OT: bootable "slipstream" or similar

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 09:26:27 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Don't know what slipstreaming is then, eh?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 21:07:30 -0800, Robert Baer Gave us:

You do not know how to initiate a volume copy or clone session?

Thank you for being someone who needs his hand held, despite having the aptitude to learn and perform on your own.

Sheesh, it can't be that hard. Probably take all of five minutes to hunt up. Probably several app to do it... Wait! Did you not say that you had a Hirens repair CD? Jeez, those have hand hold text files in them.

Are you getting senile now too? A simple drive cloning is easy.

And here I thought I only cursed the assholes i the group to become senile. Some must have rubbed off on you.

And, the ENTIRE post was a guideline.

One step at a time.

Did you get a hard drive candidate yet?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 06:15:29 -0800, Robert Baer Gave us:

Use the apps that Knoppix uses.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You can slipstream any other drivers. But if the installation program can't get to the media itself, How are you going to insert the driver?

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Will take a look-see. Nominally SATA is not an option, as i think tat my PC will take only one, and that "slot" is occupied by the CD/DVD R?W drive. The negative of that is WHERE to put all of the damn things,plus will have to get removable hardware; yet another expense. The DVD disks cost nothing wrt those drives.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thank you for *NO* Linux instructions or guides.

Reply to
Robert Baer

This is te first time i have heard of that STUPID epa (they do not deserve caps) business.

All of your arguments are spot on.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Maybe, but whatever drivers exist are automatically installed via the motherboard sort CD. Seems everything from DOS to Win7 sees it, but Linus seems to ignore it or worse.

Still, what about the magic Linux commands to make a compressed ISO, and to unpack the ISO to a new drive?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks,but it seems i must start with a bootable CD. Isn't that putting the egg before the chicken?

Reply to
Robert Baer

** snipped stuff ** ** end snipping **

  • I have Clonezilla and have used it; works only if destination HD size is equal or larger than source. I also have Ultimate Boot CD, and prefer to use its version of Clonezilla (do not see thousands of error messages fly by at 200MPH).
  • Do not have any so-called repair disks.

  • I do that, yes, very easy (see above). May i Pete again (rePete)? I want at minimum, to make an ISO image of a HD partition onto a CD, ideally via UBCD because it boots independently of the HD and has the theoretical possibility of being able to do that. Naturally, i need to be able to do the inverse (ISO to HD, selecting where it formats/over-writes) making a new bootable HD where appropriate.
  • What do you mean, "hard drive candidate"? I have a number of spare HDs.
Reply to
Robert Baer

All i know about Knoppix is that is a name of some flavor of Linux, period. I would have to get it, somehow install it, learn how to use it (UG!), find out WHAT apps to use, find out HOW to use them, etc. Mount Everest is easier.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Pete and rePete: My SATA CD/DVD R/W drive is supported (ie HAS DRIVERS INSTALLED) for DOS and all versions of Windows up to and including Win7. I NEVER talked about some mythical installation program.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 21:46:49 -0800, Robert Baer Gave us:

Put one in a caddy, and make IT your precious "ISO" hard drive clone image.

Sheesh.

You have been told MANY times. A CD or DVD just wont do it.

What is this aversion you have against doing it right?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Exactly. Or, in my case, a *USB* SATA dock into which I can easily plug

*BARE* SATA drives -- why bother with a caddy?

And, a SHOEBOX to store all of the SATA drives for each of the ~dozen machines I have built, here.

Well, a *set* of CD's/DVDs can probably do it. But, then you aren't going to have a turnkey solution (with most of the current tools). Of course, that doesn't mean someone *knowledgeable* can't create that set of media *and* be able to restore it using OTS tools!

(sigh) Seems to have both feet *firmly* planted in the past. I could understand if he couldn't *afford* a new computer (new being anything built in the past 10 years). Though that doesn't automatically rule out moving forward *past* W2K.

Or, exploring other "free" options -- esp those with large user bases of folks WILLING to help!

"I've got a SPARCStation 2 running Solaris 6. Can someone tell me how to get Flash Player running using *Netscape* so I can see the cute videos of kitties chasing their tails?"

Reply to
Don Y

It is *NOT* called a "candidate", dummy. I have had ALL of my hard drives in removable HD kits since Win98SE.

  • I have *EASILY* put a copy (via drag and drop) of my new HD partition onto a DVD disk with space to spare; I had said that before! So your statement "A CD or DVD just wont do it" is *FALSE*. Stick THAT in your ear!
Reply to
Robert Baer

You've said it yourself: "Everest is easier" (see above) Yet, *apparently* (I have to take YOUR word on this as I haven't USED Everest to be qualified to comment on it) Everest *can't* do it!

Therefore, you will *have* to use AT LEAST *ONE* "different one" if you want to achieve the results you desire. (whether you

*choose* to use "30 different ones" is entirely your perogative!)

If you don't like the answers you're getting, ask a different question!

Reply to
Don Y

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 14:42:37 -0800, Robert Baer Gave us:

You cannot clone a HARD DRIVE with a DVD, idiot.

More reasons? The HD would remain mutable. And YES, that IS desirable.

An optical disc is a one shot thing. They also degrade, and die with age. The true HD, not even close to having a problem, even after ten times the life of a DVD.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:42:37 PM UTC-6, Robert Baer wrote: ...

What make and models of those do you use? Are there many competing brands of those? They go in a 6" wide bay and take 3.5" drives, right?

Reply to
Greegor

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 11:43:57 -0800 (PST), Greegor Gave us:

I have on the now rather old side, Antec MX-1s.

That was for the 3.5" form factor.

Their newer stuff is USB 3. They are up to like 'MX-25' or such.

For the 2.5" laptop drive form factor, I have everything from the cheap chinese stuff to recently, a plugs-into-everything HD adaptor (pretty cool), but the most recent enclosure buy was a couple months ago, and was a offhand choice, not researched... a Patriot Memory "Gauntlet 2" drive enclosure. Fast mamma jamma.

Just as easy to simply buy a USB expansion drive, already bottled up and ready to run. Seagate has a 1TB 2.5 inch USB 3 drive that pretty much screams... when it streams... (not real audible screaming)

Pretty cheap too, and if it fails, you simply send the whole thing back, and you'll see the replacement before yours is even received by them, typically.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:56:54 -0700, Don Y Gave us:

Probably not.

Compile A newer browser from source and install it.

Not the stuff out now, just the oldest that can do flash.