OT: rollerblade wheels

I'm looking for something like rollerblade wheels

But the minimum diameter is 55mm, and I think I need about 30mm dia, with the urethane covering, with good bearings Been through the farnell and RS components site,nothing obvious

any suggestions?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

look harder

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Thanks Fred, I've googled for an hour, the best hits were from " polyurethane covered bearings". But still looking, very little stuff that was COTS

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hola Martin,

Those vendors are more geared towards electronics. Look for the European equivalent of McMaster or Grainger or ask local mechanical engineers where they buy specialty stuff. Also, if you don't need the thickness check spare wheels for "Inline Skates". IIRC these are much smaller. I have even seem them really small for shoes where you'd step on a side and, click, your sneakers turn into skates.

Now don't take this offensively, but the local kids would probably be the best candidates to know where to buy all this in town.

Cordialmente, Joerg

Joerg

Ball casters?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

that kind of things:

For inline skating, the usual size is 76mm going toward 80mm as a standard. For ramp skating, the size is about 55mm as smaller means more flexibily when doing tricks. But anything smaller does not really makes sense for the general public.

Reply to
OBones

Do those come in SMD types?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hi OBones

Its not for skating, its for a little motion control rig prototype/bodge/concept, and the skate wheels are the closest that I could find. Still in the scribbling on paper stage but 30mm ish seems about right at the mo. I could go custom, but that would probably cost a fortune, compared with COTS.

Regretably I'm too old for rollerblading, and I live on a very steep hill :(

thnx

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Sounds like a terrible accident, but no, need to be rigid

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Sno-o-o-o-ort ;-) Good one!

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Hello Martin,

Well, check out those Heelys that OBones pointed out. I believe some are even smaller than 30mm. I didn't know they'd be so freaking expensive,

18 Euros a pop, ouch. What's also surprising is that they still list the price in Francs.

What could help is a trip to a sports store that has those kinds of shoes with built-in wheels. Heck, if it's just for a prototype you could buy a pair on sale and remove the wheels. Can't be difficult to do since they are usually serviceable. If you find your size you could still use the rest of the shoes for walking. Or leave the wheels in on one foot so you could scoot down that hill on one leg. Stretch out the other leg and hold your hands like aircraft wings to look cool enough. Oh, and wear the Porsche design sunglasses :-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Now you've done it. I don't know how long it's going to take me to stop thinking of Martin as a full-grown man acting like a silly pubescent. 8-)

Reply to
JeffM

Martin, FWIW, rollerblade bearings and wheels are normally sold separately. Googling qualified by ABEC-3 or ABEC-5 might improve your search results.

The bearings are magnificent. I estimate I've got 7,500 miles on a set of ABEC-3s despite salt, sand, and sea, with just modest maintenence.

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Fer instance:

Cheers, James

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Well, dang it! Why don't you tell us what it is you're trying to accomplish, and let all of us contribute to your goal? What are you trying to _do_ with these wheels? If I walked up to your contrivance on the street, what would I see? "Oh, look! A machine that __________!"?

McMaster-Carr has cylinders of polyurethane 20" long and 1 1/4" in diameter that can be sliced and formed into any kind of wheel you want.

So, what's the problem? ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise