OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

Your points are strawman arguments, which would be clearly seen if you hadn't chosen to snip the context.

Unimpressive, but typical of those that use acronyms such as "msm".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

If you do find an open source replacement for Android which actually works reasonably well, please let us know. Last time I asked about this on one of the linux discussion groups no one could point to one, which seems very odd, but perhaps times have moved on now. I can but hope anyway.

Cursitor Doom

So what context did I snip ?, please explain.

Quite happy to debate, but arm waving says nothing...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I found a very old bare PCB to play with. Here's a Caddock 50 ohm dpak being abused.

I'm seeing 17 K/W in still air, 13 with a fan. The DPAK is painfully hot but the copper patch on the bottom of the board (just like the one on top) is just warm. The vias seem to dominate theta.

My pulse generator can via the dpak to the layer 2 ground pour as well as to a copper patch on the bottom, so that should be a bit better, but that klunky via pattern has to be improved.

OT, interesting TDR.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We bailed out of most of our EE labs and faked the reports. We developed a precisely sloppy way to use a slide rule that made beautiful looking scatter plots, just like a careful experimenter would have done it.

We got As when everyone else was struggling for Ds. Most of the equipment in the lab was broken.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That would explain why a BBC 1pm news weather presenter recently looked at his graphics, showing "20-100mm" of rain expected over Scotland, pointed at it quite straight faced, "... worse over the mountains, yes, that's a metre of rain, that's possible, and could cause significant problems".

I'd have thought a metre of rain would have mostly washed Scotland into the North sea.

Only out by a factor of 10. If we're talking orders of magnitude, it's only an off by one error :)

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

He is a sophist with almost enough intelligence to get away with it too. He has all the characteristics of Janus facing both ways at once. He is massively in favour of Brexit but his firm has set up a branch office in Dublin to get around any problems his Brexit lunacy creates for the UK.

Not all of us are rich enough or suitably connected to obtain an Irish passport (my cousin qualifies and has obtained hers). I was forced to renew my UK passport early because of the UK rules screw up and I narrowly missed getting one of the utter c*ck up ones that assumed Brexit did happen on 29th March. I would have loved having one of those!

Piss up in brewery this lot could not organise. It will be fun to watch it all go to Hell in a handcart on Halloween.

He may yet prove to be a decent leader of the house. He could hardly be worse than Leadsom. Time will tell.

It depends what those opinions are. Holocaust denial is back in fashion in some circles in the UK :(

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Sorry, but I am only too aware of the futility of wrestling a pig in a mud bath.

Nobody else cares, and you aren't going to change your mind.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You say that like it's a bad thing. Bookburning aside, 'no online updates' means no historical revisionist tampering. Lies can be exposed, with the author's name associated with them, which is rather a polite way to keep authors honest.

If NIST wants to publish errata for Abramowitz and Stegun's handbook, that can be harvested from the online source, though. Just KNOW the source, or be forever subject to trickery.

Reply to
whit3rd

The flaw there, is that the plating doesn't 'throw' as much copper into small vias, both because the E-field at the throat doesn't penetrate, and because the circumference is less. Boost the copper plating too much, and the PTH makes a bump so the pad doesn't rest on the plane.

Mill a hole, and glue a heatpipe to the backside, for real heatsinking. Or stop trying to mechanically mount by surface-soldering for the high heat parts.

Reply to
whit3rd

** What have glowworms got to do with anything ?

Trees harvested for paper are replaced in cultivated forests.

** One huge advantage is their contents do not suddenly change or disappear at the whim of anyone.
** Absurdly negative view from someone with a very defective brain.

The internet turns such people from harmless weirdos into dangerous misinfo

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Maybe right, but I prefer an optimistic view, even if it means disappointment from time to time. If you always look at the ground, all you see is dirt, right ?.

Whatever, but like electronic design, if you cant visualise the end result, how can you ever start to work out the steps needed to get there ?...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Hmm. He certainly sings the songs Russian trolls sing, 1:1 to what they push on Bulgarian news comment sections etc. I genuinely thought he was one of them trolls, his political posts are certainly what a Russian troll would post.

Probably he just parrots what he has been subjected to via some of the media the Russians have in their pocket.

Is he the "always wrong" guy and the guy who may be some 10 years ago was "massive prong"? I have very rarely read this group last few years so I could not tell.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Got any actual data about that, or are you just guessing?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Tue, 30 Jul 2019 16:37:49 -0700 (PDT)) it happened whit3rd wrote in :

I never was much into who wrote what, more if the content makes sense and was useful to me. History is always re-written by the winner. As a kid I grew up with Van Aisberg's 'That is how radio works', 'That is how television works' and at age 8 or so was telling the repair man how to fix our radio... :-) Those books in a way formed my future. As other poster mentioned I do not care about the name or exact dates of all the wars and generals.. we had to learn those in school.

These days with internet and google you can broaden your view both in electronics and other sciences without paging through hundreds of books in libraries. All in minutes, no need to go anywhere and as much in depth as you want.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

One deluded right-winger posting excuses for an even more deluded right-winger.

I can't recall any electronics-related posting from Cursitor Doom. Maybe James Arthur could post a link to an example.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

At one point I subscribed to both the Guardian (for the news) and the Daily Telegraph (for the job ads). I got to notice that the Daily Telegraph left out details from news stories that suited their political agenda.

The Guardian's stories were thus more comprehensive, and I never caught the m leaving out stuff that the Daily Telegraph had published. It's a long tim e ago - around 1975 - before Murdoch had bought the Times.

Since Murdoch still owns an appreciable chunk of the British main stream me dia, the proposition the the UK main stream media is predominantly left win g is bizarre, and the idea that they'd do anything as obvious (and demonstr able) as "twisting the facts" is even odder.

Right-wing nitwits do regard any news story they don't like as "fake news", which is to say it hasn't been faked to suite them.

The lack of intelligence being put on display here is contemptible. One can 't blame the Guardian for publishing articles that don't conform to Chris's bizarre delusions, even if he thinks they ought to.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The problem with the UK is that people get chosen on the basis of their soc ial class, as well as their abilities. Kids who went to Eton are over-repre sented in the corridors of power. They might have been picked from the brig hter kids who went through Eton, but there were almost certainly brighter c andidates who hadn't gone to Eton (or even Fettes' in Edinburgh).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Field lines that put copper onto the sidewalls of a hole, are radial inside the hole. The math of electric fields is my reasoning, and complaints in the literature about plating inside holes is supporting data (Printed Circuits Handbook, Clyde Coombs is where I recall reading about this).

Reply to
whit3rd

The objectives and results of a "troll" and a "useful fool" are very similar.

Yes, because he has stated that Russia Today is his "most trusted news source". (See below)

Not "always wrong", more like a "stopped clock".

His previous message...

On 31/08/17 22:59, Cursitor Doom wrote: > On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 11:22:14 -0700, lonmkusch wrote: > >> While you're deciding, I think I'm going to stroll over to RT for some >> good unbiased news. > > If you can't see that RT is a zillion times more reputable as a news > source than CNN/NBC/BBC et al, you must be totally blind. Sure they > aren't 100% impartial; no news organisation is. But they are my most > trusted news source even if not yours - until such time as I ever > discover otherwise, of course.

Reply to
Tom Gardner