OT: Funding for Ebola

arxiv.org/pdf/1012.5166.pdf

Very specious research. With the advent of PCR even one stray molecule of DNA can appear in a study like this. In order to prevent contamination the strictest controls must be used. Even then it is not hard to cross contaminate in a sloppy experiment. In this experiment two tubes are placed in close proximity, one containing DNA and the other not containing DNA. Is it surprising when the one without DNA develops DNA when PCR is used?

--

Rick
Reply to

His numbers won't go much lower. He has hit the rock-bottom lefty floor now. They'll never admit their mistake.

Leave him do the only thing he's capable of doing.

Reply to
krw

Umbrage at that snippy statement. Yes, I know how the mosquito injects, sucks, and leaves. And yes, there are diseases that have evolved to take advanatage of the 'life cycle'. My point is that if merely 'touching' one's face with contamination can transfer ebola, why isn't it possible for the mosquito to simply have 'touched' [in a manner of speaking] and is merely transferring to another? This is NOT wild speculation from the uninformed but a very serious question from someobdy counting on others to know the answers, or at least pursue the answers to these questions.

Reply to
RobertMacy

That came up as just text, not an EXACT URL.

is that

is ok, hopefully posting back, should make it work.

Reply to
RobertMacy

replying worked! thanks.

Reply to
RobertMacy

As ever the devil is in the detail, but I would hazard a guess that after wearing full PPE for a shift you are dripping in sweat and the temptation to mop your brow when unsuiting is almost irresistable.

Conjecture at present centres around the use of goggles rather than ful face shield as being the weakness in PPE allowing infection of workers. What is clear is that the carers need to be very careful with it.

There is actually a reasonable question hiding in here. Flies are everywhere in the tropics and attracted to extreta from either end. It would therefore seem likely that they might well be local vectors unless the flies digestive enzymes destroy the virus quickly. My guess is that the tiny contamination delivered by a fly to normal bare skin will dry out and digestive enzymes kill the virus before it infects.

The virus is reported to be unusually large - just big enough to see with an optical microscope and fairly fragile killed by dilute bleach.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I heard on the news that the patient had to be intubated. That seems like a really messy process if the patient is vomiting and convulsing.

Reply to
mpm

Blimey it is almost as bad as eCat. If he is seeing anything at all it is contamination due to not using proper clean room and ultratrace handling techniques. IOW bad experimental technique.

Nobel laureates do go off the rails sometimes. Endorsing homeopathy really takes the biscuit. Nelson's pee is in water everywhere today. (so is Napoleons - but not as well mixed)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

in 1983 he disgraced Gallo by accidently sending a 'contaminated' sample to Gallo's crew. [wiki article] That should have raised some alarms. However, the premise is interesting. Weird, but interesting.

Reply to
RobertMacy

interesting, didn't know about the size. Doesn't large usually translate to fragile?

dilute bleach huh? That explains why the move to remove bleach from our stores. First take away guns, then take away antiseptic. What line of defense is left?

Reply to
RobertMacy

We've all breathed the same air that Caesar breathed.

Perhaps you've all breathed the air that I've breathed... heavens >:-} ...Jim Thompson

No more so than a house fly. Mosquitoes are not hypodermics. They may draw blood, but that blood is digested before they touch another human. They also aren't honey bees flitting from flower to flower spreading pollen.

People are infected by coming into contact with infected blood or bodily fluids. How would a mosquito bite carry any of that from one victim to the next? If so why wouldn't many other diseases be transmitted by mosquito?

Are you aware that Ebola is just one of a family of hemorrhagic diseases which can kill their hosts? Lassa fever, dengue, yellow fever, tick-borne encephalitis and a whole Hantavirus genus. All very nasty diseases.

The virus that causes Ebola can only live outside the body for a few hours... from a CNN article...

'Studies done in Ebola Treatment Units in Africa, CDC spokeswoman Abbigail Tumpey says, show the virus can live on surfaces for a few hours at most.

"Ebola is a vicious virus inside the body, but it dies very quickly on surfaces," she said. "It' s not a hardy virus. It's a very wimpy virus."

Ebola is easily destroyed outside of the body, experts say. UV light, heat and exposure to oxygen all deactivate the virus over time.

CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden said that while it's theoretically possible for someone to catch Ebola by touching a surface that an infected patient sneezed on, for example, past outbreaks have shown that direct contact with a patient's bodily fluids is the way the virus is spread.'

I would be more worried about many other things than Ebola, MRSA is a good one to start with. Actually diabetes is a much more likely killer or obesity. Ebola is getting all the news, but we already have several health crises in the US and no one pays much attention. There's not much you can do about Ebola other than sweat. A lot can be done about our other health problems.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yep. Wiping out all liberals would improve the health of the United States immensely >:-} ...Jim Thompson

...or farted.

Reply to
mpm

I copied the text into my browser without the .pdf and it worked just fine.

--

Rick
Reply to

I get my dogs to breath it first.

Reply to
John S

Stopping Ebola in Africa makes sense, but I'm VERY uncomfortable shipping GI's there. The Dallas nurse was double-gloving and wearing double-gowns and face mask for crying out loud, and the NBC reporter looked like an astronaut.

I just read the CDC infection prevention recs for medical personnel--those guys couldn't tie their own shoelaces. People are going to die if they're following those guidelines in Africa.

Oh, whew(!). It's going to be okay after all then.

:)

I'm actually not worried about Ebola in the U.S. at all right now, but it's nothing to mess with, that's for sure.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

They *are* dying. I heard this evening that the toll is over 4000 and it will be beyond the ability of the medical community's ability to fight it if it's not restrained by December 1 (if I can believe the news reports).

You don't live close to Dallas, do you?

Reply to
John S

It (in fact the whole family) is unusually big and stringlike for a virus. The original name virus came from non-filterable infective agent taking its Latin name from "poison". Tobacco mosaic virus the prototype.

BTW avoid handling plants with Latin names ending virosa... (unless you like living dangerously or really know what you are doing)

What are you talking about?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

NBC trained troops are possibly one of the few groups of personnel that you might be able to have work reliably in such a hostile environment. The high temperature and humidity will still be a problem for them.

Basically what we need to find is a chemical that is tolerated by humans but kills the virus on contact IOW a barrier cream against it.

Where are they? How would you improve on them?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown