OT: Pi Day tonight (3/14/15 at 9:26:54 (3.141592654)

221 Baker is a multi-abode building, so it should be point one, point two, etc... numerically expressed.

But A, B, C, etc. designations are succinct and easily discernable both for the postman and for the system.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Tim Williams

(oops)

No, you missed what I meant.

The fraction 151/8ths could be expanded as;

578.81 (18.875 decimal) however, the position and significance of the fractional part is kind of dubious.

Computers typically represent numbers in a consistent fashion, such as increasing significance with increasing address. The "high word" in a DWORD expression has the higher significance. So the least significant comes first. Also, when converting an arbitrary base (such as 2^N) into decimal, one performs the repeated division: while (N > 0) { printf("%i", N % 10); N = N / 10; } i.e., divide by the output base, print the remainder, and repeat on the dividend until done.

To write this in customary English format (greatest to least significance), one must push the digits onto a stack (or buffer), then pop them in reverse order.

Although the addressing example is a matter of convention (big vs. little endian), the base-conversion method is general and therefore has some level of mathematical consistency behind it.

There's a certain logic to writing numbers that way. If you write 100 (one hundred), and add 1000 to it, you have to prepend another digit. Whereas in the reverse ordering, you would write "001" (one hundred), then append a 1: "0011" (one thousand one hundred).

The opposite is true of fractions; for a 16.16 bit fixed point integer (i.e., the high word is the integer part and the low word represents the remainder of the fraction 1/(low word)), the integer part is treated as normal (as above, after shifting/bitmasking if necessary), while the fractional part is multiplied by 10, the integer part taken off and printed to the display, and repeated. This produces greatest to least order of precedence.

The ordering seems inconsistent with the above, but has a certain logic to it: as more digits are printed, the number gets closer and closer to the precise value being represented.

It would seem most logical to represent the integer and fraction as separate but paired numbers. That way, one can write 151/8ths as:

81 .875

If we adjust the fraction slightly, say by adding 1/10000, we simply append one:

81 .8751

or if we adjust the integer, say by adding 1000, we simple append:

8101 .875

Doing general arithmetic on this representation probably isn't as convenient (you must always start with the least significant digit and carry up, whether starting with integer or fraction), which would suggest writing the whole thing backwards ("578.81"). The inconsistency with typical computer representations (like fixed point) is, the datatype is usually fixed width (fixed point obviously is quite...fixed), so the low bits are simply discarded; they still produce results (the high part of low*low carries into the low part of the final product), but the fact remains, some information is simply discarded, which is not true of longhand multiplication (which is not limited in width).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

Damned news readers...

snip

OMG! You guys are just too deep into this.

Perhaps you should wait for the crop circle explanation. :-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snip

I found your great grandpa!

ALMOST Pi HAHAHAHAHAhahahaahahaha!

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Y'er behind the times. Instead of cities, streets, addresses, and apartments, the new and improved method of finding you house will be to use geo-location. There is an RFC for the puprose:

Latitude: a 34 bit fixed point value consisting of 9 bits of integer and 25 bits of fraction. Latitude SHOULD be normalized to within +/- 90 degrees. Positive numbers are north of the equator and negative numbers are south of the equator.

Longitude: a 34 bit fixed point value consisting of 9 bits of integer and 25 bits of fraction. Longitude SHOULD be normalized to within +/- 180 degrees. Positive values are East of the prime meridian and negative (2s complement) numbers are West of the prime meridian.

Altitude: A 30 bit value defined by the AT field

Floors: in 2s-complement fixed-point 22-bit integer part with 8-bit fraction

With a simple 144 bit number, your house can be easily located by the USPS (US Postal Service) or the Amazon package delivery drone.

For example, deliveries to the White House address would look like: Postal Address: White House 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW Washington, DC 20006

Standing on the sidewalk, north side of White House, between driveways. Latitude 38.89868 degrees North (or +38.89868 degrees) Using 2s complement, 34 bit fixed point, 25 bit fraction Latitude = 0x04dcc1fc8, Latitude = 0001001101110011000001111111001000 Longitude 77.03723 degrees West (or -77.03723 degrees) Using 2s complement, 34 bit fixed point, 25 bit fraction Longitude = 0xf65ecf031, Longitude = 1101100101111011001111000000110001 Altitude 15 In this example, we are not inside a structure, therefore we will assume an altitude value of 15 meters, interpolated from the US Geological survey map, Washington West quadrangle. AltRes = 30, 0x1e, 011110 AT = 1, 0x01, 000001 Altitude = 15, 0x0F00, 00000000000000000000000001111100000000

For example, if anyone asks you for directions to the White House, you can tell them it's at: 0x04dcc1fc8, 0xf65ecf031 and they should have no problems finding it after they figure out how to do 2's compliment arithmetic on their smartphone.

Incidentally, this scheme was originally designed by Cisco for 911 first responder services to facilitate finding emergencies in high rise structures calling over VoIP phones or where a GPS fix is inadequate.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Perhaps you might want to review the evidence, or rather the lack of evidence. The entire house of cards is built upon one truly awful photograph, with no reference in the picture to offer a clue as to the scale. It could easily have been done on a desktop and made to look much the same. This hints what might have happened: More: Well, we have a location:

42.738105,-118.314011 Plugging into Google Earth, I get nothing but a dry lake bed. Obviously, its disappearance is a government cover up or conspiracy.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

lol... who are you trying to be "fair" to???

--

Rick
Reply to

You must be a total retard. It was discovered by a pair of Oregon Nat'l guard Warthog pilots.

There is a better photo, dork boy.

Can you really be that stupid? There are other photos taken by others.

You could easily be a self hard wired total retard, and it is beginning to look that way.

42 degrees 44' 20.90" N by 118 degrees 18' 51.22 W In the Mickey Basin.

Obviously you are an idiot as it was nearly 25 years ago. Look closely at the present day google map shots, and you can still see a few straight lines struck in the surrounding basin. They were not part of the original, but straight lines in lake beds are not natural.

It was ALSO in the local newspapers of the area as well, and there ARE other photos taken by other people.

snip

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Reminds me of a standard in avionics ARINC-429 does it, but with 22 bits for the full range (+/- 180 deg).

to be changed every year because of continental drift.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

Everone writes numbers backwards. (well, most people)

the europeans copied nodern numerals numbers from the Arabs (who copied it from the Indians)

the Arabs put the most significant digit on the left, that is last (because they write right to left)

in that way a number could be read a digit at a time and each successifve digit had a known radix at the time it was read.

OTOH decimal fractions wouls be much worse written with the least siginifican digit first.

Scientific notation cures this somewhat, but the radix is put last.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

unless we switch to binary first.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

What's the advantage of that?

would't 14 eggs be more conveinent to those who eat eggs regularly?

Bulk eggs are on 30-place trays. stacked one tray north-south and the next east-west

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

I use a piece of string, a row of boxes, a stack of papers. Why use someone elses units if you are not communicating?

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Pi aproximation day is 22/7

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

yes big deal when you deal with ambiguous words like quickly,

with current usage "escaped quickly" already has a meaning (it was an escape involving rapid motion) vs "quickly escaped" (it was an escape without delay)

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Lots of my pies look approximate. I'm good with fillings but pretty bad with crusts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Have you never been to Europe, other than the UK and Ireland? A half litre is the standard measurement for draught beer.

I've not seen the unit "megasecond", although in scientific circles seconds are the only base unit of time ever used for accurate values. You would normally talk about 10? seconds to avoid any confusion.

Reply to
David Brown

Show me. URL please. Google image search finds only the original fuzzy photo:

Show me.

Converting that mess to decimal degrees, I get: 42.739111,-118.314228 Which is roughly the same as the lat-long I posted. Nothing found, nothing seen, nothing there.

Have you ever flown around a hot dry lake bed at 9,000 ft? I have, although it was admittedly long ago. At that altitude, it's quite a bit colder than on the ground. The result is quite a bit of heat shimmer, which does a fabulous job of making straight lines look wiggly. The dust in the air also turns anything black on the ground into gray and creates some scintillation. Looking at the photo, and lacking any ground references, if it really were a mile across, I would guess from the slant angle and parallax that the photo was actually taken at a 45 degree angle at an altitude of about 6,000 ft.

Presumably, this was taken in a Oregon Air National Guard jet. The guard jets are usually flying training flights, not solo missions, so it's likely there were other pilots that saw the mandala. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find their eye witness evidence of photos.

Bringing a camera on a jet is also problematic unless it was tiny. Everything in the jet cockpit must be stowed and secured. If the jet hit an air pocket or some turbulence, the risk of getting a camera in the pilots face or bashing in the instruments is rather high. A loose camera or camera bag in the cockpit is unlikely. If the pilot is wearing a pressure suit, there are a few pockets, but you would not want to place a camera in them as when the suit applies pressure, the camera gets squashed against the body.

It's also very difficult to take a downward pointing photo at a 45 degree angle without getting some part of the jet in the picture. Depending on the type of jet, the downward pointing visibility will vary from good to awful. Take a look at the photo of the F15 flown by the Oregon Air National Guard and notice the position of the canopy: Also, shooting through the canopy at an angle also adds some distortion.

Show me. URL?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Hardly. More likely tri-state: On-Off-Undecided. Or perhaps quantum computing: On-Off-Both-Neither.

With inflation, it's more likely we'll switch to an exponential monetary system, where each increasing unit of exchange is a higher power of 10. For example, one penny would be a centi-doller. one dime would become a deci-dollar. one dollar would still be one dollar. $10 would be a deca-dollar $100 would be a hecto-dollar $1000 would be a kilo-dollar and so on.

However, that's not very consistent and quite confusing. Note the last letter of the prefix below. It really should be: 1 penny = centi-dollar 1 dime = deci-dollar 1 dollar = dollar $10 = deca-dollar $10 = hecta-dollar $100 = centa-dollar $1000 = kila-dollar etc.