climate humor

"We have been building models and there are now robust contradictions," says Liu, a professor in the UW-Madison Center for Climatic Research. "Data from observation says global cooling. The physical model says it has to be warming."

"The fundamental laws of physics say that as the temperature goes up, it has to get warmer," Liu says.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Come on, John. Everyone knows the "science of global warming is settled". The vote is in and taxes must rise.

Reply to
krw

More funding is needed.

Reply to
Tom Miller

As Groucho said. "Who are you going to believe, me or your own lying eyes?"

Precision electronic instrumentation

I'm not a believer in global warming, but this just *has* to be an attempt to make them look stupid. It's too gross to succeed even at that.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
jeroen Belleman

More Climate change studies are needed to find out why it's cooling.

Martin Riddle

No "attempt" is needed.

Reply to
krw

Good point. It's going to be expensive to force the climate into alignment with the models.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Nah, the warmingists just fudge any data they don't like.

Reply to
krw

te.html

says Liu, a professor in the UW-Madison Center for Climatic Research. "Data from observation says global cooling. The physical model says it has to be warmi ng."

t has to get warmer," Liu says.

". The vote is in and taxes must rise.

?"

Actually, it's all a matter of interpretation. As Fred Bloggs has pointed o ut, the reporter is an English-language science journalist, and she didn't really understand what she was being told.

There's nothing new or controversial about the fact that global temperature s peaked earlier in the Holocene (though the temperature doesn't seem to ha ve got as high as it is now), and that sea levels were a metre or so higher (because the early peak was sustained long enough to warm more of the ocea n and melt a bit more ice).

Nor is it surprising that models that don't include volcanic activity and v egetation changes don't capture these changes. Liu doesn't even mention cha nges in ocean currents - both the El Nino/La Nina alternation and the Atlan tic Multidecadal oscillation are known to make a difference, and while the Argo project is beginning to tell us what is going on at the moment, it's n ot going to be all that informative about what was going on some five thous and years ago.

As usual, John Larkin and krw don't understand what's being said, and have decided that what they do understand does fit with their delusions. Nothing new there.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

John Larkin not paying attention again. The relevant chunk of climate is the last ten thousand years - the period from the end of the last ice age until now.

It's kind of difficult to force history into alignment with anything.

The interest was in why the models weren't fitting the history entirely perfectly, and the extra funding would go on better - more complete - models, and on finding more - and more detailed - historical evidence of what was actually going on back then.

While our climate models are a lot better than John Larkin and James Arthur are prepared to credit, they could still be quite a bit better.

They are plenty good enough to tell us that we are going to hell in hand-basket, but not good enough to tell us precisely how fast, nor exactly how much - and exactly where - we ought to be spending now to avoid higher expenditures in the future.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

alignment with the models.

Krw being as irrational as ever. The whole point of the paper is to point out that current climate models don't fit the historical data as well as the investigators would like.

The authors clearly are "warmingists" (as opposed to "denialists") and they would scarcely have written their paper if they weren't taking the historical data seriously.

Krw doesn't think clearly enough - if at all - to realise that there was a point in there for him to miss.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On 17/08/14 07.13, Bill Sloman wrote: ...

One big problem fitting climate models is, that organisms are "kicking back" - sort of Gaia Effect:

Photosynthesizing cyanobacteria (and other biota/life) has been messing with earths climate - and even terraformed, so higher complex life (including us!) could take foothold:

The oxydizing of the earths crusts, oceans... took at least 3 billion years [at least 16% oxygen in the atmosphere - we can not breathe at less]:

Quote: "... Cyanobacteria were therefore responsible for one of the most significant extinction events in Earth's history. Additionally, the free oxygen reacted with atmospheric methane, a greenhouse gas, greatly reducing its concentration and triggering the Huronian glaciation, possibly the longest snowball Earth episode in the Earth's history.[4] ..."

17 December, 2003, BBCNews: Oldest evidence of photosynthesis:
Quote: "...Scientists claim to have found the oldest evidence of photosynthesis ? the most important chemical reaction on Earth ? in 3.7-billion-year-old rocks....If their findings are correct, life was very sophisticated, very early on in Earth history," said Buick...But life may be older and more robust than we thought..." [Please: No ID jokes...]

BBC News, 28 September, 2001: The microbes that 'rule the world':

Quote: "...The Earth's climate may be dependent upon microbes that eat rock beneath the sea floor, according to new research....The number of the worm-like tracks in the rocks diminishes with depth; at 300 metres (985 feet) below the sea floor, they become much rarer..."

May 23, 2008, nationalgeographic.com: Hot Life-Forms Found a Mile Under Seafloor:

Citat: "...All told, Parkes said, these prokaryotes could amount to 10 to 30 percent of the world's total living matter..."

-

Penn State. (2004, May 6). Missing Chemical Important To Air Pollution Estimates. ScienceDaily:

Quote: "..."We think we measured all major components of the hydroxyl radical reactants, but there is something still unaccounted for,? says Brune. "We know that something we cannot identify is reacting with the hydroxyl radicals and we know it is temperature dependent and not light dependent. We just do not know what it is."..."

Max Planck Society (2004, February 26). Astonishing Discovery Over The Amazonian Rain Forest. ScienceDaily:

Quote: "...natural aerosols from the Amazonian rain forest, and has found that they contained two previously unknown compounds, which are photooxidation products of isoprene. These compounds are hygroscopic and could impact cloud formation, rainfall and climate..."

California Institute of Technology (2009, August 7). Organic Carbon Compounds Emitted By Trees Affect Air Quality. ScienceDaily:

Quote: "..."The king emitters are oaks," Wennberg says. "And the isoprene they emit is one of the reasons that the Smoky Mountains appear smoky."..."And isoprene only comes from plants. They make hundreds of millions of tons of this chemical...for reasons that we still do not fully understand."..."

And now the "smoking gun":

Carnegie Mellon University. (2014, May 15). Emissions from forests influence very first stage of cloud formation. ScienceDaily:

Quote: "...This new study uncovers an indispensable ingredient to the long sought-after cloud formation recipe -- highly oxidized organic compounds..."It turns out that sulfuric acid and these oxidized organic compounds are unusually attracted to each other. This remarkably strong association may be a big part of why organics are really drawn to sulfuric acid under modern polluted conditions," Donahue said...The fine-tuned model not only predicted nucleation rates more accurately but also predicted the increases and decreases of nucleation observed in field experiments over the course of a year, especially for measurements near forests. This latter test is a strong confirmation of the fundamental role of emissions from forests in the very first stage of cloud formation, and that the new work may have succeeded in modeling that influence..."

-

Another "smoking gun":

26 February 2014 Smell of forest pine can limit climate change - researchers. New research suggests a strong link between the powerful smell of pine trees and climate change:
Quote: "... They've discovered ultra-low volatility organic vapours in the air that irreversibly condense onto any surface or particle that they meet. "These vapours are so crazy in structure from what we had known before," said one of the authors, Dr Joel Thornton, from the University of Washington ... "In a warmer world, photosynthesis will become faster with rising CO2, which will lead to more vegetation and more emissions of these vapours," said lead author, Dr Mikael Ehn, now based at the University of Helsinki. "This should produce more cloud droplets and this should then have a cooling impact, it should be a damping effect." ... "When you pull them [ultra-low volatile compounds] through a metal tube into your instrument they come into contact with the tube walls and they are lost, you won't detect them."

"We have an instrument that is as wall-less as can be, we have a very high flow of air and a very short inlet line so that it is almost sampled right from atmosphere."

The scientists stress that the new understanding is not a panacea for climate change as forests will stop emitting vapours if they become too stressed from heat or lack of water. ... "If you go into a pine forest and notice that pine forest smell, that could be the smell that actually limits climate change from reaching such levels that it could become really a problem in the world." ..."

-

Third "smoking gun":

NOAA: Oceanic Dimethylsulfide (DMS) and Climate:

Quote: "...Oceanic DMS emissions account for 15% of the total global sulfur emissons of 3.2 Tg S/year..."

Dimethylsulfide Emission: Climate Control by Marine Algae? (Released November 2003):

Quote: "...DMS has a significant impact on the Earth's climate. Plankton production of DMS and its escape to the atmosphere is believed to be one of the mechanisms by which the biota can regulate the climate..."

Netherlands Organization For Scientific Research (2004, November 24). Plankton Cool The Southern Hemisphere. ScienceDaily:

Quote: "...the plankton species in the southern hemisphere produce more DMS than their northern counterparts. Also in the southern hemisphere there is a higher DMS flux from the sea...The effects of the DMS production by plankton are particularly noticeable at a regional level..."

-

At least one point in history, Life was "out of Gaia order":

Snowball Earth:

Quote: "... The Snowball Earth hypothesis posits that the Earth's surface became entirely or nearly entirely frozen at least once, some time earlier than

650 Ma (million years ago). Proponents of the hypothesis argue that it best explains sedimentary deposits generally regarded as of glacial origin at tropical paleolatitudes, and other otherwise enigmatic features in the geological record. ..."

-

A big organism:

7 August, 2000, Fantastic fungus find:
Quote: "...Researchers in the US have found what is probably the largest living organism on Earth....Scientists say it covers 890 hectares (2,200 acres) of land ? an area equivalent to about 1,220 football pitches. The fungus is called Armillaria ostoyae, but is more popularly known as the honey mushroom. This particular specimen is calculated to be about 2,400 years old, although it could be two to three times this age...."

A smart organism:

BBCNews: 27 September, 2000, When slime is not so thick:

Quote: "... Scientists have discovered that a single-celled organism can negotiate the shortest way through a maze. It means that some of the lowliest creatures in the plant and animal kingdoms, such as slime and amoeba, may not be as primitive as once thought. ..."

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

This ongoing series of "astonishing" and "amazing" and "significant" and "new understanding" discoveries mean that old climate models, and new ones to be developed over the next few decades, are all junk science.

Precision electronic instrumentation

"new understanding" discoveries mean that old climate models, and new ones to be developed over the next few decades, are all junk science.

Since none of the stuff Glen was posting had much to do with current climat e models, the "junk science" involved is all in your understanding, rather than the climate models you claim to be complaining about. In fact all you are doing is channeling denialist propaganda that you picked up from the Mu rdoch press and initially failed to recognise as the junk that it is.

When somebody as vain as you are makes such an utter fool of himself, he's stuck with his idiotic position - humiliating as it must be to keep on post ing these idiocies, it would be even more humiliating to admit that you'd b een suckered back when you started recycling this nonsense and have never h ad the guts to admit it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

te.html

says Liu, a professor in the UW-Madison Center for Climatic Research. "Dat a from observation says global cooling. The physical model says it has to b e warming."

t has to get warmer," Liu says.

t to make them look stupid. It's too gross to succeed even at that.

The original paper - there's a link to it on the URL that John Larkin poste d - is perfectly sensible, even if the English-language science journalist who wrote it up hasn't got a clue about what it's talking about.

Modelling the earth's climate through the current inter-glacial - roughly the last 10,000 years - is a reasonable project. We haven't got quite enoug h historical information to get it all that right, and I don't think that t he authors pay enough attention to the sea level fluctuations that we do kn ow about, but it's a useful project.

Climate modelling is good enough to nail the gross differences between ice- ages and inter-glacials. The finer changes within the current inter-glacial are a bit harder to sort out - ocean currents moving around are a fairly o bvious problem, and not that easy to infer from the historical data we've b een able to find so far.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Ok, which US school did you go to? It took me about three years to get my MS:ECE at UCSB...

Charlie

Reply to
Charles Edmondson

I was speaking of the college of liberal arts and sciences, that's where cell biology is located.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

ate.html

"

it

Easily fixed, for a terabuck or two, a bargain at twice the price:

"The California air-pollution health plus global climate cost benefits from eliminating California emissions could equal the $1.1 trillion installatio n cost of 603 GW of new power needed for a 100% all-purpose WWS system with in ?7 (4?14) years."

And the roast pheasant is free...

irds-mid-air-25017031

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Balderdash. It's not true until Al Gore says it.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat