Re: the mystery of money

Is "In God we Trust" written on money representative of the separation between the church and a government?

From an atheist view: 'In God we Trust' = 'In Leprechauns we Trust' It's ridiculous.

'Outside of constitutional objections, President Theodore Roosevelt took issue with placing the motto on coinage as he considered it sacrilegious to put the name of God on money.[21]'

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

The mystery of god in the United States:

don

Does Canada print "In God we Trust" on Canadian currency?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

afaik...no..

Just real stuff like people and buildings. No fake stuff like a reference to a nebulous soul collecting all-powerful anthropomorphized super alien that nobody can see.

More Canadian money.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

[snip]

You insensitive clod! The Flying Spaghetti Monster is real! Real, I tell you !!!

"Nothing Important Happened Today"
        -- King George III, diary entry July 4, 1776
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Sensibly we don't have any of that rubbish on our funky polymer Aussie Dollars:

Nothing feels and smells better than a freshly minted Aussie polymer note! :-P

BTW, is it just me or are US greenbacks the ugliest currency going around?

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

This might be strange but I find US bills look like counterfeit money. (If that makes any sense.) :P The only currency I know of that's worse that US bills is monopoly money.

The Euro is beautiful.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

: : :Is "In God we Trust" written on money representative of the separation :between the church and a government? :

Well, perhaps it is an acceptance of the fact that if you can't trust the government, and you have to trust somebody, then God is a good bet.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Good bet ??!!

Trust is a skydaddy that only exists in the weak minds of the masses ?

That good bet ??

don

Reply to
don

Its kind of funny, that my whole life growing up with greenbacks and play money was many colored.

If the early days before the US, each state minted their own money. After the US became one, the constitution said only the fed would mint money.

Somewhere along the line, green became the color of money.

It will take a few years before I can see non-green as real money.

don

Reply to
don

Still better than govt

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Trust yourself more.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Not Skydaddy: The Mother of Everything.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

No, it's just you. ;-D

But seriously, do you mean the old, all-green ones, or the new Monopoly money?

You know, there would be no counterfeiting if we went back onto the gold standard, and actually spent gold! ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Are they really all that squished-looking? I mean the aspect ratio of the bill itself. Ours are about 6" by about 2 1/2".

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Thu, 07 May 2009 16:30:21 -0700, D from BC wrote: ...

Why such a sudden spew of such venom? Is your faith in atheism really that fragile?

I happen to know God is real because I can feel Her inside me.

I mean know in the same sense (knowing-wise; ignore the pain part) that when you hit your thumb with a hammer, you don't need to consult an instruction manual to find out the condition of your thumb! OW! That HURTS!

Of course, experiencing Her within me does the exact, diametrical opposite of hurt.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

You believe in a god who's a monster? Eeek! Not for me! We've already got enough of _them_. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

Compared to US notes, most currencies are that squished-looking. US notes are particularly stretched.

Reply to
Nobody

And we don't have any old buildings that are about to fall down ;-)

...Jim Thompson

             Buy a Fiarysler with your tax credit...
          Ignore that grinding noise, that is normal :-)

I get the same feeling every time I'm over there. I feel I'm getting cheated on every purchase!

Yes, the Euro is very nice indeed. Shame they haven't gone polymer though.