OT: About chairs

'shit stuff'.

Poor chair, did not know what it was getting itself satonby^H^H^H^H^H^H^H into.

Poor chair.

Reply to
hamilton

'shit stuff'.

Doesn't matter.

The swopper supports a few hundred pounds. And it is merely a single pedestal.

Reply to
SoothSayer

My palatial office is furnished with nothing but the finest furniture. Most of the chairs came from a bankrupcy auction. I think I stole the drafting chairs from a former employer. I found one of my office desk chairs by the side of the road with a "free" sign. 10 minutes with a steam cleaner plus 3 days in the sun to dry out, and it was as good as new. My other chair came from my rental, abandoned by a former tenants. Total cost, zero.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I bet they last longer than any chair you can by at any price..

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:34:11 -0700) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Here in Europe suing is not normally the first option (until now).. There are some large consumer organizations, and I once was a member of one (Consumentenbond), until they gave a 100% wrong legal advice (without doing some research first). So I decided it was not worth the subscription money to stay with them. Anyways shops advertise a lot with 'best in test' sort of thing, referring to their tests.. And then I found that their test lack anyways. :-)

Yes, but sometimes things are recalled that you really have to be an idiot to mis-use enough for it to be dangerous. Sometimes things are fixed for financial reasons that do not really fix things and endanger lives, the Toyota engine controller software bug was fixed by replacing floor mats? Too bad the paper of their internal test leaked to the media. So YMMV.

Well, as last option, is not that the Japanese way? sit on the ground :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:52:52 -0700) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

? 12 month guarantee?

I may drive over there and test one, feet are plastic I think.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 17 Aug 2012 06:08:11 +1000) it happened "David Eather" wrote in :

From my memory of schools that would not be a good idea... But indestructable, yes.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Aug 2012 16:53:49 -0500) it happened John Fields wrote in :

Cool, this gave me a new search criterium, drafting chairs = 'teken stoelen' in Dutch, and I found a lot of simple good stuff. Thanks.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

As I understand it, most of Europe has "loser pays" laws, which requires the loser of a civil suit to pay both parties legal expenses. In the US, both parties pay their own expenses, making it profitable for the attorneys to sue for any random reason, and making it possible to win and still lose money.

Collecting product liability litigation anecdotes was at one time a hobby of mine. The numerous horror stories are truly disgusting.

In my limited experience, bad legal advice is rarely a sign of haste or incompetence, but rather reflects a hidden agenda. I suggest you follow the money trail from this organization and you'll surely find the reason for the bad advice.

In the US, we have Consumer Reports:

They do a tolerable job of condensing their testing so that it can be understood by the lowest form of life that might read their magazine. Some useful information can be extracted from the reports, but it will rarely declare some product to be totally useless or defective. I've seen products that were in the middle of a safety recall, declared to be acceptable. Such groups start out protecting the consumer, and end up protecting the manufacturers. I don't subscribe.

Incidentally, in a previous life, I designed marine radios. Consumer reports did a review of several marine radios. Two the radios were internally identical, were manufactured by same company, but had different external cosmetic parts. One of these received a favorable review. The other radio (my employers) received a lousy review. So much for objective testing.

mis-use

The damage caused by one idiot is equal to thousands of satisfied customers. You have only to read the warning labels on many products to find the amazingly creative way many people will misuse a product. The settlement of a product liability suit usually involves the manufacturer adding the specific circumstances of the suit to the warning label.

While most of these seem humorous, many of them are on the warning label because of litigation.

I had a similar problem in my 2001 Subaru Forester. The clutch pedal was occasionally sticking. Not all the time, but enough that I barely avoided several accidents. I consider myself fairly mechanically astute, but it took me months before I discovered the interference between the floor mat and the clutch pedal. Adjusting the clutch pedal upwards and shaving the edge off the rather thick floor mat solved the problem.

When I showed the problem and my solution to the local Subaru dealer, they immediately went into panic mode. It seems that there had been some accidents which they believed was motivated by the Toyota stuck accelerator story. When I showed them that it was real, they panicked. I'm not sure what happened beyond that point, but I did get another set of much thinner floor mats and some useful parts and pieces for free (probably to make me go away).

Oh, my aching back.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann
[snip]
[snip]

I used to be an annual contributor ($100) to the Consumers Union Foundation. Then they came out supporting ObamaCare.

I cancelled my subscription and my annual contribution, sending them a letter asking why they did that. They didn't respond.

They keep sending me renewal requests. When I can spare the time I stick their postage-paid envelope onto a box filled with sand ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Hey, I've got Windsor chairs with at least 50 years on 'em, no sign of deterioration. You want chairs that last, all you have to do is buy the kind that show up in antique stores...

It's not easy, actually; Windsor chairs, for instance, used to be available from Ethan Allen, but they require working green wood for best results. Today's Ethan Allen catalog doesn't have those models.

Reply to
whit3rd

Hobbs

short for 'shit stuff'.

$100

when

in

are not even that expensive.

heavy

Well that is not an extremely hard test. How about two large physicists getting wiggly. That would show dynamic stability as well.

?;-)

Reply to
josephkk

for 'shit stuff'.

Gives a whole new meaning to folding chair.

SCNR

?;-)

Reply to
josephkk

for 'shit stuff'.

Reminds me of one camping trip I was on. A friend had just bought one of the Chinese folding stools that have a band of camouflage cloth for the actual seat. Made of thinwall tubing, the first time he sat on it, the stool buckled and his butt soon went all the way down to the ground. He was in good shape, no belly -- I would say he weighed 180.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

for 'shit stuff'.

not even that expensive.

Our large physicist is metric,-- One MLPTM is about 2.2 x the mass of an Imperial physicist.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

for 'shit stuff'.

not even that expensive.

Did you try the Supplemental Fluidic Overstress Margin test?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

short for 'shit stuff'.

not even that expensive.

You should try making a Foucault pendulum out of him and see if the equivalence principle is units-invariant. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I always buy second hand office grade chairs on castors. I sit almost all day long so its very important for me to have a really good chair. Such a chair usually sets me back around ? 100 but the new price usually is a multitude of that amount.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

'shit stuff'.

even that expensive.

Over here we know Staples as Office Centre.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Camping... my parents used to have these small camping chairs. The only problem was that the designer got the balance all wrong. If you sat on one and pulled your legs in you'd fall backwards.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel