Public WIFI Problems

Does anybody know how a public WIFI system works? I used to get a good conn ection a couple months ago but then they did some sort of upgrade and I los t access at my residence and had to sit near the office to get a connection . It seemed like a range problem so I bought a gadget called a "WIFI Range Extender" which worked well for another few weeks. But lately, I'm getting errors indicating I'm not connected and I have to sit next to the office ag ain to get a connection. It seems to occur in the afternoon when there migh t be heavy traffic. I'm not sure but I think the so-called upgrade was to r educe the number of users for a lower rate. So, how does the public WIFI de cide who gets access and who does not? Is that done by selecting strong sig nals and rejecting weaker ones?

Reply to
billbowden10

Public wifi? Where?

Are you trying to use some neighbor's open wifi?

 Click to see the full signature

onnection a couple months ago but then they did some sort of upgrade and I lost access at my residence and had to sit near the office to get a connect ion. It seemed like a range problem so I bought a gadget called a "WIFI Ran ge Extender" which worked well for another few weeks. But lately, I'm getti ng errors indicating I'm not connected and I have to sit next to the office again to get a connection. It seems to occur in the afternoon when there m ight be heavy traffic. I'm not sure but I think the so-called upgrade was t o reduce the number of users for a lower rate. So, how does the public WIFI decide who gets access and who does not? Is that done by selecting strong signals and rejecting weaker ones?

No. I live in a trailer park with 150 spaces. We all use public WIFI which is paid for in the rent. I'd like to use it since I pay for it.

Reply to
billbowden10

They are probably booting your range extender off, since it is not a person (personal device).

Reply to
Long Hair

Yikes, a perfect ecological niche for malware. I suggest not walking but running to install Qubes.

For the signal issue, you might try the Nalleys Stew can antenna:

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(posting from an uplevel Qubes 3.2 laptop)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Maybe they relocated, or re-oriented an antenna. Did any physical obstructions come into being around that time, between you and the nearest public WiFi antenna?

Reply to
mpm

Yep. I make good money from things that don't work as expected.

Sigh. Is there some reason you don't bother to disclose what equipment you're using? It really help if we have a clue as to the hardware, operating system, radio, antenna, indicated signal strength, distances involved, obstructions between you and the wi-fi router or access point, and how you're using your computer. Some clue as to the maker and model of the access point would also be helpful. In other words, numbers please.

Range extenders, repeaters, and such are in my never humble opinion junk. Because they are a half-duplex, store and forward arrangement, they cut maximum available bandwidth in half. If you have a direct shot between your computah and the park access point, you're competing with the range extender. I once gave a talk on the topic to the local Linux user group: Yeah, I know it's a disorganized mess. This is what the throughput looks like without a range extender (about 60 MBits/sec). This is what the same setup looks like with a Netgear range extender in the room (about 25 Mbits/sec):

Difficult to tell but my favorite first guess is that some new wireless router, range extender, or client radio has arrived on the premises and is moving large amounts of traffic. Anyone streaming TV or downloading movies is a like culprit. The proliferation of media players and wireless security cameras do not help.

That's called bandwidth management. It tries to divide the available bandwidth among the connected users, and give priority to traffic that cannot be delayed, such as VoIP telephony. In general, it's a good thing but should NOT cause any disconnects or inability to connect. Something else is going on, like moving the main wireless router or antenna.

Who connects can be done with various access control and authentication schemes, such as a WPA shared password. It usually has no effect on available bandwidth. In some schemes, there is some preference given to signal strength (actually to signal quality or SNR) but only when roaming between access points on a common SSID (system identifier). Unless the park is well funded, I don't think you have one of these. I can go more into this if you want (after I get a clue as to the hardware) but I don't think this is the problem.

Look for:

  1. Interference
  2. High bandwidth streaming or downloading users
  3. Misconfigured wireless router
  4. Badly located antennas or obstructions in the line of sight.
  5. Bad wireless drivers if you're using a laptop or wireless card in a desktop. Try a different laptop. If that works normally, but whatever you're currently using does not, the problem is your device.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It is probably done by selectively blocking MAC addresses that are hogging the system and making unreasonable use of the public WiFi. It could also be that the system allows a maximum number of simultaneous connections on its license which means you need to talk to the provider.

I would hazard a guess it throws you off after some cumulative use time or if it is already too busy to provide acceptable QOS.

If it is a pure signal issue then your best bet is a cheap dongle with removable antenna and a decent high gain antenna. I have used both flat panel and yagi depending on how far I want to extend the range. I used to extend my personal WiFi to the village hall for doing lectures but now since they have a faster link than me I sometimes do the reverse.

There are plenty of signal strength meter apps for Android and PCs.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

walmart $16 dual band high rate dongle with detachable std wifi antenna.

prolly cheaper on Amazon

The $90 Asus looks cool too.

"Holy MIMO ears, Batman!"

Reply to
Long Hair

The "coffee shop" systems that I've seen do not initiate a disconnect or make the users wireless seem dead. Instead, they block access to the internet from the affected MAC address and display a landing web page, which reminds the user of the terms of service or to go to the cashier and buy some more minutes.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Power levels are programmatic preset via modem owner (Comcast) with ZERO notification. Levels are adjusted to maximize income for owner.

Get used to it; been going on for a number of years now.

Reply to
Robert Baer

connection a couple months ago but then they did some sort of upgrade and I lost access at my residence and had to sit near the office to get a connec tion. It seemed like a range problem so I bought a gadget called a "WIFI Ra nge Extender" which worked well for another few weeks. But lately, I'm gett ing errors indicating I'm not connected and I have to sit next to the offic e again to get a connection. It seems to occur in the afternoon when there might be heavy traffic. I'm not sure but I think the so-called upgrade was to reduce the number of users for a lower rate. So, how does the public WIF I decide who gets access and who does not? Is that done by selecting strong signals and rejecting weaker ones?

Yes, I'm sure they are maximizing revenue. Recently, they closed the public restrooms and required a $15 a month fee to take a shower. They also locke d the swimming pool and asked for another $15 for a key to the gate. A coup le days ago, I got a notice that I needed a parking permit to park my truck in my own space. The guy that bought this place used to stop by and person ally count all the quarters in the washing machines. But he died so his wif e runs the place now. And she raised my rent 50% in 5 years. I expect anoth er rent raise any day now. And the property is now worth about 10 million. The landlady makes about 1 million a year after expenses and she wants more . I sure don't want to sleep with her.

Reply to
billbowden10