OT: About chairs

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:46:40 -0700) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

:-) Its a Jimmy

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:59:00 -0600) it happened hamilton wrote in :

'shit stuff'.

It only caused slight orbit changes.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:05:49 -0700 (PDT)) it happened spamtrap1888 wrote in :

Depends whats in the ton.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:01:38 -0700 (PDT)) it happened spamtrap1888 wrote in :

So, drilling a hole in the concrete, planting a tree, waiting for it to grow, its a multi-year project, needs lots of light too. Orange tree would come in handy, mangos? Apples? While it grows I mean :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:33:59 -0700) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Flintstones...

That one looks about right.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:38:20 -0700 (PDT)) it happened spamtrap1888 wrote in :

Probably full of termites..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:29:02 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

CHAIRS

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

for 'shit stuff'.

even that expensive.

LPTM. My very own acronym, kewl. (The view from those chairs was pretty nice too.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Pardon my french, but where the hell can you get a decent (generic office type) chair for under $50? Office type chairs, 5 wheels, MECHANICALLY adjustable height seem to last well over 10 years; the "fancy" air-piston types eventually degrade, becoming (to make a pun) HISStory.

Reply to
Robert Baer

'shit stuff'.

THAT is NOT an office chair, not even close - even in pristine condition is totally NOT SUITABLE for what you need; take them back for church meetings..

Reply to
Robert Baer

'shit stuff'.

UNO: "spring piston" sounds like it actually is an air piston, where the air acts like a "spring" (similar to the IKEA office chair design); they may last 2-5 years depending on the ball seal (the "adjusting" lever pushes the ball to lower the chair). DOSE: (aka sick) that spiral thinggie is a HAZARD!!!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Does not matter, their claims are in the same area as the audiophool sellers, and so "command" similar high prices.

Reply to
Robert Baer

'shit stuff'.

...only if one is a male..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Right, Joe. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Get one from a supplier of school chairs - or get one from a school which is updating it's stock. They last forever.

David Eather

'shit stuff'.

Those are fairly good chairs..until the ball seal fails. That ball seal allows airflow in the supporting piston to flow for adjusting, and will wear out. Not made to be repaired. That is why i emphasized a MECHANICALLY adjusted height: spiral thread on column, rotatable ring for adjusting; lasts at least 15 years with only problem of re-upholstering seat when vinyl craps out.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Some Americans prefer to sue when something goes wrong. Plenty found with Google under "collapsed chair litigation".

However, I suspect when the dust settles, the attorneys will get the bulk of the settlement and you might get a new chair.

You might also check if there are any recalls. Some similar folding chairs with the same problem:

(about 150 more)...

Maybe the stump chair isn't such a bad idea?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

$20 or $30 a year for a lab chair? Not a big worry.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

--
Throw-away isn't good unless you can somehow get back the $ you paid
initially and not have to pay for the takeaway.

Short of sitting on a recyclable treasure, I use drafting chairs
which, so far, last forever.
Reply to
John Fields

[snip]

I had a nice leather high-back where the shaft snapped off when I leaned back and tossed me on the (fortunately carpeted) floor.

I can't remember the brand name now (Hon, maybe), it's been so long ago, but the company showed up at my door the next morning with a new chair.

Right now I'm riding an Alera Mesh Mid-Back Swivel/Tilt Chair, ~$89 ...Jim Thompson