New Solar Cell

I just found this article and am wondering if it is good enough to use where I live. I live in Ohio where we get plenty of cold cloudy days, and even in the summer we don't really have enough sun to get an advantage using solar cells. I'm wondering if this new invention will let people like me begin to use alternative energy?

Solar Cell Breaks the 40% Efficiency Barrier

A photovoltaic (PV) cell achieved a milestone earlier this week with a conversion efficiency of 40.7 percent. Produced by Spectrolab, Inc. and funded in part by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), the breakthrough could lead to PV systems with an installed cost of $3 per watt -- and produce electricity at a cost of $0.08 to $0.10 cents per kilowatt-hour.

The 40.7 percent cell was developed using a structure called a multi-junction solar cell. This type of cell achieves a higher efficiency by capturing more of the solar spectrum. In a multi-junction cell, individual cells are made of layers, where each layer captures part of the sunlight passing through the cell -- allowing the cell to absorb more energy from the sun's light.

According to Spectrolab, high efficiency multijunction cells have an advantage over conventional silicon cells in concentrator systems because fewer solar cells are required to achieve the same power output.

"These results are particularly encouraging since they were achieved using a new class of metamorphic semiconductor materials, allowing much greater freedom in multijunction cell design for optimal conversion of the solar spectrum," said Dr. Richard R. King, principal investigator of the high efficiency solar cell research and development effort. "The excellent performance of these materials hints at still higher efficiency in future solar cells."

For the past two decades researchers have tried to break the "40 percent efficient" barrier on solar cell devices. In the early 1980s, DOE began researching what are known as "multi-junction gallium arsenide-based solar cell devices," multi-layered solar cells which converted about 16 percent of the sun's available energy into electricity. In 1994, DOE's National Renewable Energy laboratory broke the 30 percent barrier, which attracted interest from the space industry. Most satellites today use these multi-junction cells.

"Reaching this milestone heralds a great achievement for the Department of Energy and for solar energy engineering worldwide," Alexander Karsner, Assistant Secretary for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy at the U.S. DOE. "We are eager to see this accomplishment translate into the marketplace as soon as possible, which has the potential to help reduce our nation's reliance on imported oil and increase our energy security."

Almost all of today's solar cell modules do not concentrate sunlight but use only what the sun produces naturally, what researchers call "one sun insolation," which achieves an efficiency of 12 to 18 percent. However, by using an optical concentrator, sunlight intensity can be increased, squeezing more electricity out of a single solar cell.

"This solar cell performance is the highest efficiency level any photovoltaic device has ever achieved," said Dr. David Lillington, president of Spectrolab. "The terrestrial cell we have developed uses the same technology base as our space-based cells. So, once qualified, they can be manufactured in very high volumes with minimal impact to production flow."

Development of the high-efficiency concentrator cell technology was funded by NREL's High Performance Photovoltaics program and Spectrolab.

Reply to
CoreyWhite

[snip]

Isn't warm fuzzy science so grand ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Getting people to use alternative energy is, for many people, more of the simple choice to do so or not than it is anything having to do with breakthroughs in efficiencies. True, sticking today's solar panels on your home has a payback of somewhere between "quite a while" (say, a decade) and "never" depending on how you want to cook the numbers, but if you're in the market for, say, a $200k+ house anyway (i.e., one there's spendy enough in your part of the country that you're clearly paying for "features" and not strictly a roof over your head, a functioning furnace, and a single bedroom), spending the extra, say, $20k for solar is not going significantly increase your mortgage, change your lifestyle, etc.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It sounds kinda like it's done with mirrors. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Solar cells work off of light levels, not heat or whether or not you can see the sun. Solar cells will charge in the middle of a snowstorm, as long as you don't have a foot of snow covering the panel. Even a cloudy day provides more than 1000 foot-candles (10,760 lux), which is MORE than enough for solar cells to charge.

/Roy

P.S. If you're ever in New York City and feel like being geekish, here's an interesting experiment to do. Hook up a 12V meter to a solar panel. There is actually enough illumination from all the neon signs to charge a solar panel in the middle of Times Square - at midnight. It's freaky.

/Roy

Reply to
Roy. Just Roy.

That's a rather bright cloudy day! Even that is about 1/10 of good direct sunlight!

Don Klipstein

Concentrating solar panels do not work worth a damn with diffuse light.

"More than enough to charge" is not remotely near enough for net energy breakeven. All you are doing is destroying gasoline.

Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Isn't this paper becoming a bit dated (2002)?

There are many pop-sciene articles everywhere, but has something usefull really happened recently? Besides pv cells with concentrators, which I suspect is rubbish.

I'm thinking about designing a small 1000W PV system on remote location (no grid). I'm considering connecting pannels (and batteries) in series to get about 120V DC and power AC/DC switchers directly. Should run the PC and anything switcher-powered, bulbs etc no problem.

Are there any gotcha's to consider?

Ok, the charger will have to be custom made to cut-off at a higher voltage.

SioL

Reply to
SioL

I feel the paper is a classic which, if anything, is becoming MORE relevant.

While there is some stuff I may add, there is nothing I would change.

The true breaktrhoughs in process are CIGS SOLAR and QUANTUM DOTS.

Use a gasoline generator instead. It is far cheaper and infinitely less delusional.

A 1000 watt PV system is a HUGE one, not a small one.

Also, a 1000 watt PV system will typically produce a lot less than you think it will. The thousand watts is for a new system for a few minutes at noon in the remote Arizona Desert on a cloud free day.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

It is significantly cheaper, but it's also a lot less reliable if the OP's intent is to have, e.g., a repeater site where you fully intend to *not* visit it on a regular basis.

That being said, I do recall reading a story about telecom repeaters in the outback of Australia where they switched from a PV-only system to a PV+generator system -- you need such a large margin in PV-only systems to guarantee, say, 99.9% uptime (1 day without power every 3 years) that it was cheaper overall to send people out to maintain the generators as needed.

1000W worth of panels certainly won't produce 24kWh of energy per day (maybe 1/5th that if you're lucky), but the calculations to figure out how much energy it will collect (on average) are readily available (you're mainly just taking into account your lattitude, the time of year, and the historical cloud cover data for your location); designing reliable PV systems is not difficult.

Wind power and tidal power also have significant power fluctuations with time, of course.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Not tidal power - that is 100% reliable and predictable.

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK\'s only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM 104.4
http://www.resonancefm.com
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Sorry, I meant wave power... the kind where you stick a bunch of buoy-looking things off shore and every time a large wave crests and falls some small amount of power is generated.

Last I heard no one had figured out how to make wave power anywhere near economical, but there were lots of research efforts (including a bunch near me at Oregon State University; they got a grant a year or two ago to build a huge indoor tidal poor to study such things).

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I suspect that if as much money had been pumped into that research as much as into nuclear then we might see some real results. This is especially true of places like Britain with a very long and tumultuous coastline.

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK\'s only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM 104.4
http://www.resonancefm.com
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Huh?

Name one tidal power site anywhere in the world that is producing 24 hours a day.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Probably none at the moment, but you are thinking too small, you use a phased array of tidal generators, around the coast.

Just because something does not create energy 24/7 does not mean it has no value

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hey, a client said he wanted solar and he's got the money :)

it will. The thousand watts is for a new system for a

I took that into account, actual needs are some 30%. Probably still a bit optimistic.

SioL

Reply to
SioL

buoy-looking

near me

huge

I find this type of device particularly interesting to see it develop

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

visit

cloud

time,

he said it fluctuates, it does, with the tidal cycle, lunar phase, and season.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Switches and fuses for high voltage DC are difficult. AC is much easier to switch off without causing arcing, the usual reason given for this is that the arc has time to extinguish when the current waveform goes through zero twice each cycle. The only easy way I know to switch off DC is with a MOSFET, though expensive switches are probably available somewhere.

On the other hand, smooth DC is much better for arc welding than AC, which you might find out when you decide to switch off a big load on your battery!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones