OT: Public transport

I presume that learning Chinese at a young age contributes much to intelligence. I suggest that you watch an advertisement aimed at youngsters, and try to keep up reading the English captions. The information transferred in such a short time is amazing. (I'm at my third attempt to learning Chinese, a bit. I despair at ever hearing the difference between ch zh c z q x .)

Apparently there is only one muslim ever to win a Nobel price in science. OTOH one quarter of those Nobel prices are won by Jews. That is not to say they are orthodox believers, more the culture.

Groetjes Albert

Reply to
albert

On Nov 24, 2023 at 6:06:28 AM MST, "none) (albert" wrote <nnd$10e23105$3549169b@8cdc361a553d07d0>:

I have heard that before.

I know people who speak it... just say when I try to learn even a few words it leads to more laughter than communication.

Perhaps... but there are tons of things we have gotten in science and math from the "Muslim world" of old.

Right. There is some truth to the stereotype... as a Jew I know a lot of lawyers, doctors, and scientists.

Reply to
Snit

And still more of those convenient friends surface. It's a given that if Albert used learning Swahili instead of Chinese, you would have Swahili speaking friends as well. For someone who claims to be housebound, you certainly get around, snit.

Reply to
Charlie Glock <"Charlie

Every language has it own choice of phoneme.

can transcribe all 107 of them, but no language uses all of them - English uses 44 which on the high side - and most language lump several of them together. Japanese famously treats the English "l" and "r" sounds as a single phoneme. Kids spend the first six months of their lives listening to what their mother's say to then and working out the acoustic differences that are important to them. Phoneticians learn how to make finer distinctions, and people learning foreign languages have to learn to make distinctions between between phonemes that that their mother tongue treats as identical. Some languages use lexical tone to differentiate words - Mandarin chinese is one of them - which adds an additional complication, and there's a gene variant that is more common in countries that use lexical tone than it is in the rest of the world.

You do have to use a new language regularly before you get to be fluent in it, and you will usually have an accent that reflects your mother tongue. My wife trained as an Australian linguist and her German sounded Bavarian to Germans until she got fluent in Dutch, when it switched to sounding like the German of a Dutch national who spoke very good German.

<snipped silly stuff>
Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Has Snit had an accident?

Reply to
David Brooks

On Nov 24, 2023 at 8:21:46 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote <ec38N.39992$ snipped-for-privacy@fx48.iad:

Carroll is just using his socks to troll me.

I am not even close to housebound. In the past I had health issues that made it hard to get out, but that was long ago. Long before "Glock" was posting. It it clearly Carroll.

Reply to
Snit

Thank you for so advising, Snit! 🙂

Reply to
Bdb

Much of that knowledge was looted from India when the Muslims invaded, and later discovered or re-discovered by the West.

os one example.

Reply to
rbowman

The crossposting function in newsreaders is there for a reason.

I often do so because there is no active group for the topic I'm creating, but I know these busy groups have people who will know the answer.

Evidently not, as you're responding to my conversation. Please tell me your usenet reader isn't so stupid as to show you replies to people you've killfiled!?

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

Children! Behave yourselves!

Maybe actually do or learn something related to electronics, and tell us about it.

Double-dare you.

And you do the same. Why is your way of thinking magically correct?

Without a mind I would not be able to type.

It means most are. So being male gives you a height advantage. There are of course other inputs to your height.

True, it could mean you can take advantage of others, which is fun.

You have an issue with bigotry against the morons you've decided are wrong. This is illogical. So why are your lot blowing up the Muslims?

Which makes us special.

Who is?

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

I’m the one who says I like choice in an operating system, and says people should use what they like. And I don’t mock them for it. You’re trying to pretend that’s the same as you’re thinking that everyone should work and think like you do. That’s weird.

So you think bots have minds. Curious.

On average men are taller than women. It does not mean any given men is taller than any given women.

And someone could be allowing intelligence and morals.

I don’t have a lot. I have myself.

I would not group us into any meaningful categorization.

Let’s go with: you.

Reply to
Snit

Ratings are ridiculous. There's not a single child who hasn't heard the word f*ck and knows what it means.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

Absurd they don't let children in, yet most parents just let them watch the 18 rates stuff at home anyway.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

Moderators do not restrict themselves to removing spam, they remove everything which doesn't agree with their point of view.

Somehow though I'm allowed in uk.legal.moderated.

No, but I admire him. He's the last of the people who know how to fight a real war. Hint: it's not a war if you just adjust trade agreements.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

Kinsey's right: abolish it.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

When swearing in front of prudes I use spoonerisms. "Myst all chucking frighty!"

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

I remember from somewhere, "You ferrrrkin sneaky bastidge, I'm gonna cut offa your armsa, and I'm gonna shovem upppa your arsehola!"

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

I know millions.

Reply to