OT: Pi Day tonight (3/14/15 at 9:26:54 (3.141592654)

Like the Congressman who proposed that PI should be 3.

Actually 28 x 13 = 364 and if we had 13 months of 28 days each then the calendar would have a better connection to astonomical reality. Tides would follow a monthly cycle, slightly offset each year.

10 months per year has no benefit, but 10 hours per day might.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

"on the 21st of March".

Reply to
David Brown

That's why it is (roughly) the ISO standard for times and dates.

"2015-03-15 23:59:59.99999" is more common.

Reply to
David Brown

My friend took his wife and daughter to a restaurant for various kinds of pie, which they started eating at 9:26:53 pm (not rounded up). Then they went home and watched Little Rascals and old movies that involved pies in the face. (He has a big collection of those and silent films on DVD.)

I pointed out to him that tomorrow is Square Root of Ten Day. Every day is a holiday when you enjoy irrational numbers. If it's not a square root of an integer, then it's a cube root.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I heard it on a radio cooking talk show called "The Fork Report", KFI 640AM Los Angeles. I forget if he was talking about making pies. But I can only cook about 5 recipes. I'm still waiting for him to tell us how to cook Wonton Soup.

Bill Bowden

You're not going to bitch about miles, rods, or yards?

A *very* small benefit and becoming less so every year. It's a change that not worth the cost.

Reply to
krw

The NIST time standard is the most common, because the most common time signature format these days IS digital. Google maps, the entire GPS (and likely all the other geolocation schemas) all use it. How we set our devices to display it matters not.

The crap we write to each other for OUR gleaning is semantical horseshit to piss an moan about.

The year, the month, the day, and the time are what matters, and that ordering makes the most sense if you were telling someone 500 years in the future about a date. You give the year. That places the focus on a single annum. You state the month as that places the focus on a single month, then the day, then the time of day.

Pretty simple.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

No but I don't have to mention every unit to make the point.

The benefit is deminishing because people use calculators, but it is always easier to do math with a consistent base.

When I have to make a hole in the wall or something where I don't need compatibility with some measurement in inches I tend to use metric.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

snip

WEBN radio in Cincinnati...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

But there is also always a cost of changing one's units. That cost does *not* come down.

I certainly don't (though a couple of my woodworking tools are metric only). Then I'd have to have two sets of tools, just like the #$#@ auto makers force me to have.

Reply to
krw

Well, the yanks can get started on that, since they've pretty much finished stuffing up prepositions with pronouns, and pronouns as direct objects are well on the way.

There's a certain logic to removing the redundant words "me, us, them and whom[*]" from the language, but when I hear "Me and Alice went to the shops", I realise that that's probably not what's happening.

Sylvia

[*] "Whom" was already done, in large part, but is disconcertingly now appearing it places it doesn't belong.
Reply to
Sylvia Else

I say it both ways.

Reply to
McAvity

At least we are reviving the 2nd person plural: y'all, you guys, youse.

Speaking of collective nouns, we were trying to find the one for bicyclists. The winner was "a suicide of bicyclists."

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Second person plural would be "all-y'all"

Someone from nola should know that one.

Reply to
Tom Miller

No. In nola it's

I we

you y'all

he/she/it they

As Phil pointed out, we use to have

thou you

but we lost that somehow. Pity.

The French have their tu/vous, but they messed that up.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I beg to differ. Let's fix the number problems and then we can deal with the sentence structure problems.

All languages are infested with redundancy which acts as a self checking mechanism. It might be possible to remove redundancy, gender, emphasis, and punctuation in an effort to "economize" on the language, but I suspect the unintended side effects might negate any benefits. What I proposed was a half step in the direction of consistency by repositioning the adverbs and pronouns to follow the verb and noun thus making the sentence structure consistent with the big endian style found in numbers, navigation, and most dates. I did not suggest removing anything which methinks would be too radical to be generally accepted.

Note that the SI standard for dates (ISO 8601) already standardizes the big endian format: Now, all that's necessary is to convince 300+ countries to comply (without a military conquest):

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Last week, I helped assemble and install a 3.0 meter Prodelin 1304 dish antenna. Despite skimming the manual several times, I missed the obvious and didn't notice that all the hardware was US standard. Everyone showed up with metric tools. I managed to muddle my way through the first day using adjustable spanners (crescent wrenches) and the few metric wrenches and sockets that happened to almost fit. The second day was a repeat performance as everyone assumed that someone else would bring the US tools, which of course, nobody did. Someone found a US socket set and we survived the 2nd day without any more bloody knuckles.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

They're sorta doing that to latitude and longitude by moving away from degrees, minutes, seconds to just decimal degrees. Working in sexagesimal using base 10 numbers is messy, but might be a better idea:

There was a proposal to dispose of months and days by simply numbering the days of the year from 1 to 365. Therefore 2015-03-15 would be: 2015.074 I don't know what happend to that idea but since I can't find it with Google, I'll assume it's dead.

The grad or gon is 1/400th of a circle. I don't know of any country that has adopted it over the degree:

Some day, everything will be decimalized. Resistance is futile.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I didn't mean that I though that the words should be removed, just that Americans (including American writers of TV shows) seem increasingly reluctant to use them, apparently being unclear about where they should be used. It started with "He shot between Alice and I", then progressed to "He shot Alice and I". I haven't yet heard "He shot I", but give it time, at which point "me" will no longer have a place in the language.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

And of course, the plural of that is "all-y'alls".

Reply to
Ralph Barone