creating bootable solid state disks

What is the simplest way to build a bootable system onto a newly formatted solid state disk on a different device than the one the system was booted from? Say I have just built my kernel under a plain RedHat distro on /dev/hda and want to make a bootable Disk On Module temporarily connected on any different atapi port (say /dev/hdc). The destination disk was already partitioned and formatted and basic system files and directories were also copied. Once created the disk will be moved and booted again as the first primary (hda). I've tried multiple times different lilo configurations, but never managed to boot the destination disk. The Linux From Scratch manual didn't help much.

Any info will be appreciated. Tankyou.

Reply to
cct

The problem with LILO is that it does not really distinguish between install-time and boot-time device. You may have better luck with GRUB

or ROLO (ftp://ftp.sysgo.de/pub/elinos/rolo)

Rob

--
Robert Kaiser                     email: rkaiser AT sysgo DOT de
SYSGO AG                          http://www.elinos.com

Check out the LILO mini howto. You can get it from

Paul Taylor

When you run lilo, it will write the BIOS device number into the boot sector. (In your case it would write 0x82 for hdc). There is a mapping command in lilo that allow you to remap hdc=0x80 Include this at the beginning of lilo.conf disk=/dev/hdc bios=0x80 disk=/dev/hda bios=0x81

That way lilo will write 0x80 (which is what you want since you want to boot it up as the primary IDE master).

Reply to
Manoj Apte