Mystery Part -- Si VN01?

I was digging through le junque bocs yesterday looking for a TO-92 MOSFET, and found a bag of what I dimly remember as being such.

But my memory is too dim, and I used a PN2222 with a base resistor instead.

So before I throw these out, can anyone recognize the part? If I know what it is I can mark the bag and have it as a resource. Otherwise I'll probably trash it.

It's a TO-92 package, has three lines printed:

Si VN01

8209

It's probably some horribly obsolete Siliconx thing that should never be used for design, but le junque bocs isn't for that -- it's there for slapping together some quick thing for an experiment when simulation won't do, or for a lab setup (yesterday it was an MC14013 flip-flop pretending to be a 2:1 gear reduction from an index pulse, but I forgot just how wimpy 4000 series CMOS is, so I needed an output driver).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

It isn't in my 1989 Siliconix Low Power Discretes book--the lowest number there is the VN10KM. But it'll be an N-channel VMOS device.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Win Hill, In 2008, responding to a question of mine, said that the VN01 is a Supertex device, ~500mA capability. ...Jim Thompson

Is the 'i' inside the 'S' or next to it? One site suggests that an 'S' with an 'i' next to it is actually Supertex, but I'm not sure how much I trust this.

This page of an old Siliconix data book shows several Supertex parts with numbers of the form VN010[4689]N[1-6]. The sixth digit is the voltage/10 (40 to 90 V) and the final digit varies with the case style (3 is TO-92).

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Hey... the VN01 is in AoE! Pages 122-123 in the 2nd edition. There is even a graph of Vgs vs Id: linear from 0.8 to 2 V at 1 nA to about

50 mA, and then rising quickly: about 3 V at 100 mA and 8 V at 1 A.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Yep. Win Hill is still lurking. I recently posted my TLP191B Spice model to the LTspice list, and Win responded that he liked it.... apparently he's used the part on occasion. ...Jim Thompson

Thanks guys. Bag is back with the transistor stash, with a note as to what the parts really are.

Maybe I'll actually use one before we can just get 3D printers that make circuit boards, complete with ICs.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Smirk... I want one of those. Will they do microprocessors as well ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

8051's, of course. And their example library will only have 741 op-amps.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Sure, at a writing rate of 1 transistor per minute. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Used many a 741 in my hybrid days at Dickson Electronics. Really not too bad of an OpAmp. Then there was the 709 :-( ...Jim Thompson

I can't imagine _anything_ needing as many as 20,000 transistors >:-} ...Jim Thompson

I don't think I've used a single 741 in a design that I've been paid for making -- not even in lab lashups.

The 741 does what it does, but it always seems that there's a better chip for the particular job that isn't a 741.

I do have some in a drawer. But then, I have some 1T4's in a drawer, too.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Well, considering that it's something like 45 years old, that isn't too surprising. I haven't used a 709 in that sort of time, either. ;-)

OK, same deal. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I'm still waiting for the next edition of AOE, wonder where he is on it.

Martin Riddle

Once upon a time... there was only 741's ...Jim Thompson

I've had no further response. ...Jim Thompson

The wiki page for AOE seems to be kept uptodate. From the eevblog forum post its probably in typesetting now. A spring

2014 release is expected. That was in Sept of 2013.

And then a follow up x chapter book a year later. I guess they want to get a book out soon.

Martin Riddle