OT - Innocent men held as Guantanamo Bay prisoners

Do you think the Iraqis can do it without our aid? I suspect that, if we pull out, the extremists will take over and we will have yet another Iran on our hands.

...Jim Thompson

The city comes around with these vacuum trucks in the fall and sucks the leaves up from the curb, so we just have to pile them up on the strip of grass betwixt sidewalk and road. They do it three times each season-- the last one for us this year is supposed to be next week. After that, and they would have to go into the special paper yard waste bags for recycling (and it would take about 200 of those big bags for us). If I'm around I'll try to get a photo and post it in abse. Burning leaves is not allowed, of course. Even though it smells kinda nice.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hauling those leaves off is a dumb thing to do- they are a natural form of fertilizer for the trees. I will bet that your whole yard leaf fall will fit into a 4 x 4 x 4 ft compost box after being shredded suitably by a cheap chipper/shredder, and the same goes for reasonably sized branches. You can also throw in organic wastes like vegetable peelings and egg shells from the kitchen- no animal fats should be used unless you want to really stink up the place. All of this will decompose into usable fertilizer within weeks depending upon temperature.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Yeah, I agree, it's a waste of rich organic matter, but leaving them in place would kill the grass. The big trees are more than happy enough as it is according the the professional arbori$t dudes. The grass is what needs more sunlight and fertilizer.

About 2/3 of them are in a pile about 30' long x a triangle with 5' base and about 3' tall at the apex. That implies more like 330 cubic feet, or about five of those boxes. This year I've left about 1/3 of the leaf load in marginal areas that are not growing enough grass. There isn't enough concentrated mass to get the really fast composting going with the elevated temperatures, but they will eventually (in a season or two) become rich soil.

Good advice- composting. In this case, the city hauls off the stuff, composts it, and then sells it. I don't have to.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

So far, the Republicans have responded by calling him a coward.

Reply to
Richard Henry

some

With guerrillas (or SpecOps troops, the organized equivalent).

Reply to
Richard Henry

I've had a couple of bottles of TO-92 case transistors for 20 years now; I'm slowly working through them. They're from a big box of stuff donated by Tektronix to the Portland State IEEE student chapter. We just loaded up a pound (or maybe 5) of stuff per box and sold them for a couple of bucks per box.

They're all house-marked, but whenever I need a jellybean small signal transistor I just shake one out and use it. Hasn't gone wrong yet.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Why don't you read some history, and realize that this kind of behaviour has *always* come to reflect negatively on those carrying it out.

You'd think a path that has every single time come out to cause more harm than benefit isn't something we'd have to wait for a future verdict to know is wrong this time.

Reply to
cs_posting

Yes, we probably will. And then we'll have to wait 30 years or so for it to start to mellow out as a new generation comes to power. But that's the price of our rash mistake in getting involed in the first place... we can start the timer in six months, or we can start it after

10 more years of war.
Reply to
cs_posting

None, but the comment on Israel was rather unfortunate.

It had looked like Iran was starting to mature and become an ordinary member of the community of nations, now things seem to be a bit sidetracked.

Wonder what role our little crusade next door (against which Iran is providing a fair amount of what they probably view as defense aid) might have had in stirring up rehtoric?

Reply to
cs_posting

Mee too! (not the crusty refrigerator or stupid badge)

--
  Keith
Reply to

list

and

Including the purge of your political rivals? How positively European of you.

--
  Keith
Reply to

[...]

Yes, I guess they are terrified to do otherwise.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Remind me again who Iran has invaded... And while doing that, explain why it is *your* problem what the Iranians do.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

True - against the Iranians mostly.

And so justified are all pre-emptive strikes.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Well, if I'd been named as one of the Axis of Evil and had seen No 2 on the list invaded by the US, and No 1 left alone because they really did have biochem and nukes I'd probably draw some obvious conclusions.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

How long will it be necessary to continue occupying?

Which is cheaper, occupying or watching?

I don't think it would be a stretch at all to argue watching is less than half the cost of occupying, ie, you could keep it up twice as long.

Reply to
cs_posting

Appealed, and accepted for review, a much smaller number.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

If that happens, you haven't been conducting a very effective regime of watching. Wheras between the two Iraq wars, the regime of watching was quite effective.

The UN has no widely acknowledged authority to invasively watch or take action in N. Korea or Iran; it did have (at a least a self-granted) authority to do so in Iraq for which it was receiving far more consistent cooperation from the Iraqis than any comparable efforts with regard to N. Korea or Iran.

Problem is, Bush decided to rush in even though those doing the watching were pretty much in agreement that there was no need to - Bush got tired of waiting for an actual violation that would justify his pet project. Any sensible person would have realized that Saddam was not a threat as long as it was obvious that any real violation would lead to his forcible removal. Unfortunatley, Bush jr refused to play by the rules of that bargain - something that's likely to prevent other embattled states from making any real agreements with countries that have proven they do not bargain in good faith - ie, the US.

Reply to
cs_posting

"During the 2003-2004 term, the Supreme Court reversed 76 percent of the cases that it chose to hear from appeals of 9th Circuit decisions, compared to a 77-percent average reversal rate for all circuit courts nationally. During the 2002-2003 term, the court's reversal rate was

75 percent, compared to a 73-percent average reversal rate nationally; and during the 2001-2002 term, the 9th Circuit's 76-percent reversal rate was roughly the same as the national average of 75 percent. In previous years, the 9th Circuit Court's reversal rate had exceeded the national average, most notably during the 1996-1997 term, when the court's 95-percent reversal rate far exceeded the national average of 71 percent and "earned the Western circuit [the 9th Circuit] its reputation as the nation's 'most reversed,' " according to a July 3, 2004, Sacramento Bee article."

Maybe we don't need the Circuit Courts of Appeal at all ?:-)

But even YOU have to admit that the "sex survey" decision was pretty bad?

Or do you think educators know better than parents?

...Jim Thompson