Happy Pi Day - New Pi released

And to celebrate a new Pi, the v3+ is released.

For wiringPi users, 2.44 works just fine, but 2.46 fixes a few minor things like the output of the gpio readall command.

-Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

That looks pretty cool! Main differences on the v3, courtesy of Wikipedia (which, naturally, will be in the process of being updated as info is newly released), seem to be

  • 1.4GHz instead of 1.2GHz peak CPU rate
  • 300Mbit/s wired Ethernet throughput instead of 100Mbit/s
  • 802.11ac wireless instead of 802.11n
  • Higher average power usage but lower peak usage
  • Updated Bluetooth - 4.2 instead of 4.1

James Harris
Reply to
James Harris

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 01:45:51 +0000, James Harris declaimed the following:

Nice...

No help when one has routers that run 10/100/1000Mbps

Ditto when one's WiFi access points are 2.4GHz g and 5GHz n; none of my WiFi capable equipment runs on a or c

Dennis Lee Bieber

If your router has gigabit (1000Mbps) then you will now get 300 throughput -

3 times faster than the 100 before!
802.11ac is ac not a and c, and encompasses both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Also it is backwards compatible. It is the current level sold in most modern computers, phones and tablets.
Reply to
Ian Whitmore

Obviously there is no 300 Mbps standard, it?s just gigabit connected via usb 2 (because the processor only has a usb 2 interface).

The standard is ac, there is no c. a, different from ac, is almost the oldest version and every 5 GHz device will have it.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Also support for Power over Ethernet with an appropriate plugin module (I think on the Pi they just exposed the Ethernet pins to a header, but they will sell a module with the transformer to attach to them)

The SoC is also under a heat spreader, which should make it easier to attach further heatsinking (though there are no extra holes for that)

Finally, the wifi/BT chip is shielded that apparently means it's acceptable to the FCC as a radio module, so Pi-enabled products need no further RF compliance testing.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

And it looks like the PoE hat will have a fan too, so allowing higher CPU usage before thottling kicks in ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Mine just arrived.

The element14 (Farnell) shipping box has changed, and they don't bother with an anti-static bag anymore.

I don't see a new Raspbian image, so I'm imaging the current one to a new microSD card at the moment.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

Er,

has one for "March

2018".
Reply to
Roger Bell_West

Ah, you're right. That wasn't there when I looked yesterday.

Instead, I did an upgrade of an image I already had on a previous Pi, and moved the microSD across, and it works.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

I assumed that was just for the DC converter.

Reply to
Rob Morley

They say there's better thermal measurement and management (throttling) too. Presumably a good idea as they're overclocking the CPU. Downside is your current PSU may not be adequate.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Plenty of other PoE kit seems to manage without a fan on the converter

Reply to
Andy Burns

True. Looking at a picture of the PoE hat on a Pi it's obvious that the fan is right above the shiny new SoC. It's a lot neater and cheaper than the earlier Pi Supply product. It does seem to sit rather close, which I guess means it will fit in some current cases, but doesn't leave much space for additional fins. I wonder how noisy it is.

Reply to
Rob Morley