OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

UK to move back to imperial units?
 https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/26/the-comma-touch-jacob-rees-mogg-sends-language-rules-to-staff

Now all we need is Pi = 3 (or 4)
How very sad when clueless politicians dictate science,
hope UK leaves EU today.

Absolutely unacceptable, and shows the ongoing chaos,
got to be a sign of an IQ equal to apes.
Ask yourself what is the future for UK now,
this sort of dictatorship seems unacceptable to any sane person,
those lot are hopefully still a majority in the UK.
I am not pleased to learn about this folly.

duh

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

             ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Uh-oh! I think that's one of his banned words you just used there, Jan! :)

But seriously, this is the Guardian, which is hell-bent on getting Brexit
reversed at all costs. GuardianBB%C=CNN=MSNBC; they're all in the same
bracket when it comes to fake news. So you can take this article with a
pinch of salt; it's just an unfunny joke.

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?
On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 12:45:18 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

Even worse than fake news: predictable news.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

Predictable using hindsight, yeah. Demonstrate how you predicted this
piece of news, LOL.

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

"Predictable news" is like "zero-ohm resistor."

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

0603 or 0204? They carry them all over the place you know :-).

I watched - somewhat by chance - "The Loudest Voice", the series
is yet to complete. No idea how fact based it is - never watched
FOX news - but if marginally true then I can see at least part of
what strengthened the division in the US. Are they non-zero-ohm in
your opinion?

When it comes to local politicians I have long since stopped
listening to them, they are negative R resistors, meaning I know
what they will say long before they have even thought of it.
I hate to say but with the US president as loud as this one is
I am getting there as well all the way from the other side of
the globe...

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

I can't say. I never watch television.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

But how did you know about the other news sources you branded as
"worse than fake, predictable"?

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

Well, I do check the web and get two print newspapers.

What's crazy is that you show me an outrageously unbalanced "news"
article, I can pretty well assign it to a list of likely sources. The
"reporting" is that prejudiced and predictable.

Journalism, honest research and reporting of findings, is mostly dead.

I need a hot dog. PCB layout is hungry work.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

Well fox news do have a website as well you know :-).
I also get the news on the web, what else. Mostly the BBC.
While eating in front of the tv sometimes I watch sky news.

How do you "balance" news like that? I mean it is as moronic
as it gets, unless proven false - which does not seem to be
the case - it is what it is, this person is in office and
has said all that. Good luck balancing that.

 > I need a hot dog. PCB layout is hungry work.

I ate more than I had to already - which did not help
soldering a 78l033 and a 78l12 - both of them, to-92 - the wrong way
around. I replaced the 78l033 after noticing it was shorted
input to output and put it back again the wrong way around, that
looking at a photo of the first board (just two of them, really
simple buffers and a stepdown on it). (The first board has worked for
over a year now, mostly at the customers).
So beware, eating can be counterproductive :-). I'll make tea now
and hopefully solder them the correct way around.....

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

Well, you know what boys do when their wife is away: eat meat over the
sink.

Actually, The Brat and I are working on a PCB layout together this
weekend, in shifts. I'm doing the basic placement and routing of
example channels, and she can replicate them. She really likes routing
BGAs and doing power pours, so I'll let her do that too.

This board is embarassing; it will be about half whitespace when it's
done. There's almost no way to make a low density board look good.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqod5khgpoa9lzn/TEM_Plus_A7.jpg?raw=1

We pass notes to one another in red, on layer 10.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

Why not add some silkscreen or copper artwork? If you have real estate
that won't be affected by any resonant bits if done in copper. Or is
this a production product?

Sounds like fun.

John

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

We've standardized on ENIG boards with white silk on blue mask, except
that our logo and board title are in the mask layer, so they come out in
gold.  Bling bling!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

We do yellow silk on blue mask. ENIG boards. My latest innovation is
to not solder mask the vias.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

This is a design refresh of a laser controller that we did in 2002. It
had an ancient FPGA and a 68K CPU.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0txd32wwh9lbsbd/DSC06492.JPG?raw=1

The new design is even simpler than the old one. Analog precision is
being replaced by more bits and polynomials.

I'm guessing that 10 or 15% of the ICs made in the world have their
exposures controlled by this box.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

** That says it all really.

Many autistics cannot enjoy watching TV or films cos nearly all of it passes right over their pointed little heads.

Near total lack of insight, empathy and an ability to quickly form intelligent "theories of thought" are the reasons.

Horrible people.

....  Phil

....  Phil

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?
On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 17:28:39 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison

No, my problem with TV is that the content is usually trash and
especially the data rate, the effective bandwidth, is way too low. I
read about 400 wpm and nobody talks that fast.

And when I'm reading, I can scan a paragraph, or a chapter, and
usually determine if it has worthwhile content, and skip ahead to
something more interesting. I can't very well do that with a TV show.
It just drones along. Commercials don't help any. Even PBS here now
has endless ads.

In general, the first paragraph, the "lede" of a newspaper or magazine
article, is blather and can be skipped. A really good novel begins
with a great first line.

I'm a tad austic in that I don't appreciate most art or poetry or
music and have no interest in Facebook type stuff. No big loss; those
are mainly fluff anyhow. I love to read great novels and history and
of course electronics.

Electronic design, especially design that interfaces with physics and
optics and mechanical systems, requires some wide-ranging thinking.

What's your favorite novel? Favorite movie? Favorite history book?

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

** What absolute lunacy.

** How does this narcissistic prick hold a conversation with anyone who is not autistic ??

The answer is *very badly* and with nil comprehension.

** That is not a little bit, that is MASSIVE autism.

** Larkin simply has no idea what I am alluding to.

 He only rationalises and bullshits to hide his disability from himself.

 Totally evil person.

.....  Phil

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?
On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:31:17 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison

Agreed, I don't.

I'm pretty happy and pretty successful. I have a beautiful smart wife
and two dynamite daughters. They can be social for me while I design
stuff. What's wrong with that? The world needs good electronics.

Not at all. I've done a lot of good. Most engineers make the world
better. We reduce disorder. We make things work.

Where are the links to the lateral mosfets? To great novels and
movies?

You snip the things that you don't want to deal with. That's a kind of
disability itself.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

Engineering is a huge good for the world on the whole. Unlike many other subjects. Phil is off in his own world again.

NT

Site Timeline