mpeg2 transport stream adquisition

Hi i am working with a ep9302 micro (cirrus edb9302 board, where mounted a Linux embedded 2.6 kernel.) and it is very important for m to know if this board can menage data transfer of 4 Mbit/s My target is to adquire from a tipical digital video source (fo example satellite) a mpeg2 signal (transport stream format) and the do the incapsulation of this stream in a LAN Every test i did showed me that it can easily menage a 1 Mbit/ bitrate (tipically from a file source) but when i try to adquire th signal from satellite (4 ore 5 Mbit/s) the system crashes. It seem that the board cannot read and demux such a quantity of data even i i am using the DMA (so that the stream is directly available in th SDRAM nearly without cpu menagement)

Anyone did some test on it

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated

Alessandro from Italy

Reply to
basuratomica

Hi, i am working with a ep9302 micro (cirrus edb9302 board, where i mounted a Linux embedded 2.6 kernel.) and it is very important for me to know if this board can menage data transfer of 4 Mbit/s. My target is to adquire from a tipical digital video source (for example satellite) a mpeg2 signal (transport stream format) and then do the incapsulation of this stream in a LAN. Every test i did showed me that it can easily menage a 1 Mbit/s bitrate (tipically from a file source) but when i try to adquire the signal from satellite (4 ore 5 Mbit/s) the system crashes. It seems that the board cannot read and demux such a quantity of data even if i am using the DMA (so that the stream is directly available in the SDRAM nearly without cpu menagement).

[...]

Crashing is an indication of programming error. I can move 6Mbps of MPEG-2 transport stream from the encoder chip to the network (UDP multicast) with a 73Mhz ARM. However, I'm not using Linux. But I don't see why a 200Mhz processor can't handle that.

Reply to
FLY135

I should also add that I'm able to easily do the same with a 200Mhz PPC running Linux.

Reply to
FLY135

Thank you very much for your answer... just another question:

what sort of platform/board do you use to do that?

Thanks

Reply to
basuratomica

We build our own hardware. 73Mhz ARM can demux TS and move about 6Mbps of data to the decoder chip. Not sure yet about the maximum data rate for the 200MHz PPC.

Reply to
FLY135