More than 60% efficiency 5W travel charger

Hi all,

This efficiency is under 58%.

My questions are two.

One is that it can be increased more than 60% efficiency? The other is that are there any other way not using MCU with more than

60% efficiency?

Thanks,

From Bob.
Reply to
Bob J.

Bob J. skrev:

Well - thats kind of impossible to answer without the actual circuit diagram. Post a picture of this and we might be able to help you

Also what are the conditions. Input voltage - output load?

To increase the efficiency: Use schottky diodes on the output, reduce core losses of transformer, reduce copper losses of the windings, use a better output cap to reduce ESR losses, use better RFI filter with less loss, reduce aux. circuit consumption,...............................bla bla bla

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Am I seeing a PNP pass transistor in the output?? What's that doing there when you have a switching supply that can be controlled?

Tim

Tim Williams

This is a battery charger supply with MCU controlled constant voltage, constant current mode. The most direct route to efficiency improvement is through a modern LDO in CV mode with tight preregulation by the PWM regulator, with low loss current monitoring and limiting operation. See Linear Technology for the applicable class of regulation feature availability.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Why not dump the linear regulator altogether and do as Tim suggests, controlling and using the switcher directly to charge the battery? That saves cost and cuts dissipation too.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Because in addition to making the control loops a bit hairy in some cases, it can dramatically increase noise in the battery voltage.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The circuit is an off-line battery charger that uses an MCU together with linear components to execute some kind of multistage battery charger algorithm such as CC->CV->CV,trickle w/cutout at Imin; it very well could be for LiPo. The so-called efficiency probably degrades somewhat during the low output current CV trickle phase due to the regulator circuit overhead, and is not a constant.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

The standard off-the-wall cell-phone chargers I have are straight switchers driving right into the battery (either NiMH or LiIon, depending on the charger). The LiIon chargers are constant 4.2V voltage supplies current-limited to about 400mA, typically current-mode flyback switchers. Easy.

True, there'll be some ripple voltage across the battery...if the full 400mA appeared across the 300 millohms of a typical LiIon battery, this would yield as much as 120mV of ripple, but if you really cared you could add an output filter, yes?

Best, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

But ordinary LiPo charging doesn't require *that* much sophistication: don't charge if the temp is too low or too high, and precondition low-voltage cells @

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I don't see a whole lot of off-line switchers that charge Lithium directly like that, the noise must be too much for precision voltage regulation.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

That is buck switch.

Reply to
Bob J.

I've traced a unit or two ... I'll see if I can dig up a schematic to post when I get home after the weekend. They're kind of cute.

Best, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Best, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

No, it is a current limiting circuit, somewhere around 300 to 500 mA.

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen Die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.