OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

Why not add some silkscreen or copper artwork? If you have real estate that won't be affected by any resonant bits if done in copper. Or is this a production product?

Sounds like fun.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

We've standardized on ENIG boards with white silk on blue mask, except that our logo and board title are in the mask layer, so they come out in gold. Bling bling!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There are lots of recipes where MAGA\h\h\h\h mega garlic is just right. Roast lamb is not one of them.

Pro tip: Nowadays New Zealand lamb is mostly mutton--way too strong tasting, and tough as nails. Get the domestic stuff.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Do you make breakfast burritos with canned pintos?

Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, just so.

Except my father taught me to hand-chop the mint, and I still do that out of habit.

Worryingly, I suppose that's like the "leg of lamb" fable I used to teach my daughter not to accept things without understanding...

"Mummy, why do you cut off the end of the leg of lamb before roasting it?"

"Because that's what your granny always did".

"Granny, why did you cut off the end of the leg of lamb before roasting it?"

Pause for thought.

"Because the oven was too small for it to fit in otherwise".

But I'll also correctly claim that a leafy texture and partly crushing the leaves is A Good Thing.

I like garlic, but wouldn't put it a simple roast.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I tend to leave meat in the fridge /well/ past its "sell by" date. If the best meat is hung for 30 days, I might as well try to emulate what the butchers ought to have done.

And then there's the leg of pork hanging in my cellar since before Christmas. Ought to start eating that soon.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

We do yellow silk on blue mask. ENIG boards. My latest innovation is to not solder mask the vias.

lunatic fringe electronics

Interesting.

So you make great pronouncements about what it is like to live here, without actually living here.

That explains a lot.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Or impulse selling.

I remember pricing up my train set in 1971, choosing to use the newfangled currency, and being delighted at how easy it was.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

This is a design refresh of a laser controller that we did in 2002. It had an ancient FPGA and a 68K CPU.

The new design is even simpler than the old one. Analog precision is being replaced by more bits and polynomials.

I'm guessing that 10 or 15% of the ICs made in the world have their exposures controlled by this box.

lunatic fringe electronics

Make Aioli Great Again.

Or veal.

lunatic fringe electronics

That question is academic.

Next time you're out west, we'll take you to have what is officially the best burrito in the USA, about a mile from here.

lunatic fringe electronics

Why was there a guinea? Maybe a pound made of better grade gold?

lunatic fringe electronics

Simon and I are planning to come to Photonics West in Feb with a bunch of potential OEM products to push, so that ought to work ought just right.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Will you have a booth?

lunatic fringe electronics

** Idiotic false news.

Fact is, in everyday matters the UK never left imperial units.

Miles, yards, feet, pounds, ounces, gallons and pints are in regular use as is of course their currency - UK pound.

FYI;

Australia adopted dollars and cents along with metric measures for damn near everything decades ago.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** That says it all really.

Many autistics cannot enjoy watching TV or films cos nearly all of it passes right over their pointed little heads.

Near total lack of insight, empathy and an ability to quickly form intelligent "theories of thought" are the reasons.

Horrible people.

.... Phil

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Jan Panteltje wrote in news:qhhggl$bl2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

They were obviously talked into it by Donald J. Trump, the other anti-smart human on the globe.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

No, my problem with TV is that the content is usually trash and especially the data rate, the effective bandwidth, is way too low. I read about 400 wpm and nobody talks that fast.

And when I'm reading, I can scan a paragraph, or a chapter, and usually determine if it has worthwhile content, and skip ahead to something more interesting. I can't very well do that with a TV show. It just drones along. Commercials don't help any. Even PBS here now has endless ads.

In general, the first paragraph, the "lede" of a newspaper or magazine article, is blather and can be skipped. A really good novel begins with a great first line.

I'm a tad austic in that I don't appreciate most art or poetry or music and have no interest in Facebook type stuff. No big loss; those are mainly fluff anyhow. I love to read great novels and history and of course electronics.

Electronic design, especially design that interfaces with physics and optics and mechanical systems, requires some wide-ranging thinking.

What's your favorite novel? Favorite movie? Favorite history book?

lunatic fringe electronics

2pi = 6 is usually close enough.

It's a game in our place to do math in our heads, standing at the whiteboard.

Does that RC time constant affect the loop? Think for three or four seconds and decide.

Newbies and visitors are impressed.

lunatic fringe electronics