OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

"Predictable news" is like "zero-ohm resistor."

lunatic fringe electronics

The official test of Real American Manhood is to down a pint of the most intense, bitter, nasty, hop-overloaded IPA available. Extra points if it's sour too, or accompanied by a jalapeno-packed, hot-sauce-soaked breakfast burrito.

Lumbersexual brogrammers all agree on that.

lunatic fringe electronics

0603 or 0204? They carry them all over the place you know :-).

I watched - somewhat by chance - "The Loudest Voice", the series is yet to complete. No idea how fact based it is - never watched FOX news - but if marginally true then I can see at least part of what strengthened the division in the US. Are they non-zero-ohm in your opinion?

When it comes to local politicians I have long since stopped listening to them, they are negative R resistors, meaning I know what they will say long before they have even thought of it. I hate to say but with the US president as loud as this one is I am getting there as well all the way from the other side of the globe...

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

"Predictably fake news" even.

Cursitor Doom

I can't say. I never watch television.

lunatic fringe electronics

But how did you know about the other news sources you branded as "worse than fake, predictable"?

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

There are no "N.I border issues" - this is a contrivance thrown up by the Remain brigade to block Brexit. They want it to prove an insurmountable obstacle which is nonsense - but it's the best they could think of. :-D

Cursitor Doom

Served us perfectly well for centuries. I for one would love to see them re-introduced. In fact I might even move back if that happened.

Cursitor Doom

And you will found the "back into the cavesit" party, yeah.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

On a sunny day (Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:38:01 -0000 (UTC)) it happened John Doe wrote in :

I hardly watch TV, do record some movies every now and then, sports? I was working in the garden today, we have tropic temperatures here. like this 2019 07 27 04:44 t 19.6 \ rh 67.0 / t_min 16.9 at 01:56 t_max 40.5 at 17:44 rh_min LL at 12:38 rh_max 67.0 at 04:42 Stopped for a wile to drink a lot of fruit juice.. I do not see the point of looking for hours at somebody bouncing a ball... Was never into sports, that it is good for your health is bull, many famous footballers died young. Better sit behind the PC :-) OK I do some biking too.

I run Linux and have 'the units' program: ~ # units

1948 units, 71 prefixes, 28 functions

You have: 10 mph You want: kmh conformability error 4.4704 m / s 1 kg m^2 / A^2 s^2 You have: 10 m/h You want: km/h * 0.01 / 100 You have: 10 miles/hour You want: km/hour * 16.09344 / 0.062137119 With some trying OK

Yes the crazy translation to Dutch I see at aliexpress shows a lot needs to be done. Same for Chinglish manuals for things I bought on ebay.

We are already commie-nukating through computers.

Here in the Netherlands in kindergarten they started with Dutch and French in my time. Starting young is good. In high school German, English and French again.

Later I studied some Portuguese, started on Chinese but stopped, lost interest. Could pick up anytime if I think it is needed

Best way to learn a language is go there, and think in that language, There is a common thing in all those languages, sometimes I remember something I read but have no idea what language I did read it it anymore.

Things like satellite, at least here in Europe, give you thousands of channels (no kidding the memory of my Chinese cheap sat box was full after just auto-scanning 2 sats, but there are maybe 40 or more I can receive). But watching those channels or listening (radio too) can help you learn the languages. But learning basic grammar and writing is always a must and takes time.

I think maybe AI but then there would be different trained AI translators, and some would then have their own ideas, so be like a person, and there you go. And freaking networks governments recording and listening to everything in your house in ANY language,. What a world.

I could write a bot and you would find it maybe hard to know you talk to a computer There is the old 'Eliza' or something (have it somewhere) program that would keep you busy:_) If you fell for it, OTOH some people are like that I think.

A simple example, for a bit that could be written in a few thousand lines, is one that plays Agent Orange, the Precedent. Nobody would know the difference,. In fact maybe he has a chip controlled by NethanYahoo.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 27 Jul 2019 12:45:18 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Cursitor Doom wrote in :

Correct, I tried to violate all of those in that posting :-)

Not so sure it was here in the news too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well, I do check the web and get two print newspapers.

What's crazy is that you show me an outrageously unbalanced "news" article, I can pretty well assign it to a list of likely sources. The "reporting" is that prejudiced and predictable.

Journalism, honest research and reporting of findings, is mostly dead.

I need a hot dog. PCB layout is hungry work.

lunatic fringe electronics

Exactly. Round here French mint grows wild, so we pick a bunch and put it into the food processor with rice vinegar, a bit of water, and a tiny tiny bit of sugar.

Just the thing for roast lamb or lamb chops. (I prefer chops, because various-people-who-shall-not-be-named think it's a good idea to put cloves of garlic in roast lamb. Blech.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Pure sour grapes (or maybe hops). I don't drink a lot of beer on account of the carbs, but my preference is firmly in the 120 minute IPA direction.

Re: breakfast burritos--the champ in my experience is from the Flying Star in north Albuquerque. The surprise ingredient is canned pinto beans, complete with the (somewhat gelatinous) fluid.

Amazing.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Making the currency more complicated is a good way of reducing impulse buying. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Who as a boy spent the month of July 1971 with his late Mum in the UK, and collected all the change she couldn't figure out.)

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well fox news do have a website as well you know :-). I also get the news on the web, what else. Mostly the BBC. While eating in front of the tv sometimes I watch sky news.

How do you "balance" news like that? I mean it is as moronic as it gets, unless proven false - which does not seem to be the case - it is what it is, this person is in office and has said all that. Good luck balancing that.

I ate more than I had to already - which did not help soldering a 78l033 and a 78l12 - both of them, to-92 - the wrong way around. I replaced the 78l033 after noticing it was shorted input to output and put it back again the wrong way around, that looking at a photo of the first board (just two of them, really simple buffers and a stepdown on it). (The first board has worked for over a year now, mostly at the customers). So beware, eating can be counterproductive :-). I'll make tea now and hopefully solder them the correct way around.....

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Ok, we can agree on that: amazing.

lunatic fringe electronics

I said to Mo, "Am I using too much garlic?"

Her response was "Excuse me, but I don't understand those words."

We are celebrating now, because the fresh garlic crop, huge pungent bulbs, have arrived.

lunatic fringe electronics

Well, you know what boys do when their wife is away: eat meat over the sink.

Actually, The Brat and I are working on a PCB layout together this weekend, in shifts. I'm doing the basic placement and routing of example channels, and she can replicate them. She really likes routing BGAs and doing power pours, so I'll let her do that too.

This board is embarassing; it will be about half whitespace when it's done. There's almost no way to make a low density board look good.

We pass notes to one another in red, on layer 10.

lunatic fringe electronics

You mean out of spec?

Jasen Betts