OT: Old Mozilla to new Thunderbird, how to get emails over?

and

dominant

It was the industry standard even back then. All my clients used it. And it was darn near perfect with the graphics import features and all that. I created big fat module specs and also some publications with integral signs that went over three lines and that sort of thing. This was MS-Word 5.0 for DOS.

RAM wasn't quite that pricey, I paid under $500 for four MB, 1MB already came with the PC. The PC itself OTOH set me back over $5k and that did not include the monitor.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

MVS/APL

using it,

I vaguely remember those. Besides client stuff dad did all his business book keeping in APL and wanted to convince me as well. I countered that I'd need to have access during lengthy trips and laptops didn't come with such keyboards. He was mighty disappointed that I started my book keeping with the lowly MS-Works (still do).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

lame.

MVS/APL

using it,

You mean like the Greek letter, "Domino"? (matrix inversion, IIRC) ;-)

The East Fishkill fab used to run all their production reporting on APL. What a mess. It's a great language for scientists and engineers but lousy for anything that has a shelf life longer than fresh bread.

Reply to
krw

differently.

lame.

MVS/APL

using it,

I kind of liked APL but the keyboard having to be a boutique item made it a non-starter for me. In business you've got to remain compatible. Also, for a small business it's a bit overkill.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

differently.

lame.

MVS/APL

using it,

There were versions of "APL" that used a normal keyboard (TLAs for the functions). There were also keyboard stickers that were intended to go on the front of the key caps. Most of the real APL junkies touch typed the stuff anyway so the keyboard issue was moot. I did use it for a decade or so but was never that into it. I never liked write-only languages and I don't like C for the same reason.

Reply to
krw

right.

differently.

are lame.

My MVS/APL=20

huge=20

keep using it,=20

uses=20

get=20

=20

MS-Works has been promoted as one of their finest products, not without = reason.

Reply to
JosephKK

right.

differently.

conventions are lame.

My MVS/APL=20

a huge=20

keep using it,=20

uses=20

get=20

commercially=20

that=20

book=20

The comparability thing is no small part of what made the M$ empire.

Reply to
JosephKK

differently.

lame.

MVS/APL

using it,

Interesting, I've never seen much in terms of reviews about it but that never mattered for me. Unfortunately they've added way too much fluff to it and after version 6.0 I find it too buggy for my taste. Now the last order bell clangeth so it is time to stock up on licenses. It's dirt-cheap.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

differently.

lame.

MVS/APL

using it,

Yep, and they did their job quite well in that domain. I can still read in my MS-Works files from 1989 by just clicking on them. Also, I can store back in the old DOS-Works format provided I don't use version 8 or newer. If anyone wants to try it I recommend not to use 8 or higher. Just like with many other software package, older can mean better.