"public" file repositories

Hi,

I have several projects that I will be "open-sourcing" soon. I don't want to waste my time keeping a publicly accessible server up (and *secure*) -- a misuse of my time (and bandwidth!)

So, I'm looking for ideas as to where to "drop things off".

These are completed projects so they aren't really "works in progress" that need a developer community to support. And, they differ from most open-source SOFTWARE projects in that they contain (often REQUIRE!) hardware as well.

To that end, I'll be releasing schematics, photoplots, source code, binary images, VHDL, user documentation, etc. I.e., you should be able (assuming you have the appropriate skillsets) to build and use these as "finished products". Or, take the designs (hardware and/or software) and use them as a starting point for more ambitious projects (or, to port them to other implementations/platforms).

A project typically takes about 100MB of space. Maybe less if I trim out some things (I don't want to waste much time dicking with these). Probably a GB is a good "big Oh" estimate for starters.

Oh, and did I mention, I don't want to spend any *money* (or time) doing this?

Thanks,

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

D Yuniskis wibbled on Thursday 15 July 2010 19:17

Sourceforge? You get mailing lists and source code control. I'm not sure what they are like with binaries, but as many projects contain images (pixmaps etc) I don't see a problem. Other text files won't be an issue - it's language agnostic.

Downside is people in China (PRC) may or may not be able to see it (has been known to have been blocked on previous occasions by the Great Firewall...).

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

AFAIK, Sourceforge has no issue with binaries ... quite a few projects there offer install executables and/or archives.

George

Reply to
George Neuner

I always think of sourceforge more in terms of *software*, not *hardware*. E.g., schematics, artwork, etc.

And the mailing list issue is not of interest to me -- I'm "done" with the projects so have no desire to support, moderate or encourage discussion. My documentation does all the speaking I care to do on the subject(s) ;-)

I think the source code control would actually be counterproductive. E.g., I'll release my CVS/RCS trees and wouldn't bother trying to "back port" to whatever their VCS-du-jour happens to be.

I was thinking of just building an iso of each project, gzipping it and dropping it off someplace for interested parties to FTP and "inherit". I.e., this takes the *least* effort on my part (well, actually, the *LEAST* effort is for me to just sit on everything and *not* release it... :-/ )

Gee, and I should be worried about this, *why*? You mean, they might have to do their *own* engineering?? ;-)

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

It's all just files to sourceforge.

Just because /you/ don't want a related mailing list, doesn't mean that people using your designs don't want one. I've never set up a project with Sourceforge, but I believe setting up a mailing list is a simple matter. Once it's in place, you can read it and reply to your users and fans - or you can ignore it and let users discuss things amongst themselves.

Sourceforge is really aimed at on-going projects rather than as a sort of public-viewable attic, but I believe it's okay for you to do this as long as you follow certain requirements (such as using an open source license). Just make sure it is clear to users that the code is all they get, and you won't be developing the projects further.

I would think you would just check-in a snapshot of the final state of the project. You don't need to put any of the development history onto the site.

Reply to
David Brown