Is there a newsgrop for Mozilla Thunderbird?

Just had a major hardware meltdown and in its wake also lost email access. Makes it very quiet here :-)

Tried to transfer my email directory from the backup to another PC (they all have Linux now) and Thunderbird will absolutely not display any of the emails in there. So I need help, fast, because I really need it for a church project. Does anyone know a NG for this stuff?

Regards,

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg

Rebuilding the Global Database

If that doesn't work, exit Thunderbird. find the INBOX.msf file. That's the index to the inbox. Erase the msf file. Start Thunderbird and it will automagically build a new index. You might have to erase and rebuild other msf index files.

Go to -> Tools -> Activity Manager You can watch that Thunderbird is doing.

There are various scripts available for fixing Thunderbird, but all the one's I could find are for Windoze, not Linux.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Oops, sorry, that must have gone to PM first:

Thanks, Jeff, I just got it going. At least somewhat. Deleting the msf file initially didn't make it work. I have two accounts into the same directory but not Global as that requires the use of Local. I had to actually make two dummy directories, run Thunderbird with those, then back to the real one, and restart three times. Whew. That sure feels rocky.

There are other weirdnesses in Thunderbird. For example, when you look at the source of my message it lists a really old Windows OS and an ancient Thunderbird version, since forever. I am umpteen iterations farther, brand new Thunderbird and running Linux but Thunderbird never uppdates any of that. Oh well, that's just cosmetic but it peeves some purists in a Linux NG.

Regards,

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg

Mozilla runs a bunch of newsgroups on their servers

Or is this an IMAP question? yellow pages? NIS? kerberos? (depends what you man by "email directory")

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

ey

y.

I gave up on the newsreaders. I used Tbird for years until it crapped out and I could not get it working again. I was able to install Seamonkey whic h is a separate derivative from the same code base. After a year or two it also crapped out. At that point I gave up and started using Google groups here on the dark side of the force. Now GG is threatening to change the U I to something that sucks... again.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, then break it more.

GG may not be perfect, but like everything else in this world, it's going t o change, with you or without you and you often don't have the choice of wi thout you.

I really liked my '63 Chevy II. Those cars were not made to be driven so l ong. If I still had one, I'd supersize it with an electric motor and batte ry. The battery might keep the floor pan from rusting out. lol

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

Deleting and recreating the inbox.msf file is only to check if you can read the messages already in your inbox. If you have one corrupted msf index file, you're likely to have others. Every folder and message file has an msf file. Rather than wait for something else to fail, I suggest that you erase every msf file that you can find under the profile folder and erase them. They should be hidden under: ~/.thunderbird/ ~/.mozilla-thunderbird Then, start Thunderbird to rebuild the msf indexes. If you have a large number of messages saved, it might take a while. When done, and you're sure things are working, Run: File -> Compact Folders.

That doesn't make much of a difference. A different email account under the same user profile is just another folder.

The bigger they are, the harder they crash. I keep old messages under Local Folders. The smaller the databases that the DBM (database mangler) has to do, the better it works.

Look for drive cloning and imaging software suitable for making backups. I've been using Clonezilla, but am looking for something easier, better, and faster:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Use the news.mozilla.org server on port 23. No security necessary. Subscribe to mozilla.support.thunderbird.

I assume that it will work on your very old version of TB.

--

Jeff
Reply to

Not a newsgroup but there is a web support forum and place for reporting bugs. They are usually very helpful if you have a genuine fault.

Check that someone hasn't already had the same problem. I expect recovering from OS meltdown on Windows isn't an uncommon problem.

Good luck!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Can't help you with your problem but I've been using with Thunderbird. The price is sure right. I have a Macbook Air though if that matters.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I cld not find that one in the line-up. My news service sually carries all NGs except binary ones.

Like I mentioned, the header info is wrong. I am using the newest TB but it never updates the message source info. For whatever reason.

Regards,

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg

Thanks.

It as a HW meltdown. The PC shut down by itself and cannot be started anymore. The PSU and switch are ok but the motherboard refuses to pull down the green line on the PSU. Probably something simple but Dell does not provide schematics. It is (was?) a very good PC, a Dell XPS 8700 with a powerful Intel i7 in there.

The OS here is MX-Linux

Thanks, I got it going well enough to work with email but it ain't the same as before. Much slower.

Regards,

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg

I was referring to the mozilla news server, not your own news service, Not all carry the Moz support newsgroups (Eternal-September doesn't, for example). Try the following:

File | New | Other accounts

Click on Newsgroup accounts | Next

Complete your name and email address you want to show | Next

In the "Incoming Server Information" box enter news.mozilla.org

Enter the same wording (or whatever you want) in the "Account Name" box

Click on Finish. You might have to enter the port information (23) if TB doesn't enter it automatically.

You should find all the Mozilla support NGs (and many others) available.

No idea why it's doing that. Does the same thing happen in Safe Mode?

--

Jeff
Reply to

You aren't paying close attention. This is not a group carried by anyone other than mozilla. You have to use their servers, as in a different account.

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

I thought that until I checked. Eternal-September doesn't carry the groups, but Solani does. Don't know about aioe and others.

You have to use their servers, as in a different account.

Yup. See my reply to Joerg; I hope that if he follows the info I gave he will be able to access the Moz support NGs.

--

Jeff
Reply to

I can't speak about your problem but I've solved all of mine by using the 'Thunderbird Portable' version and carry several instances on a flash drives.

Reply to
gray_wolf

Bulging electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard, but more likely in the power supply. Replace power supply and see if that fixes it. If not, replacement (used) Z87 motherboard. About $100.

Hmmm... I've been meaning to try something simpler than Ubuntu and Mint. Comparison of Ubuntu with MX-Linux: Two members of the local Linux user group are running MX-Linux on removable and portable (and resistant) media, and just moving the drives from machine to machine.

I would normally suggest doing image backups, which backs up everything and is quite fast. So far, I don't like what I've tried, so no recommendation. Nobody makes backups until AFTER they have lost data.

Incidentally, when I evacuated my house to avoid the CZU fire, I moved my home Win7 mini-tower (HP Pavilion Elite m9077c) to my Spartan former office. It worked just fine while I was there. However, when I returned home 13 days later, it wouldn't boot. It was complaining that it couldn't boot from various non-existent media devices (SD, CD, SM, XD, etc). The problem was a failed USB to media card adapter, clever buried under many layers of wire, plastic, and metal. No way to disable the adapter in the BIOS. However, if I wait approximately

20 minutes for the BIOS to time out trying to boot from all 4 slots, it functions normally. I'm currently in the process of moving my business stuff to a smaller Linux Mint 20.x and my "productivity" stuff to Win10 on a Dell Optiplex 9020 i7 SFF.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Try the grc.techtalk group at the grc.com server.

Browse to grc.com to get the parameters, or use the web interface there.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Thanks. Meantime I got the Thunderbird going, with a lot of massaging. However, Firefox is absolutely recalcitrant when it comes to profile transfers. It refuses to start, saying "it's already running" which isn't true.

While I can download headers and post, I am unable to write there even with port 23. All I get is this:

A News (NNTP) error occurred: No valid newsgroups in "mozilla.support.firefox"

No idea what that means because I can read all the posts in that very NG.

The header is always wrong but that's more cosmetic. Makes people think I am using a stone-age system.

--
Regards, Joerg
http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Can't help with Thunderbird but I have noticed for at least a year now that Firefox seems to keep running for a minute or more after you exit. The window closes and the taskbar icon becomes unhighlighted immediately but if you exit then fairly quickly try to launch it again it will complain about already being running. I assume it is doing some internal housekeeping tasks. I don't know exactly how long to wait, I just do something else and then come back and try again. Maybe you were closing it and then trying to reopen it too soon to test your transfer?

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Oops, accidentally went to PM. I've got to get the reply button out of the newsgroup part of TB.

So here again:

No, I waited a long time. However, I found out that one can get most of the old profile in with a sledgehammer. Copy one file after the other but just for the bookmarks, cookies and stuff. One by one, test after each copy, stop and revert if it freezes up. This profile transfer feels a bit buggy.

[...]