OT? Public Service Announcement

My love for the open-source community is deeper and broader than ever.

As a Google Groups user I've been handicapped in that it has no built-in killfile capability, but fortunately I use Firefox.

Today I discovered this:

You'll need to go to mozilla.com and get and install Greasemonkey, then reload Firefox (don't worry, it reopens all the tabs/pages you had open), then install ggkiller. Open your favorite group and next to every poster's name there's a link to killfile them.

Mind you I'm never going to be a scriptkiddy, and this worked totally painlessly for me.

SED is so much more pleasant now. ;>)

BTW obligatory disclaimer; I'm not affiliated, didn't write any of the software, make no guarantees, accept no responsibility, YMMV, close cover before striking.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Thanks. I was a bit wary until I saw your name at the bottom because on other occasions I have discovered that a certain s/w vendor follows the trolls about looking for 'customers' and is rather friendly towards them.

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK's only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Quite welcome.

(blushes)

Well, thanks for the vote of name-recognition confidence.

OTOH I suggest you check headers anyway and read carefully for style mismatches WRT previous posts by a given person; there's been a lot of "nym" shifting going on, which AFAICT ggkiller can't handle automatically; you have to killfile each new nym the, um, perpetrators come up with.

I also thought it prudent to virus-scan ggkiller before opening (with also-free AVG), but maybe I'm just getting paranoid in my old age.

Anyway, enjoy it in good health. I certainly am. ;>)

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

All we need is the ability to suppress any crossposts, or at least any crossposts that include ng.x.x. While there are occasional valid reasons for crossposting, the vast majority of such posts are trash, and the nitwits would soon get bored of not being noticed. It doen't help that some of the less intelligent s.e.d. regulars reply including the extraneous groups, thereby maintaining the noise.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

BTW are you referring to BT Business antivirus? On the heels of this flap I've gotten a bunch of "BT Business is notifying you we devirused this email message" emails.

No consistent pattern in send or receive domains, which threw me until I realized it could be an advertising technique.

I've got all the antivirus I need (I think, anyway), but does the group at large need to know about this? Or would bringing it up just fan the, er, flames?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

I haven't found an add-on for that yet. ;>)

And yes, I'm also guilty of not looking at the "post to" field as rigorously as I ought to.

Yeah, I know. On general principles I'm opposed to the concept of killfiling; the weirdest loons occasionally say something worth listening to. IMO it's the nuclear weapon of ng etiquette, but this invasion sloshed right over all my thresholds.

Maybe I'm just getting less patient with some peoples' idea of "playful" in my old age.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752