OT Fun: Sleuth who did this schematic

Seeing Pimpom's, JL's, and others posts of hand-drawn schematics recently makes me finally get around to dumping this question on you:

Last January, I stayed at a B&B in Tucson, AZ. On the wall of the bathroom was this bit of "art":

Do any of you recognize it as being your work? Just a shot in the dark.

(The place and host were great, BTW.)

--
Silvar Beitel
Reply to

bringing up soldering isn't a bad pick-up line depending on the lady no joke

Reply to
bitrex

Not me, but cool, especially if the lady understands electronics...

Chri

Reply to
Chris

Cute, but not mine. I'm too old for one-night stands. :-)

Reply to
Pimpom

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Yeah, but telling here she's at best a class A-B, potentially unstable and hard of hearing isn't cool.

If she were a class A she'd be hot.

Obviously drawn by a very old bloke, or maybe someone from a backward country. I mean, who uses .22 rather than 220n?

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

It's not uncommon for schematics to have a note saying "All capacitances in microfarads unless noted."

Even Digikey doesn't seem to know about nanofarads.

And that amp better have a nice low offset voltage. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

What, are you in the grave?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

ly makes me finally get around to dumping this question on you:

room was this bit of "art":

.

No. She's an artist and art professor at UoA. She converted her large gar age into a studio and has artwork (not just hers) *everywhere*. This parti cular item was in the guest room bathroom, behind the door. Perhaps a subt le indication of what she thinks of engineers. :-) :-)

--
Silvar Beitel
Reply to

I think nF is quite common in europe, but every experienced engineer should know that the default is microfarads and what .22 means. It's consistent with 10u and more succinct, .22, rather than 220nF,

3 chars instead of 5...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I guess the next question is, do circuit diagrams shout :-). Whatever, but still quite creative...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I thought you guys used foot-pounds per square volt, not farads?

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Teaching myself electronics with very limited resources, practically all the (few) books I could lay my hands on (mostly hopelessly outdated) in the early days were of American origin. So I "grew up" with microfarads and picofarads only - often

was ? or M?.

When I first came across nF and fF in European literature, I was initially quite lost. Now I use whichever style is shorter for a given value.

Reply to
Pimpom

Oh! I thought it was about ammunition.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Ditto, in my case, reading the print off my dad's early copy of the arrl handbook. A mine of useful info back then including tube base connections and exotic photo quality ads from the likes of National and Jemes Millen.

Whenever I see nF, there's always a pause as I do the mental translation to uF. Old habits die hard...;

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I'm not a "gun lover" but I own a few guns and am a fair shot. For a long time, I wondered why gun calibers come in such odd numbers - .357, 5.56mm etc. Now, of course, you can find info on just about anything on the internet.

Reply to
Pimpom

ou:

le

ces

You can find info... If you want to know about gun calibers and the when a nd why, a friend of mine is a collector and researcher of military items in cluding guns. He had to sell his guns to enter a retirement community, but still has all his books and knowledge.

My friend is largely blind as well and one day I was reading an article to him about the ammunition used by a sniper. Seems just the details of somet hing seemingly as simple as ammunition is a highly complex function with ma ny trade offs. The part I liked was when they provided an equation with a coefficient that could only be found by measurements, i.e. a fudge factor. lol In the end the only way to be sure of the result is to make it, fire it and measure it.

When I see .22, I figure someone is talking about ammunition. If they were talking about electronics and wanted to be clear, they would not use a nak ed decimal point, it would be 0.22 and have the units marked. No one can b e so lazy as to just write .22 and expect others to understand for sure. U nless they were writing in pencil on wrinkled paper with food splatters. T hen it would be perfectly clear.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

The author knows where to get TCA0372s...

Reply to
bitrex

Being from the days of multiply-Xeroxed schematics, I never use leading decimal points. Thus it would be 0.22, except that I do use nanofarads. ;) For a 2200 pF cap I write '2n2'.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I still write kc and Mc for frequencies sometimes.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs