OT: Counterfeit Money

Let me put it this way...

I am a "night owl" sort of person with a day job. It is only habits refined by consequences of not making them good that make me get me out of bed, onto the job, with wallet, cellphone, house keys and vehicle keys and money in my trousers pockets.

It could be after lunchtime by the time I get to determine how much money I have on me, at a time when I depend on lack of errors earlier in the day in order to determine how much I should have gained or lost.

How much cash I have in my pockets on the way into my deayjob is a number that I do not determine on "autopilot".

Thankfully, my day job is *very accepting* of people who are not "morning persons". For one thing, they need me on an earlier shift earlier in the week, and on a later shift later in the week that is unpopular with people who are dating or who have spouses that like to go out on Friday and Saturday evenings. I trust them with my money, and they trust me with theirs. And they let me drink for free as many large mugfulls of coffee as I want, mixed with caffeine-enriched fountain soda as I find suitable.

Also thankfully, I usually commute to my day job primarily by bicycle (increases alertness) and secondarily by public transit, where my shortcoming at being a morning person will not cause a crash.

Don Klipstein

Dollars are simply more economical than quarters are. Weight, volume, every aspect except divisibility.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

Nearly ALL current vending machines that are not in some back woods gas station.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

They were slash ARE the same size and thickness as the current coin and work in the same vending machines, so what is the problem?

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

A great advantage of slide rules is that they prevent the presenting of calculation results to six decimal places, when the input data is good only to two places.

--
Virg Wall, P.E.
Reply to

Darn! That was my favorite thing to do with calculated results!

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

How about a roll of dimes?

Reply to
krw

part:

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:=20

area=20

have=20

=20

significant=20

-

dumping=20

Yep, i have gotten to the point where i prefer vendors with "penny buckets" at the cash register. There is often nickels and dimes in there as well and the more savvy merchants are using them to give pennyless change to the customer by taking a penny or three out of the "bucket".

Reply to
JosephKK

getting

rule.

I hear you. I remember using some algorithms to get 5 places out of a

10 inch slide rule but i found it no faster than direct pencil and paper. Then i got a book of 5/6 place log tables, beat both previous methods hollow for time.
Reply to
JosephKK

Use contact cement.

Michael A. Terrell

What a pussy. They barely smile at dollar bill losers. A five is like the minimum.

Could I ever tell a story about when my rich friend form Cinci visited about seven years ago, when my hair was down past my waistline.

Reply to
Kai

If you cannot easily see the size difference or the octagonal strike margin... Oh well.

I've never had a problem with delineation, and that extends to anyone I ever spent them on/to.

I buy my coffee every morning with a dollar coin and 2 quarters, OR 2 dollar coins and get change.

If I took my cup in, I could get it for .89. I should do that as it would save me some dollar coins. :-)

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

Albert Einstein said that anything one could look up in a table, one should not commit to memory, as it clutters the mind.

Even though I love and collect slide rules, I got and use a calculator because I did not want to clutter my mind any longer with slide rule operational practices. And that is a LOT quicker.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

[snip]

Yes and yes. Golden color and a smooth edge (tiny printing on the edge, but easily distinguished from ridged edges as on quarters).

Opinions stated herein are the sole property of the author. Standard
disclaimers apply. Celebrity voice impersonated. Batteries not included.
Limit one to a customer. Best if used by April 1, 2010. Refrigerate
after opening. Void if removed.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Same color and edge treatment as quarters. You can reach into your pocket and spend them as quarters inadvertently. Or get into a pissing match with a clerk that thinks they are quarters.

Windows Freedom Day: a holiday that moves each year, the date of which
 is calculated by adding up the total amount of time a typical person
 must spend restarting windows and then determining how many work weeks
 that would correspond to.                              -- Trygve Lode
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

[snip]

Dollar coins won't stay in dancer's g-strings. I'll be damned if I'm going to start stuffing fives in there.

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn\'t suck is probably the day
they start making vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

That is naughty. either the bucket is for charity or it isn't.

But why bother messing around with small change at all. Bank cards now have sufficiently strong encryption to do instant eCash even for tiny transactions. When the Euro zone switched from various local currencies to the Euro apart from putting all the border money changers out of business overnight it also triggered a switch to using cryptographic eCash. Belgium had a working eCash system called Proton more than a decade ago.

There was plenty of shiny new change in the tills, but in Belgium people found it just as easy to carry 50e on their bank card and pay with that. The handful of metallurgically defective early Euros are much sought after by collectors. eCash requires the card inserted for just a couple of seconds - no pin to type and the overhead charges are minimal so even the bakery would accept it for a loaf of bread.

It was reported in Europhobic Britain as "Europe stops spending" but what actually happened was that the amount of coin and notes needed in circulation decreased as people adopted eCash. UK has largely taken to chip & PIN for larger transactions too so it is just a small step from there to going to eCash. Most shops have card terminals now.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

In the UK, it isn't. Charity collections generally must use tamper-evident containers labelled with the identity and registration number of the charity.

It's understood that small-change trays are for the benefit of other customers, allowing them to avoid breaking a note for the sake of a few pence.

Reply to
Nobody

Then put it in the slot.

Reply to
Michael Robinson

Octagonal? Try 12 sided.

Q:  Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?
A:  To prevent the sensible ones from going home.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.