Wheels for Table??

To handle our family of 20 for Thanksgiving I made an extra table from

4'x8'x3/4" oak plywood, and finished the edges with some solid oak trim.

This sits on top of a standard Costco 30"x72" folding table (alignment cleats on the bottom of the plywood to prevent slip-sliding around).

Only trouble is that it is one heavy dude. I have bad knees (from polio as a kid plus some arthritis starting to kick in) and my wife is only 5'1", so it's a pain (literally) to move to and from the garage storage area.

I'm contemplating adding some kind of wheel structure on one edge, either temporary slip-on or fold-away.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Have the wife take up weight lifting.

Remove "HeadFromButt", before replying by email.

Reply to
maxfoo

Jim, you really don't want to store that puppy all winter, might play havoc with the automatic auto parker you have in the grange. How about a bon-fire after dinner. Always save one raw hot dog to show the Fire Department when they arrive. Fires for meals are allowed. OBTW, were you able to fit that 7 lbs turkey on your BBQ?

love harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

Just google 'electrostatic anti-gravity.'

John

In Chinatown they make their table tops round and roll them around like wagon wheels. Too late for that. Cut it into a pair of 4x4 foot panels and install hinges with removable pins onto the upper surface.

--
Joe Legris
Reply to

[snip]

What's "winter" ?:-)

Did an 18-pounder in the indoor oven, in the style of Alton Brown ("Good Eats" on the Food Network), brined over-night... marvelously moist!

...Jim Thompson

Inline skate mechanism?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

-- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Spehro Pefhany

havoc

bon-fire

when

Hey Jim, you need some help here, always figure a lbs/person minimum, so you need at least >20 lbs turkey. Try stuffing it with chorizo, unions and peppers. The oil from the chorizo permeates the bird...marvelously moist. Not known to the Food Network. Better than stuffing with a hole duck. Indoor oven? Too hot outside??

cheers harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

2 2"X4"X12" 4 swivel wheels on each place edge guides along the legnth whells on each corner place one setup at each corner of table top.

Charles

Reply to
Charles W. Johnson Jr.

Hey Joe, I think you got it. Round is optimum shape in dinning tables for groups >six and easily moved. I love my 6.5' dia. round table, seats 12. JT's 2:1 aspect ratio not bad.

harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

Now for a serious reply. How about a couple of 12" square platforms with two casters apiece connected with a 3-4' 1x2" strapping. Sort of like a long narrow movers dolley. Install a set of suitably padded and spaced cleats on each platform, bung it on the edge of the 'table top', tip and slide to the floor, then wheel it off to the garage.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Cukr

Harry? Easily moved? I think that thing must weigh more than my car...

;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

for

Hi Spehro, this is "Pick on J.T. week".

Happy Holidays harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

Sort of after the fact Jim, but the round tables that most caterers use are made of really cheap plywood and meant to be moved from place to place just by rolling them on their edge. Crude but effective and a nice tablecloth hides a multitude of sins. I helped out with a caterer this past summer and found out a bunch of other things better left unsaid.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Dammit, I forgot to add the punchline:

Your wife can carry them 1 at a time.

--
Joe Legris
Reply to

But can it be SPICE'd?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
Reply to

I think I've seen removal companies using a dolley to move things like this (a small platform with casters). They turn the table through 90 degrees, lift it onto the dolley and then wheel it away.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Damn, I didn't get the memo.

Likewise to you and yours.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

havoc

bon-fire

when

What's winter?....I hate you guys this time of year!!!! Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Hi Jim,

Too late now, but 2 tables would have been the solution....did you here it's pick on JT week!!....it's in the thread...have a great holiday....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac