OT: Simplest cell

I've just got the March 7 2022 New Yorker.

It mentions the Crag Venter "simplest cell" work and talks about what has gone on since.

Nothing earth-shaking, but there has been some progress. It's pitched at the John Larkin level (or perhaps a little higher).

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

On a sunny day (Wed, 23 Mar 2022 19:43:43 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Anthony William Sloman snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

<quote>

The discovery requires a shift in our basic ideas about cellular life. For decades, biologists had assumed that activity in the cytoplasm was essentially random; the cellular world churned with such dramatic speed that the right proteins would eventually bump into one another. But it turned out that some molecules in the cytoplasm weren't randomly circulating. They were swirling in ways that brought related parties together. ... <end quote>

Exactly, just like atoms and molecules forming.

All is conscious.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Rubbish. If the molecules involved have structural features that let them bond weakly so they tended to stick together to some extent when they did come in contact, they will stay in contact for longer. There's nothing conscious about it.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

NOBODY likes the John Doe troll's contentless spam.

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has continued to post incorrectly formatted USENET articles that are devoid of content (latest example on Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:44:37 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <t1hb1k$luo$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me).

Further, Troll Doe stated the following in message-id <svsh05$lbh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me posted Fri, 4 Mar 2022 08:01:09 -0000 (UTC):

Yet, since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) Troll Doe's post ratio to USENET has been 54.5% of its posts contributing "nothing except insults" to USENET.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that the John Doe troll does not even follow the rules it uses to troll other posters.

xMvTGiHVHrtg

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

NOBODY likes the John Doe troll's contentless spam.

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has continued to post incorrectly formatted USENET articles that are devoid of content (latest example on Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:44:58 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <t1hb2a$luo$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me).

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that the John Doe troll does not even follow the rules it uses to troll other posters.

AmLRfUP5l3jL

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

NOBODY likes the John Doe troll's contentless spam.

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has continued to post incorrectly formatted USENET articles that are devoid of content (latest example on Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:45:16 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <t1hb2s$luo$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me).

Further, Troll Doe stated the following in message-id <svsh05$lbh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me posted Fri, 4 Mar 2022 08:01:09 -0000 (UTC):

Yet, since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) Troll Doe's post ratio to USENET has been 54.5% of its posts contributing "nothing except insults" to USENET.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that the John Doe troll does not even follow the rules it uses to troll other posters.

MK7+24b3rcFP

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:06:40 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <t1hfrf$h0m$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that the John Doe troll does not even follow it's own rules that it uses to troll other posters.

PtS8JO01uzxG

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:06:54 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <t1hfrt$h0m$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that the John Doe troll does not even follow it's own rules that it uses to troll other posters.

o3oYWLCwwEpF

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:07:05 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <t1hfs9$h0m$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

fHMh8tSZtvrC

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

Of course, there's a lot more information in a cell than the central DNA carries. Mitochondria, fibers, all sort of stuff that has to be reproduced when a cell divides. That gets crazy complex too.

Reply to
jlarkin

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Fri, 25 Mar 2022 05:30:08 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <t1jk10$ojk$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

zkvM4FSmUD3n

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

NOBODY likes the John Doe troll's contentless spam.

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has continued to post incorrectly formatted USENET articles that are devoid of content (latest example on Fri, 25 Mar 2022 05:30:33 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <t1jk1p$ojk$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me).

Further, Troll Doe stated the following in message-id <svsh05$lbh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me posted Fri, 4 Mar 2022 08:01:09 -0000 (UTC):

Yet, since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) Troll Doe's post ratio to USENET has been 55.1% of its posts contributing "nothing except insults" to USENET.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that the John Doe troll does not even follow the rules it uses to troll other posters.

/KdRuTl+Q2d8

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Fri, 25 Mar 2022 11:54:10 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <t1kah2$qj4$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that the John Doe troll does not even follow it's own rules that it uses to troll other posters.

aXZmTsDUu2eZ

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

NOBODY likes the John Doe troll's contentless spam.

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has continued to post incorrectly formatted USENET articles that are devoid of content (latest example on Fri, 25 Mar 2022 11:54:22 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <t1kahd$qj4$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me).

Further, Troll Doe stated the following in message-id <svsh05$lbh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me posted Fri, 4 Mar 2022 08:01:09 -0000 (UTC):

Yet, since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) Troll Doe's post ratio to USENET has been 55.3% of its posts contributing "nothing except insults" to USENET.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that the John Doe troll does not even follow the rules it uses to troll other posters.

ExKH1Pl9hvVE

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

Far from it. The molecular associations that bring the molecules discussed together are much weaker than regular chemical bonds - more like hydrogen bonds.

John Larkin did get one thing right - mitochondria do carry their own DNA (though not much of it)and it is only passed through the female.

Everything else is programmed by the regular diploid DNA in the nucleus. It's all complicated, but it is programmed by the DNA. Any craziness comes John Larkin's inadequate and superficial grasp if what is going on

And John Doe can only say "but". One has to wonder why he bothers - but he does seem to have this compulsion to post something even when even he should be able to realise that it's a waste of bandwidth.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman