I've got parasites

I know no one can tell me exactly why, but someone can at least give me some thoughts here. Ok, my problem. First of all, when I set my Tek 475 to

2mV/div, 200MHz BW with an open circuit probe, I get about 20mV (it's a 10x probe) of noise, primarily at approximately 90MHz. I've tried turning off basically everything in the house and that hasn't stopped it. (Amazingly, I didn't see any change at all when turning off my computer and monitor just five feet away!)

So I've reassembled my medium power induction test circuit.

(All neet and shiny with tight 12AWG hookups and bypass caps. Same old sextet of STW11NB80's.)

When I turn on the drive circuit,

I immediately get something like 0.5V of amplitude modulated noise across the ground-return resistor (0.1 ohm, eh probably inductive). It's a perfect keyed CW envelope, modulated by the 5-200kHz drive signal as it is.

I tried sniffing around with a balanced twisted pair with 1" dia. loop on the end, but that didn't tell me much besides the circuit is somewhere radiating noise...no shit!

Tim

Tim Williams

FM radio station, most likely.

Sometimes the easiest way to track down low-level stability problems is to "build" your circuit in LTSpice. LTSpice has the advantage of perfect immunity to environmental effects.

-- jm

Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

John Miles

- I don't know of one any of siginificant power nearby. I'm not in a big city. The college has one but I don't think it's that strong.

There is a local AM geezer (WGEZ, really!) radio station that gets into just about everything, but being a non-relatavistic rate of voltage change, I can squash that easily enough in most cases, including here.

For Pete's sake I can't even short the VHF signal at the scope connector, how does that work!?

At any rate, as much as it has to be an external signal, how would you explain the keying effect when the drive circuit is turned on? The local circuit would have to be acting as a passive resonator or something!

Well, that won't help much, because I already know the circuit works, on paper and in reality. Besides which, simulators tend to go with perfect connections. I don't know about LTSpice in particular, but I'm guessing it wouldn't know the difference if I had one of the MOSFETs on the other side of the room on some ten foot pigtail leads.

Tim

Tim Williams
90 MHz would be about right for a college station..

how far away is it?

And what about if you disconnect the probe complely from the scope...see it then?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

You mean, you remove probes and all connections to the scope and short the BNC connector at the scope with, say, a screwdriver and the problem is still there? If yes, the problem is internal to the scope.

There is usually a switch near the input that selects DC/AC/GND. Put it to GND. Still there? Yes = scope internal problem.

2 cents, please.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John - kd5yi

Set the trigger right, and see if you can resolve the frequency accurately. Now, tune a FM radio to that freq, and see if it is or isn't.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

It's obviously the spirits. Try running it through an audio discriminator, or maybe a reverse flux capacitor arrangement, and see if you can discern what they're trying to tell you.

Don't forget the hat, of course:

Cheers! Rich ------ "Teddy Kennedy: A Blond in Every Pond!"

Reply to
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko

What? Are you saying that if you directly short the input connector of your scope to its own ground, you still see the noise?

The scope is broken.

Sorry, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

DO NOT STICK A SCREWDRIVER OF ANY KIND INTO A BNC SOCKET!

Don't even use a paper clip. It will damage the contacts.

Find a piece of #24 or smaller bare copper wire (these are abundant in telephone trunks, which you can usually find lying in the crap pile at construction sites), and maybe an alligator clip; poke the wire into the socket hole, and bend it into intimate contact with the shell.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Shoould he use the scope probe for an antenna? ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

Sorry for the confusion, I was using a tee connector. Still, that's balls-all inductance, I don't see how the signal can get past a short like that, at least for another few hundred MHz.

With no antenna, or the input GND'd, it shows no signal. Even a 2" stub of wire will register a signal.

87.5MHz is the exact value I get, something like 7 cycles in 8 div at 10ns/div. Ten percent error smears it over half the damned frequency band, so it could be only what, 40 channels on the dial, or one of 40 more that don't exist! (under 88MHz) I don't have a frequency counter high enough, or any other way to lock it more precisely.

BTW: there is a college radio station a few blocks down the street(!), but I don't know how strong it is (tell me, how many FM radios do you own that came with AVC and an indicator? ;).

Does anyone have an explanation how the induction drive circuit appears to be amplifying the signal in modulation to the drive output?

Tim

Tim Williams

I tried just about every appliance in the house, including the network (the CAT5 does happen to run quite near the experiment... which caused network troubles when I was playing with small CW Tesla coils ;), but there was no change.

Tim

Tim Williams

Turn your TV to channel 6, and listen as you watch the trace. :-)

Or, turn your TV _off_. (or maybe your computer. and unplug the microwave and VCR.) ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise