OT: bootable "slipstream" or similar

Just clone the drive to another drive

Reply to
TTman

I have created a new HD with Windows 2000 SP5 and all drivers needed to correctly run on my hardware. ((There is no other OS that allows support of my hardware*)) At present, it is a minimal "build",no browser,no AV, etc. and boots

*-=FAST=-* . I would like to make a CD/DVD that is bootable that will load this onto a HD, thereby making a *COPY* of this original HD. I looked at the "slipstream" process and found that it cannot "build" what i have: needs a number of DVD sources, many re-boots, custom installs of software and eXplicit "no" at critical points, install printer to file to fake mail registration, etc & etc. What about a bootable and self-restoring ISO or ZIP?

Helpful comments please.

Reply to
Robert Baer

ntfsclone or one of the wrappers thereof.

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

Used drives are cheap. Use them like dixie cups.

Reply to
Greegor

+42

I have a bare SATA drive for each of my hosts with incremental images taken as the system was created. I have a USB SATA cradle into which I "plug" whichever drive I need -- and tether it to the system I am trying to restore/rebuild.

These used to be 80G drives (adequate) but I've recently switched to 160's (take the same amount of physical space in the shoebox that I collect them in...

Reply to
Don Y

What !?!

If your going to clone a drive (C: -> D:) or (CD ROM -> c:)

your not going to boot into DOS or Win2k.

I have used Acronis True Image for years, but I am sure one of the open source clone programs will work.

But, back to boot into DOS or Win2k, why is that important.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

I DO have a number of hard drives, but not that many. Wish to have a number of versions: "raw" like now, "minimal support", and "full blown". Also, i am thinking that a bootable installable "backup" should work onto a smaller drive.

Reply to
Robert Baer

You won't fit anything (MS) other than a DOS system on a CD. (well, maybe some WfWG system). Even my W95, W98 & W2K images are ~8G.

You *may* fit a small Windows system on a SL DVD -- if you are *only* storing the disk image there (and the executable resides elsewhere

*or* is canned/inflexible). Any Windows system worth using will need a DL DVD. And, probably multiples!

Points of reference:

- the XP snapshot I took last night JUST AFTER INSTALLING XP (and none of it's "optional components") was just about 3.5G. I.e., *no* apps (unless all you want to do is play solitaire).

- adding service packs and taking another snapshot brings this up to 5G (still no "apps"!) Say "Goodbye" to a SL DVD!

- adding machine-specific drivers brings this to just under 6G

- adding the latest set of ~120 "required" updates (i.e., beyond SP3) brings it to just under 9GB. DL DVD is now impractical!

- updating C++/DirectX libraries, WMP & RDC brings it to 9.4G

- adding IE8 (plus its updates) & Office 2010 has it at 13.5G

- Office Updates brings it to 15.4G

And, I still haven't added an AV, PDF, or any *interesting* apps!

Silly to waste *hours* burning CD's/DVD's when a smallish "disposable" disk drive serves the purpose admirably!

Reply to
Don Y

My grandiose idea was to produce a bootable compressed image that would then expand the data onto a new HD, thereby making a clone/backup. But a compressed ISO will do, s long as i know what magic mumbo-jumbo is needed for the make and restore, where the UBCD is used. Operations need to be "outside", as the first HD versions will have little or no "fancy" programs (like WinZip, ISO stuff,graphics progs, etc); that means a bootable something (floppy, CD, DVD) with the magic program(s). And there is at least one *nix OS that lives on one floppy with space to spare.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks, will check it out (needs to be able to run either in DOS or Win2K).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hmm..maybe if i had eXplicit instructions, i could start by:

1) boot with the Ultimate Boot CD and possibly select Clonezilla. 2) use command line mode to more or less follow the scheme i found at:
"More or less follow" means i will most certainly need very eXplicit instructions. How to do full image of a given partition including boot info, and onto a CD/DVD in a SATA R/W drive that (so far) seems it be invisible/unaccessable to Clonezilla. Then, eXplicit instructions to restore image to new HD for boot and use EXACTLY like the original HD use.
Reply to
Robert Baer

No,in the aggregate,they are rather eXpensive. Buy ten of them to get maybe one good one ==> good one cost is then ten times what you paid. At minimum. Out of pocket cost escalates with shipping both ways.

Been there, done that. And it becomes pissy when NewEgg reneges on its "warrantee".

Reply to
Robert Baer

TEN Good used 80 GB SATA drives buy it now $90 shipping paid. Returns: 14 days money back or item exchange, buyer pays return shipping That's $9 per drive on a buy it now. (no auction) I've bought them for as low as $5 per drive through auctions. Cheap like dixie cups!

Reply to
Greegor

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:00:36 -0800, Robert Baer Gave us:

Easy. Kill the "onto a CD/DVD".

Put it "On a hard drive". Put that drive in a USB hard drive caddy. Get a USB 3 job, so when you use it on a new machine, it will be even faster.

Having issues? Make a boot CD and put things on that CD that start the hard drive clone process from the USB drive to the new machine's drive.

If there is already an OS on the target machine and you have a new bare drive in it you are trying to do this to, the USB drive makes it even easier. Starting with the smallest partition size you can make your "system" with will make it easier/faster too.

Easy, greasy, japaneezy.

Doing a drive clone from CD or DVD source stock? Not a wise idea. Find an old drive and use it. Buy a new one. They are dirt cheap. Drive cloning is best done WITH a *real* drive.

Problem solved.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:06:03 -0800, Robert Baer Gave us:

He didn't mean use a used drive in the target machine. He meant that you should use a drive to do the job.

Worried? Buy a few. Make them all the same. If one dies, mark a big red X on it, and whip out his little brother. Keep stepping off the job march. Sheesh.

They are like "Tiddlywinks".

And hell... *new* drives are cheap too. Buy a nice one. Clone your current onto it, and use your current drive to do the task. You know... the one you are currently "trusting".

Dude... you are paranoid.

Do you have a history of making failed hard drive claims with their makers? Or with the stores you get them from?

I have had all of two in decades, and WD sent me a new drive before they even got the old one back.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Well, i just did a copy from the new HD to a DVD disk and it took roughly 2.2G and that included all the required drivers, SP4 update and the final rollup which makes it SP5. So, if someone could give me the Linux mumbo-jumbo to ISO (compressed) the HD, and the Linux mumbo-jumbo to restore fromthe ISO to another HD, i would be appreciative. Remember, as far as i could tell, my R/W DVD SATA drive sees to be invisible; i have no way to determine what is or is not happening.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Ntfsclone is unusable; "XP or newer".

Reply to
Robert Baer

I had good luck with "tested good" drives with 14 day return priviledges when I got my last batch over a year ago. I tested every one within a few days. At $5 each I'd have to get three bad ones before I would bother to complain and ship them back. With $9 drives I would have to get two bad ones before I would bother with a complaint and shipping. After I clone a system to one and test it by booting it on the primary SATA port I label it as to what flavor or level of install it is when I put it away. For a MASTER drive for system image cloning, empty unused space doesn't really help. Since I clone only a boot partition onto a partition on larger drives, a MASTER can be a nice way to use old 20 GB drives that are worth even less. The other partitions of the large drives I just file copy using XP. I haven't really gotten into slip streaming, but I did play with a utility to make a 2 GB flash drive work just like a factory restore CD to install Windows. It works fine but the reason I mention it is that such a "restore" flash drive looks like it would be the IDEAL way to "slip stream" now. If you don't upset how Windows works during a restore, you can add or remove files from the "restore" flash drive. But with used drives so cheap I haven't felt much pressure to actually get into slip streaming. I see that "off lease" Dell fleet computers with Win7 and COA are readily available for around $200 each. I wanted to get some with larger power supplies and I noticed a chart that certain models came with smaller power supplies with an "EPA" column header. Is the US Environmental Pollution Agency telling Dell that they can't build machines with power supplies big enough to support expansion?? I had never seen an "EPA" column on a computer system spec chart before. Does power supply overcapacity in a computer system actually waste power? Even if the overcapacity is not USED (yet)? Wouldn't a LACK of overcapacity result in more power supplies going in the landfill when they have to be upgraded for an expansion? Has anybody else run into this "EPA" column in regard to computer power supplies sold in systems? Please tell me it has some other meaning!

Reply to
Greegor

Normally, Windows before XP, including some version of XP, does not support SATA HD or CD/DVD by default. You need drivers.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

mkisofs

Reply to