OT: Funding for Ebola

The lab, not the base. Don't recall his title.

Col. James Arthur, M.D., USAMC Pediatrician, Fellowship in Infectious Disease, Johns-Hopkins; collaborator in meningitis vaccine development. Tour in Korea, worked on genetically-engineered vaccines incl. Korean Hemorraghic Fever, IIRC. (Anti-bodies produced courtesy of goat "Billy," gruffly.)

Smart. Incredibly decent, compassionate, dedicated.

One of the finest men to ever walk this planet.

Fred might be interested in this:

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Are those West African mosquitoes? I'm not sure two European mosquitoes could lift a coconut.

George H.

(To me it seems people are overly worried. Yeah we should have been taking care of this. And if you catch it..."sorry charlie", but it's really hard to catch it.)

Reply to
George Herold

ote:

e:

ne. You come down hard on the CDC but hold that ATROCIOUS DOD CESSPOOL at F t Detrick in high regard! JUST UNBELIEBVABLE!

S.)

If you were krw, I'd suspect that this meant they shared your political opi nions - as is not uncommon with well-paid medical professionals. When it co mes to climate scientists, your judgement is clearly biased by political co nsiderations, but medical people's scientific opinions aren't usually polit ically controversial, so they may well have been good, though I doubt if yo u know enough to be able to declare them "top-notch".

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

No you are not!

She lied to CDC. How difficult is that for you to understand? There are many more symptoms than just fever, they ran down the list and she lied about every one of them. Just like the African she treated, she lied.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

If you're right that's a horse of a different color, but where are you getting that she lied? The CDC has publicly admitted she called, told them she had a 99.5F fever, and that she was told she was good to fly.

Where's Vinson's lie?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

It's not that difficult. Admittedly, projectile vomiting does not hurl the infectious material as fast as a sneeze does, but there's more of it and it doesn't slow down as fast.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e:

er.

many more symptoms than just fever, they ran down the list and she lied ab out every one of them. Just like the African she treated, she lied.

Fred's claim is that she would have been asked questions about symptoms bey ond her temperature, that she must have had some of those symptoms, and th at she failed to mention them. This would be lying by omission - which is s imilar to the text chopping and "unmarked snips" which you do seem to regar d as acceptable tactics.

It all sounds a bit hypothetical to me ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ISTM it's easily caught and spread, but you have to touch it. If we're vigilant and careful if needn't catch fire here.

It's quite nasty though, and a top priority for the appropriate authorities.

I'm not personally worried. West Africa's on the brink.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

She told the CDC she was otherwise feeling well, but her family came forward and said she was not feeling well every since she arrived. Read between the lines, she misled the CDC so she get a free flight.

Cheers yourself

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

They're supposed to have the patient inside one of these BPCUs, biocontainment patient care unit. If they can't rig it up, they shouldn't be treating the patient there:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Eyes, mouth, nose and breaks in the skin- aerosolized bodily fluids will do it.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Hmm Yeah I guess so... none of these graphs is going in the right direction.

George Herold

The transfer being conducted by a bunch of blokes in full bunny suits and one earnest looking guy with a clipboard, no PPE and no clue filling in the paperwork. Another at the ambulance just in scrubs.

You couldn't make it up! A chain is as strong as its weakest link...

The bare minimum for proximity is a full face shield. You can always scrub the guy red raw with bleach for skin contamination (as once happened to a colleague who came out hot from a nuclear plant).

The PR droids explanation was risible!

Bare minimum precautions if the Ebola virus is as advertised are about the same as for handling a bulk HF spill. Except that you have a 70% chance of dying with Ebola rather than a very nasty chemical burn.

Anyone working withh Ebola should be shown the HF safety film in training as it would help focus minds on the contamination hazards. The film itself causes casualties at most showings.

Indeed but if Ebola breaks loose in a major city will will pay dearly for failing to prioritise it as a virulent disease threat.

CDC do a great impression of the Keystone Cops.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

That link points to this thread.

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Where have you parked your brain? In both cases the patients were packed in to hazmat suits, they present no infection risk whatsoever. That is the onl y way to transport them without jumping through hoops to rig biohazard cont ainment compartments on all the various transportation modes they will be u sing. The other people in full protective gear are probably there in case a n emergency develops and they have to open the suit.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Good news! We now have an Ebola Tzar to straighten everything out.

He's a lawyer and political operative with no medical or public health experience. And he reports to two people!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Oops, my bad. I was just searching for graphs of ebola.. all still exponentially rising.

I just saw that about O putting a lawyer/politician as Ebola Czar. I voted for the man, but where the bleep is his head at? Why not a doctor who does infectious diseases? (Answer, because he's still more worried about the political consequences.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Well, a perfect fit...after all, it IS a government job. Do not want anyone competent.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, you want someone competent but you have a point. The competent wouldn't want a government job.

Reply to
krw

You might not be aware that we have the lawful ability to confine and quarantine people, it was simply not thought necessary. The NBC crew who promised, then broke quarantine are now involuntarily confined, AIUI, as were patient-zero Duncan's flat-mates.

I don't think it's that simple.

Governments exist first and foremost to protect their citizens; one can't deny there's potentially a role for government. OTOH government is maximally inefficient and political--just look at all the money they dumped selling their Obamacare website compared to protecting the U.S. from Ebola.

One has to agree free markets can't and don't anticipate every need. There's usually a delay. Also, gov'ts should but free markets don't necessarily have national security as their first priority (though buckets of government money drastically change that equation). Free people are usually far nimbler, efficient, and more innovative than the alternatives, however.

Some interaction between the two might serve best. If the gov't fatheads identify the need, and private companies compete to fill it, that's one possible model.

Have governments done better on their own? Has--in the last three decades--U.K.'s NHS brewed up an Ebola vaccine? Has any other nation's government?

Meanwhile, several Ebola drugs in the pipeline (such as the one given to Brantly and colleague, and the U.K. nurse), contradict the idea that "little serious research has been done on drug development." Surely there's a need, and several outfits have been working to fill it for a long time.

Certain U.S. government health officials have suggested they'd have had an Ebola vaccine already but for budget priorities. Obamacare, meanwhile, hasn't suffered any cuts. Per those officials, the tiniest sliver of the Affordable Carp disaster could've created a vaccine. That's political.

YMMV.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat