OT - Innocent men held as Guantanamo Bay prisoners

I do not misunderstand anything having received formal postgraduate education on the basics of this subject matter ( with A+ performance as usual), and I'm not going to quibble over fundamentals and theoretical ideals. I am no scholar, but I know what I know.

You're missing that they are detainees held by the US military, a class apart from your limited set of options.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

We have 2005-1789=216 years of historical development and refinement of these fundamental Constitutional powers, making it a small research task to get educated on what the hell is going on. I have better things to do. All you need to know is that there is so much adversarial advocacy built into our present day system that you don't need to worry about anyone pulling a fast one.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Disgusting, the US should have shot them dead or blown them to bits in Afghanistan like all the others instead of dragging them half way across the world to imprison them.

Reply to
nospam

I'm not talking of Muslims in general, but Islamic fundamentalists in particular.

Get real, Win. Why don't you just trot off to France and help them hoist the white flag ?:-)

Clearly, if we sit on our hands, we're going to get seriously wounded or destroyed. I don't choose to let that course play out

You don't think the 9th Circuit is so liberal weenie that the majority of its decisions are ultimately overturned?

Probably so... the liberal press has pretty well shot him full of holes... but it looks possible that he has abandoned politically correct posturing and is coming out fighting.

You're s-o-o-o naive.

Don't hold your breath, wouldn't want to lose such an amusing adversary ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Come ON, Jim, there you go being politically incorrect again ;-)

...Jim Thompson

LBJ, Vietnam.

John

Nine One One changed the way we think ... not all of us ... but too many of us.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

You are getting to be so asshole. Wake up. Smell the coffee.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Not for the better, in my opinion. Pearl Harbor was the first of two attacks that substantially changed our world view: as to our safety and our viability as an on-going society. We did the wrong thing in reacting to that first unfortunate incident (we did not have to nuke them to end that conflict) and we are doing the wrong thing now. We got away with our first over-reaction but might not prevail, in like manner, this time.

We are what we are. We are human beings with enormous rationalization abilities. We sit in a temporary (shaky) position of world dominance, which unfortunately amplifies our tendency to rationalize. We indeed do have a right to defend ourselves; but some standards of human behavior are currently being violated which now puts us in the same frame of reference that we use to describe those heinous enemies of our culture. We are becoming them. Read our Bill of Rights, to see how we are becoming quite schizophrenic.

How long before we rationalize the need to nuke another country? North Korea ... Iran ... Egypt ... any and all of those evil cultures out there who have the audacity to disagree? I'll vote for France (just kidding, as I decided to end this on a light note).

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Yes, that was terrible. Ok, my memory is only.....sort of fair.

But I think Bush is power hungry and would like to create conditions where he believes the country will mandate an additional term for him.

Reply to
Don Bowey

You give yourself too much credit.

Reply to
Don Bowey

I don't know what Jim understands or feels. It seems I understand innocent better than you understand irony.

Reply to
nospam

nospam wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm glad we don't shoot captured prisoners;besides it not being right or our way,they have gotten valuable information from some of them. I note that some "innocent" prisoners have been released and returned to their country,and RECAPTURED in later fighting against US troops.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

[snip]

The internment of Japanese-Americans was a disgrace. But how were we going to convince Japan to surrender without using the bomb?

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Not only off-topic but deeply depressing. Kindly don't post this stuff.

--

"What is now proved was once only imagin\'d" - William Blake
Reply to

Attempt? I made an ironic comment on an ironic subject. I find your concern for the innocent in Guantanamo be to extremely ironic considering they are actually the lucky ones, the ones you didn't shoot dead or blow to bits a few years ago.

Reply to
nospam

I'm sorry to have upset you Paul, but you saw the "OT" and the title, so you could have easily given the whole thread a pass.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Actually it says no such thing.

That you should think so simply shows that you don't have a factual grasp of the issues. Clearly you prefer propaganda.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

If it was legitimately for this reason, why were the Japanese-americans of Hawaii and the German-americans and Italian-americans of the continental US not also confined?

Reply to
cs_posting

On further reading, some where - but not in the same wholesale way, especially not those who were US citizens.

Reply to
cs_posting