OT: About chairs

About chairs In the weekend I killed an other chair, it simply folded under me, could have broken my wrist, caught the fall with it.

Anyways I kill chairs all the time I guess by moving around, sitting on the tip etc. Anybody has a good reliable brand chair for soldering work? I want no arm rests (just gets in the way), but it really should stay in one piece for a few years if possible.

Prices seem to vary from 5$ to 1500$ or more here, for chairs, many advertised as 'not for 24/7 use'. Well???

12/7???

Or maybe I should look at this as a throw-away item, go for a 25 $ one, it is just that those seem to be dangerous.

Please do not reply to this posting, you have all been kill filed:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

PS this one was 5 Euro from 'gamma', I call that shop 'gammel', the Dutch word for 'not so stable', or short for 'shit stuff'.

Jan Panteltje

Buy a swopper.

Flexibles do not break:)

Tobias

'shit stuff'.

Reply to
Tobias Kahre

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:03:00 +0200) it happened Tobias Kahre wrote in :

Looks OK, but a bit pricy here:

About 585 Euro...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

'shit stuff'.

For 5 Euros, I'm surprised it had 4 legs.

Reply to
JW

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Aug 2012 06:25:06 -0400) it happened JW wrote in :

'shit stuff'.

5 Euros is good for 5 legs :-)
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

'shit stuff'.

Your problem is that your chair budget appears to only be one euro per leg. Even small dogs can break such a chair.

If it really is the numbers you gave, then don't cry about the 585 euro chair you were given as a recommendation.

Reply to
SoothSayer

'shit stuff'.

I use a pneumatic adjustable 5-wheel lab chair that I got for about $100 at Staples.

Works great--I can adjust it up when I use the Mantis, and down when bifocals are enough. (I have the original Mantis, which is longer in the body than the little one that JL uses. That's okay, I'm a bit longer in the body than he is, too.) ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've got a adjustable 'stool' type thing. I can keep some weight on my legs and not all on my (rather small) derriere (kind of a gluteus minimums).

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It doesn't matter how much you pay for chairs, they will break in a few years. Metal tears, fasteners pull out, bushings fail, padding splits.

But refrigerators last and last. That's counter-intuitive.

What posting?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Aug 2012 09:37:52 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

'shit stuff'.

Yes 5 wheels sound like a good system. We have no 'Staples' here, but I have seen some on the internet that are not even that expensive. Thanks.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

'shit stuff'.

That's because your system doesn't allow for Romneys.

I don't know if you have office equipment stores or better, used office equipment stores but they're in every decent sized city here. They sell "professional grade" office furniture for about what the home stuff sells for. Such a chair will last a home user a lifetime.

Reply to
krw

A chair with wheels will make it difficult to put all your mass on one leg, or produce unusual loads. Any small diameter tubing, with a hole drilled through it for a hinge, is going to provide a stress riser at the hole. I suggest non-folding welded construction as a better design.

No. I have two chairs. One is a very low "medical office stool" which brings the bench top to nose height, my favorite soldering position. Something like this:

The other is a much higher antique "drafting stool", so that I can comfortably see the pile of test equipment on the bench. Something like this:

Both were purchased used at several possible thrift shops or garage sales. Actually, all of the furniture in my house and office were either stolen from the parents home, or purchased used.

Mine are at least 25 years old. Again, look at the construction for mechanical design defects. If it looks like it will fall apart, it will eventually fall apart.

That means you're not expected to sleep in the chair.

If it was made in China, it's automatically a throw away. It's almost impossible to purchase anything of quality these days as everything seems to be cheaply made in China. That's why much of my furniture is old, heavy, solid, and difficult to break. Usually the old stuff has upholstery problems. Some foam, heavy cloth, a staple gun, and maybe some hog rings, will solve that problem.

Hint: Avoid chairs that help generate static electricity. A vinyl (PVC) seat cover, and cotton or wool pants are not a good combination when the humidity is low. Bring a neon lamp (NE-2) when shopping.

Huh?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

'shit stuff'.

I see no one asked the obvious question:

What is your weight ??

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

or 'shit stuff'.

Not surprising. The holes in the legs acted as stress concentrators and the tubing wasn't strong enough to withstand any weight shifting. A chair welded from solid rod might work better, although welds can be stress concentrators as well.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

I would suggest a section of tree trunk, wide enough to be stable as you gyrate, and high enough to be comfortable. No way could you break it, and no arm rests.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

for 'shit stuff'.

I just assumed 1/8 of a ton.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

'shit stuff'.

even that expensive.

These are pretty good.. ESD-safe and clean-room compatible. Nice back and the ring near the base gives a spot for the feet to rest.

Around the equivalent of EUR 350. They won't collapse even under heavy loads (field-tested using a large physicist).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ya, similar to my thoughts. Build a plywood and 2"x4" box and put a cushion on it. Make a slot big enough for your hand on the side to make it easy to pickup and move. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

'shit stuff'.

even that expensive.

We load-tested some Adirondack chairs (cost $20 each at Mountain Hardware, much assembly required) using a standard Large Physicist Test Mass, and they survived.