OT: About chairs

for 'shit stuff'.

not even that expensive.

Hmm, "Imperial physicist" sounds like something from the DOE but "getting wiggly" surely implicates DHS.

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Sat, 18 Aug 2012 17:37:11 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

'shit stuff'.

even that expensive.

hey, I was shopping at 'Overtoom', where they deliver before you put down the phone. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 18 Aug 2012 17:36:09 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

How about these?

No wheels, but feet, no shootin gaway of the chair!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I thought physicists were measured in stones?

Note that there are office chairs for "big and tall" people that might be more suitable for such physicists. For example:

Seat belts, roll bars, and air bags are optional.

Wow. I found a suitable drafting chair for the workbench:

I want one.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On a sunny day (Sat, 18 Aug 2012 12:00:08 -0700) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Taking about g forces and ejection stools, been writing drivers for the MPU6050 acellerometer module from ebay.

The module works now.

The hole in the ceiling needed for the ejection seat makes that choice a bit problematic here. If you go that way I recommned you also get a helmet in matching design :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

After the last .com bust, the local charities stopped accepting office furniture. And foosball tables. I'm expecting that situation again soon.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Proper office chairs are not supposed to shoot away! The wheels should have a braking mechanism which prevents te chair from rolling no more than a few centimeters. Do yourself a favor and look for a shop which offers used furniture and get a real office chair.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Brakes? I don't believe I've ever seen a chair that will only roll a few centimeters. Wheels should be matched to the flooring, however. What works on carpet is not safe for vinyl flooring and verse visa.

Reply to
krw

Most likely, but a 1yr warrantee and reasonable price for a decent office chair is worth it. Note, it is an air-cylinder type, so expect that ball seal to wear thus the chair to give you a SSSinking feeling. If you do not adjust it 5-10 times a day, but (say) only once per day or less, it should last beyond the warrantee.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Sand leaks out and is too "obvious" as it makes the envelope too fat. Instead, use sheets of metal cut to fit to add maybe 8oz; i heard that too much weight will allow them to reject it and not pay postage. But if it weighs less than that (unknown) limit, they pay dearly - well over a dollar. Make sure your name and address is on a sheet wrapped around the metal, saying also "NO" or "NO JUNK MAIL". Eventually the word gets to the bean counters..

Reply to
Robert Baer

More of the same:

Never mind conventional seating for conventional minds. These are for rocket assisted power thinkers.

acellerometer module from ebay.

Link expired. Here's the replacement:

Hmmm... 1/3 the cost of the original board:

That's what they always say just before the customer finds the first bug.

problematic here.

Well, if you're using the module as part of an inertial guidance system, you must obviously be building a guided missile. Might as well cut the holes in the ceiling and roof now, as you'll need it for both the ejection seat and the missile launch. If anyone asks, tell them you're building a "sun tunnel" skylight.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

OSHA (USA) made Microdyne replace the few they still had last millennium, stating that they fell over if a wheel broke. Rather than replace about 30%, the production floor got all new chairs. That was cheaper than dealing with the assemblers bitching, 'Why did SHE get a new chair, and I didn't?'

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have several of those with worn out hardware. You have to spin one up every few days, and the other is no longer adjustable with a pair of

24" pipe wrenches. I have had one Pneumatic chair fail in 25 years.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

'shit stuff'.

Some of those folding chairs are only raded for 100 pounds, and are intended for use by children. Not that people pay attention to the labels. Then they break chair after chair.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

These are made with heavy aluminum frames. I've been in the factory.

Michael A. Terrell

On a sunny day (Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:28:53 -0400) it happened "Michael A. Terrell" wrote in :

Do they keep alligators there?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The old all steel Lyon bench stools lasted for years. Mine are over

50 years old.

I bought mine used in '75 from a surplus dealer (Mendelson's) in Dayton, Ohio who had just bought the old NCR mechanical cash register factories. I had some padded seat covers made, and one has an adjustable back. I've logged thousands of hours on those, over the decades. I've used them for sawhorses, ladders and other things that would destroy most chairs.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

This is similar, with a tool tray.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Where is the fun in that? I had a jerk US Army Lt. in my way one night at a military TV station. I had told him to get out of the control room before he got hurt. I told him several times, but he wouldn't listen. I was about to call and have him arrested for tresspass in a controled area when projector failed to start. The heavy old '50s style office chair started to roll backwards as I jumped up. It would normally roll to a couple feet from the relay racks on the other side of the room, and out of my way. The large knob on the back hit him in the balls, and he let out a sharp gasp, then he took step in the wrong direction. I ran into him and sent him sliding across the floor, as I jumped over him to get to the projector. I had it running in under two seconds from the failure, but it took him much longer to recover. When his breathing finally slowed down he said, "Nice reflexes, soldier!" He sat on a stool in the corner after that. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No need in Central Florida, since we let them roam free to help control the excess tourist problem. It's fun to see them ignore the signs warning them that the gators are dangerous. They also like to eat annoying little dogs.

We used to use monkeys, but it was a lot of work to clean up after them. They were descendants of the ones used in the Tarzan movies.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell