OT - Innocent men held as Guantanamo Bay prisoners

A guy my dad worked with always said that. He got his wish one morning in the group's parking lot and was teased about it till he retired a year later. ;-)

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Don't forget the recall on ambulances a few years ago. They were all built on Ford chassis and not only caught fire, but most of the fires happened when they were transporting someone to a hospital.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There's a list here:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

How do you like this ? Four more years of bullshitting and trying to justify the excesses of your "Fuhrer".

Give up now. Your murdering imbecilic president is not worth supporting.

Reply to
richard.mullens

Jasen Betts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@clunker.homenet:

the UN "Oil-for-Food" program shows that they were NOT working.

How about for a "dirty" bomb? But,no matter what,it STILL is a precursor for nuclear weapons,WMD.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

This was the program that significantly helped the Iraqi populace with food and medicine, with a level of corruption not significantly higher than many big international deals (especially those involving oil) suffer from? And where something like 85% of the corruption profits ended up in the hands of Americans - a fact they American authorities like to gloss over while claiming it is proof that the UN should be disbanded?

It is also useless for making a dirty bomb. Without the necessary processing and refinement equipment (which admittedly is easier for making dirty bomb quality material than nuclear bomb quality material), uranium ore is of no risk to anyone.

It's also a precursor to perfectly legitimate peaceful nuclear power. And it is also far from the hardest part involved in putting together a nuclear bomb.

Reply to
David Brown

I looked, but found no list. I guess the list is MIA also.

Reply to
Richard Henry

David Brown wrote in news:43889d6c$ snipped-for-privacy@news.wineasy.se:

Except that Saddam siphoned off a lot of it to pay for his pet projects. Of course,that was with French,German,and Russian knowledge and assistance.

"not significantly higher"; an unfounded assertion impossible to prove.

Yeah,sure;Ask the ecofreaks about that,or how toxic uranium is. Heck they're still bitching about the DU used in tank penetrator rounds.

Which Iraq did NOT have...

But a necessary step.

What an apologist you have become for Saddam.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Jim Yanik is a Nazi.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

====================================

Be careful! Otherwise you will find yourself on the CIA's Dirty-tricks Department's computer.

Reply to
Reg Edwards

Not it doesn't.

The issue is totally unrelated.

The nuclear inspections had done their job.

Uranium ore isn't any good for a dirty bomb either you idiot. How do you think it's mined ? By robots ?

Hint. Uranium ore isn't very radioactive.

No damn use whatever without the ability to process nuclear fuels.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

weapons,WMD.

To build power stations and produce atomic weapons requires an industrialised nation with many hi-tech factories and many thousands of skilled and well educated workers. Stocks of raw materials and the means of transport cannot be hidden. It is impossible to hide the industrial capacity and infrostructure from surveillance satellites.

It must have been obvious to the Americans that it was impossible for the Iraqis to produce weapons of mass destruction for at least 15 years even if they had tried. Manufacture of the means of delivery, radar stations, etc., and launching sites are equally impossible to hide unless, at impossible expense, all is underground. The same applies to the 'Axis of Evil', Iran and North Korea.

The excuses for the piracy of occupying Iraq for its oil fields and pipelines were nothing more than obvious lies. The rest of the World, (except Blair) including the United Nations, was not fooled but was incapable of doing anything about it.

Only China and India are in the way of USA and Multinational Energy Corporations' complete domination of this overcrowded planet. Do we want 24-hour boozing in our pubs?

Reply to
Reg Edwards

Israel did quite well at hiding nuclear stuff underground at Dimona. I guess that US 'aid' came in handy ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Walking through Prague this Summer, I came across a building with an Infrared beam (I assumed) in front of the Vehicle Entrance doors and a convex mirror on a pole for looking at the underneaths of cars. Wondering out loud as to the owner of this building, a passer-by said that it was the American Embassy. I guess that they're rightly feeling somewhat paranoid.

But yes, somesuch device for looking under my car might be a useful investment. The thought has occurred to me before.

Reply to
richard mullens

Yes, a "plonker" is english slang for a penis - as in "He got out his plonker". It is also quite a strong term of abuse.

This meaning predates Usenet I'm sure.

Reply to
richard mullens

Yes, a lot of the profits got siphoned off - by Saddam, by the French, Germans and Russians, and by Americans. Outside of Iraq, it was Americans that got the lion's share. My point is not that there was no corruption, but that a) people did get food, and b) the group shouting loudest were the group that actually caused some of the biggest problems, and were in the position to do something about it.

If unfounded assertions that are impossible to prove are good enough for Bush to invade sovereign powers on the other side of the globe, then they are good enough for usenet.

You don't actually know what you are talking about, do you? Raw uranium ore is a rock containing very small amounts of uranium compounds. It would not be a good idea to eat it, but the most efficient way to kill people with it is to beat them over the head. Long term exposure is definitely a cancer risk, and you have to take precautions when handling it, but it's not a weapon without a great deal of work and expensive equipment. Depleted uranium is a different matter altogether. The big problem with it is that after a DU shell hits its target, there is a spray of very fine radioactive uranium oxide dust. This dust easily gets into the eyes and lungs of innocent civilians, and causes all sorts of problems.

I am not an apologist for Saddam - I have never been a fan (though several American presidents have been). However, he was no longer a serious threat to anyone, the reasons given for the US war on Iraq were all fabricated (at best based on knowingly outdated information), and the current state of Iraq is in many ways worse for the Iraqi people and certainly worse for the security and safety of the USA and the world in general.

Reply to
David Brown

I don't think Blair was ever fooled by Bush. He is many things, but not a fool - unlike the USA, being at least reasonably smart is a qualification for becoming head of state. In addition, Blair had access to a lot more of the Bush administrations plans and dreams than almost anyone else.

What would be very interesting to know is the extent to which Blair agreed with the plans, and to what extend he influenced them (he is known to have limited or slowed them on at least two occasions). But for the most part, I think he is somewhat like Collin Powel - he knew it was wrong (or at least, not the right way to go about it), but out of loyalty he had no choice.

Reply to
David Brown

It's pretty much impossible at least in historic experience to hide the entire infrastructure. But it is possible, and probably has been done, to fairly effectively hide a small weapons program piggybacking on the infrastructure of a large and public nuclear power one.

The reason uranium ore is of little concern is that it has to go through the obvious part of the infrastructure - processing and bulk low-grade enrichment - before it can go through the potentially concealable part. Iraq wasn't in a position to do that... wheras North Korea, etc has the processing and reactor infrastructure. The proposed deal with Iran doing its processing in Russia is to try to make it easier to keep an eye on what goes into the plant and what comes out (though how owning your own reactor fuel production facility located in a foreign nation is superior in terms of economics, national pride, or security to simply buying the enriched product from them, who knows)

Reply to
cs_posting

LOL! This one's a keeper. ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

mile.

If tungsten dust is bad, I guess I missed the memo or something. My office opens into a fab shop, where they have several TIG welders, and they regularly grind a new point on their thoriated tungsten electrodes. And nobody seems too worried about thoriated tungsten dust. But they do several different kinds of welding and machining, and they don't seem too worried about a whole lot of crap in the air (like grinder dust from other alloys, weld fume in general, burning coolant, that sort of thing).

And, did you know, you eat over a ton of dirt every day? ;-P

Cheers! Rich

[ObSpoiler: "over" in this case, means "above", as in, "while eating, you're above a ton of dirt." It's a peculiarly American play on words.]