I'm Looking for a PIC project.

I don't have an application in mind. I mostly just want to use the thing. Well ... ok, something in RC and or robotics? I am open to all suggestions however. the PIC is a 16C74B.

Thank You,

Mica

Reply to
andro000

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

;-)

Reply to
John Popelish

A Classic

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Why don't you make a strobe?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Could I use such a strobe as a Tachometer? That would be very usefull!

Reply to
andro000

ha ... ha ... ha

Reply to
andro000

Got the tee-shirt.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Excellent advice !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

It seems odd to ask for ideas about how to use a particular microcontroller for a project. Normally, one would start with a concept, determine all the I/O and other parameters, and then find a PIC best suited to the job. The

16C74B is a very versatile part, having 40 pins with all sorts of capabilities. However, the UV erasable "C" parts are nearly all superceded by the much more versatile "F" parts, especially for initial development and debugging. I started using PICs about 5 years ago, with a 16C63, but later switched to 16F72A.

I am now using an 18F242, which has a richer instruction set, and I'm also using a PIC18F2331, which has PWM for a motor control project. There are other PICs specifically designed for R/C. I have the Microchip RFPic development package, but never used it.

Some simple projects I think would be useful are:

  1. A versatile battery charger and condition monitor, with simple LED readouts and capacity for various cell types and voltages.

  1. An AC line voltage monitor/datalogger with remote access using RS232, TCP/IP, or other means.

  2. A woodstove flue temperature monitor/datalogger with overtemperature alarm, and robotic adjustment of draft.

Paul E. Schoen

Paul E. Schoen

Does anyone remember the "DWIM module"?

--
  Keith
Reply to

But it has to "control the frequency and brightness of an LED".

--
  Keith
Reply to

Circuit Cellar cover quite a lot of topic and projects relating on PIC microcontroller. It even includes embeddeding image data on video using PIC (!), that really cool project.

You might consider knight rider LED project where you have say 10 leds (or 20) and vary the brightness left to right and vice versa using PWM. The code is based on IAR C complier once running, and it looked very very cool. I implemented this LED into my ski Helmet and every one treat me like God(!), free beer(!). Even my manager is very impressed, but no pay rise...damn!.

IAR complier provides very compact code but it is not cheap (my company pay for this) and technical support is not free after 1 years. You better off using MicroChip C complier and stick with 18F series rather than dated 16F or 17F. It has much better memory and feature and includes multiplier.

It best to stick with flash rather than C type, it easier to debug and prototype.

Good luck

Reply to
Riscy

OK, so here are a few sensor applications. Work out what's sexy and can do it for you in your area of interest ie. RC and robotics, then add some motors and LEDs.

Acceleration Air Flow Air Quality Automotive Biomedical Capacitance Current Distance Flame Flow Frequency Gas Human Motion Human Proximity Human Touch Humidity Light Liquid Magnetic Magnetoresistive Metal Microwave Moisture/Water Motion Movement Peak Phase Position Pressure Proximity Radiation Resistance RF (Radio Frequency) Rotation Seismic Smoke Speed Temperature Vacuum Vibration Voltage Water/Moisture Wind Speed

Reply to
Dave but not "Dave"

AntiSPAM_g9u5dd43

microcontroller

Not really. I have a whole bunch of leftover processors, controllers and boards lying around and I really don't know what to do with them (except for getting rid of them). Actually, I can think of many applications, but I never bothered to start or finish a single one.

--DF

Reply to
Deefoo

will also work - that other stuff is just fluff. (the ampersands separate the name=value pairs in the URL's "command line" stream.)

Also, probably

:-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

LOL!!

Ain't it the truth! ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

What strobe?

When you post from googlegroups, you need to NOT click the "reply" link at the bottom of the post. Scroll up to the header of the post, click the "show options" link, and then click _that_ "reply" link. Then google will quote context for you.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You could just ship them to me. ;-D