Reply to
John Fields

Excellent! ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

Apropos; since the link does not work..

Reply to
Robert Baer

--
It works for me and at least one other person.

The post is: "OT Political humor" at
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Reply to
John Fields

Didn't work for me either...

Reply to
Peter2

Worked for me, too. Copied it... it's a jewel :-)

What's with the Baer's, Joerg's, etc., that can't manage to click on a URL ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

And Peter2's :-) ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

Some news reader clients do not support retrieval by message-id. Some news servers don't support the binary groups either. RB is using an old version of SeaMonkey, which I don't think supports message-id retrieval. Peter2 is using Outhouse and Eternal September and so is doubly cursed.

Reply to
JW

Doubly cursed is absolutely true! Freaking OE sucks like a Hoover, but at least Eternal September is free. I was doing just great until my frickin ISP decided to close, and shut off their NNTP servers. Now Thunderbird won't connect to Eternal September and the guys at Mozilla have no clue as to why it is bad...

Reply to
Peter2

at=20

n ISP=20

t=20

why=20

I don't know if this will work or not, but it's worth a try.

Install SeaMonkey, it's Mozilla based and combines the mail/news into the package. It seems to be taking a slightly different development path. The menus are almost identical.

I had a problem with Thunderbird losing some of my postings, hence the change.

mike

Reply to
m II

Forgot to mention...it doesn't do message ID urls, at least with my nntp provider.

mike

Reply to
m II

Or else don't. Old Netscapes (up to 4.79 or so) are fast and bulletproof newsreaders. Seamonkey, which is theoretically its direct descendant, has got so very slow and so very buggy that I quit using it. It takes about 30 times longer to "mark all messages read" than old Netscapes.

I wish I could find a statically-linked copy of Netscape 4.79 for Linux--there's a libc incompatibility that makes old binaries segfault on loading.

Of course you wouldn't want to use it as a browser, because it hasn't been patched since 2001, but Firefox is still okay.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Netscape 4.79, for fast fast relief)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The link doesn't work for me. I'm using an old version of firefox.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Reply to
m II

Or me, either with Mozilla or Thunderbird - Thunderbird can find it but it can't open it, nor find an application that can.

"The version of this file is incompatible with the version of Windows you're running ..."

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Apparently it's expired - I went to a.b.s.e and did a subject search on that, and came up empty.

Is it an image? There are free servers all over the place, why not put it on a web page. Even your ISP might offer 'personal web space.'

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It works in Netscape® Communicator 4.8. Right click and open in new window, then right click and save the PDF file.

Michael A. Terrell

Phil, I may still have a Netscape 4.xx CD-ROM that someone gave me. They bought it and the printed manual, rather than download it. I'll try to find it, but no guarantees.

I still have the full install file for the Windows version of Netscape 4.8 on a couple hard drives. It is: 22.7 MB (23,855,104 bytes) I have had a habit of keeping a copy of every freeware program I have used, since 1993.

Michael A. Terrell

Thanks, I have install files for the Windows binaries. I may try using one of those under Wine and see if it works. Even emulated, Netscape would have to be better than Seamonkey.

(I have a huge ~/shrinkwr directory full of that stuff too.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've used Netscape to access newsgroups from my first time. I've never found anything I like better.

I have over 1000 1.44 MB floppies with old software that didn't get copied to CD-ROMs. I wonder how much can still be read?

Michael A. Terrell