OT: Public transport

About 15 years ago a bus came within 2 1/2 miles of my home twice a day. Then the paper mill shut down and that was the only reason for the run.

Reply to
rbowman

Do that in some parts of the US and we'll be reading about you in the Daily Mail.

Reply to
rbowman

I was of course only referring to civilised countries. We grew out of shooting everything.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I see buses around here with one passenger on them. Not economical, that's where all the libtard taxes go.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

People won't use buses just because there's more of them. They avoid them because they have more convenient cars. Buses are for the poor. Let them walk.

You invest in a company, because it gives you money back when it does well. You don't invest in a society. You just feed the lazy and useless, creating a population of weak people. Stop using silly libtard buzzwords.

Aww boo hoo, the religious nutters get upset when we make fun of them. Anyone believing in god needs removed from the gene pool.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You sound like a theiving libtard.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why would throwing money at the poor not work for lazy blacks? Could they not read the claim forms?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You know what they say about the road to hell... I wouldn't put it past LBJ though. The problem I see:

1965 good idea 1970 not working as well as intended 1975 still not working 1980 no joy 1985 Midnight Basketball! 1990 oh, shit they're slinging crack on the basketball courts 1995 Personal Responsibility and Work Oportunity Act 2000 another fail

Sounds like the definition of insanity to me and after almost 60 years there has to have been a lot of deliberation along the way.

Reply to
rbowman

Why on earth would that have any meaning whatsoever? It's no more public than my car, just me in it apart from the driver, going to where I want to go, unlike a bus.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Next year will be nasty. There will be a lot of out of state money on both sides trying to get/keep control of the Senate. I like Tester and voted for him the last two times but it will be a tough choice if it means getting the Senate. Unlike most of the slick talkers when he's not in DC he's home plowing his fields and planting. I think that's what Jefferson had in mind rather than career leeches.

Reply to
rbowman

On May 3, 2023 at 6:04:03 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.home:

If they are clean and convenient, why not? They do in many cities.

And this is why Libertarianism cannot work. It actively pushes inefficiencies which make a society less capable of competing.

And we can do the same with our society. Invest so ALL are bette off.

None of what you said makes sense. Why would everyone being better off lead to anything like that?

I said nothing of being a religious nutter -- I noted your bigotry.

Reply to
Snit

On May 3, 2023 at 5:41:22 PM MST, "rbowman" wrote snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

There is also a place to help others.

Reply to
Snit

Funny thing is, we can't just turn off the porch light and hope that the neighbors won't throw their garbage over the fence.

What happens in Ukraine affects the entire world. If they don't export grain and cooking oil, that ripples out through the global economy, of which we're a part.

It's a small world after all.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Even some quite nice parts of the U.S.

Although I doubt the average serial killer would be interest in Kinsey.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Evidence, please. Not conjecture.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Taxis are public service, your car is not. No matter how much you rant.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Years ago I got transferred from our suburban location to the city where I would have to pay to park. I considered taking the bus but would have to drive over two miles to a parking area where I could take the bus. In looking over the bus company's literature they mentioned passenger miles and fuel usage. It calculated out to 9 mpg per passenger which was much less than half what I got in my car at the time.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

When I commuted to the university the first semester I had rides to and fro from two guys that both flunked out. I ended up hitch hiking the whole second semester. This was a long time ago and I had no trouble getting rides or problems with the drivers.

Interesting side note was getting married in Cleveland we honeymooned in Atlantic city. Driving there one of my wife's friend's boy friend who had attended our wedding was hitch hiking back to Annapolis where he was a naval cadet and we took him as far as we could.

None of these things would happen today.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Céline Figard (French pronunciation: ​[selin fiɡaʁ]; 23 May 1976[2] – 19 December 1995) was a French woman who went missing and was murdered during a visit to the United Kingdom in December 1995. She accepted a lift from a lorry driver at the Chieveley services on the M4 in Chieveley, Berkshire, on 19 December, but never arrived at her destination. Following an appeal for information on her whereabouts and police enquiries, her body was discovered on 29 December, at a lay-by on the A449 in Hawford, Worcestershire. A post-mortem examination determined she had been strangled and bludgeoned to death.

Police probe hitchhiker murder - Manchester Evening News Manchester Evening News

Carlos E.R.

I might.