OT - Innocent men held as Guantanamo Bay prisoners

Fred, You are a gentleman and a scholar! Too bad Win isn't ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I don't think so. I believe that 911 sent him a message that his destiny was to "civilize the Arabs", which is quite an undertaking if you think about it.

John

You are getting to be so coarse. Wake up. Look at yourself.

John

It's interesting that you seem to dislike me (or, more precisely, dislike my newsgroup personna) so much. I can only conjecture why.

Jim's enjoys pulling certain parties' chains now and then, but you can hardly argue that his presence has made the world a worse place.

He's found a local source and doesn't need me any more (sniffle.) Would you like to try some? How about a nice refrigerator magnet?

John

IX. 5-6: Kill those who join other gods with God wherever you may find them.

VIII.39-42: Say to the Infidels: if they desist from their unbelief, what is now past shall be forgiven; but if they return to it, they have already before them the doom of the ancients! Fight then against them till strife be at an end, and the religion be all of it God's.

I know there is even more precise statements about killing infidels. I will keep looking.

...Jim Thompson

Also note that those "interned" were free to move to states away from the left coast (many went to college in the midwest), or to enlist in the armed forces, most to be sent to Europe. I believe the most decorated unit in the US Army was Japanese.

Yeah, there's a lot of that going around; Dove Flu.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Bemelman views the world through shit-colored glasses ;-)

It REALLY is such great fun! Blue-nosed tree-hugging leftist weenies have such thin skins ;-)

I REALLY appreciated the wheat beer. You've made me a convert.

The next time I'm heading to San Jose or Berkeley I'll give you a call.

...Jim Thompson

That sounds like a *nifty* thing to say but my guesstimate of what was going on here, without any foreknowledge of the details, was right *on point* as they say. The case in dispute is Rasul v. Bush and it was precisely a jurisdictional issue. Here is a quote of the summary in the majority decision: "Whether and what further proceedings may become necessary after respondents make their response to the merits of petitioners? claims are matters that we need not address now. What is presently at stake is only whether the federal courts have jurisdiction to determine the legality of the Executive?s potentially indefinite detention of individuals who claim to be wholly innocent of wrongdoing. Answering that question in the affirmative, we reverse the judgment of the Court of Appeals and remand for the District Court to consider in the first instance the merits of petitioners? claims. It is so ordered." And this was based upon an overly technical review of previous Supreme Court rulings on the interpretation of the determining law in United States Code 28 U. S. C. §2241(c)(3). Congress is now changing that law, which is their right if not an obligation in this case, and this will

*vitiate* Rasul v. Bush. In case you don't know what that means: Definition: [v] take away the legal force of or render ineffective. The new law will read that aliens in military detention, who are suspected of terrorist activity, will not have the right habeas corpus. End of story. Everything going on here is quite legal, quite Constitutional, quite reasonable, and quite sane, and there is no reason to become upset over things you do not understand.
Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reality is often politically incorrect. B-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Mac wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bar.net:

I'm uncertain of that;some of them surely would have aided Japan,by providing intelligence or other means.

By throwing millions of US troops into an invasion of the Japan mainland.

IOW,Schuler would rather have OUR troops killed than the enemy's troops.

He's wrong across the board.(wrong about Japan and wrong about Iraq)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"John Larkin" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

It takes more than coarse language to be coarse. Your responses are the living proof of that.

An Jim Thompson is a piece of shit. Everybody knows that by now.

Okay, nuf said, send him a box of white beer if you must.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

Dreaming....

Out to lunch mate.

Do you know what the word "suspect" means?

Like a nod and a wink, yeah, he looks a bit shifty. Lets 'hav him.

Its f'ing insane to ok any governments plans to hold innocent people without trial. One day it will be you they hold, if we're lucky.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

You've been watching too many The Sweeney reruns, methinks. Guv.

Reply to
Never Mind

My apologies... Unpleasant though they may be, these issues should indeed be aired, I guess. :-/

--

"What is now proved was once only imagin\'d" - William Blake
Reply to

This doesn't matter. It is simply wrong to detain US citizens because you think they might commit a crime in the future. It violates many of the provisions of the Bill of Rights.

Humane detention of foreign nationals of countries with whom we are at war makes a certain amount of sense.

Right. A reasonable Japanese person might conclude from the way we conducted our WWII bombing raids that our goal was total annihilation of the Japanese people. Given that, and the culture of Japan at the time, it seems fair to say that taking mainland Japan would have been pretty costly in terms of US troops.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

[snip]

The heroics of the Japanese-American units is now legendary.

But you are just polishing a turd. Many of the Japanese Americans who were forced to relocate lost EVERYTHING. In addition, even for those living inland, all firearms and optics were confiscated for the duration of the war. These were natural-born US citizens who were presumed guilty by racial heritage. A disgrace.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

But, with a straight face, Jeb declared he has no interest in moving up in politics. He certainly _looks_ more honest than his smirking brother.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Not to mention that there's the 22nd Amendment...

"No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term."

...Jim Thompson

I think that's a bit ambitious, even for Bush, although it would certainly be his dream. I'll bet you that wee brother Jeb will be a candidate for the next election - keeping it all in the family.

Reply to
David Brown

The Russians were about to invade - that's what made the Japanese surrender, not the bomb. The bomb, especially the second one which was dropped after the surrender, was a demonstration to the USSR that had nothing to do with Japanese surrender. It was part of the complicated part ally, part rival relationship between the USA and the USSR. You could well argue that it was necessary to maintain the balance there - Russian dominance in south east Asia would have been a big problem for the USA.

Reply to
David Brown