Electronics Junque Yard in Sydney

For those interested in such things... I was in a "scrap metal" merchant place today and they had lots of electronics "junque". Literally tons of old computer gear (up to PII's), lots of big power supplies, some electronic components like boxes full of large 250V capacitors, reel components etc. Quite a few large racks and other hardware too. Lots of other old custom electronics and computer equipment too.

A good lot of it was nothing but scrap, but there seemed like some real gems if you dug around.

A lot of it sitting out in the open subject to weather too, so get in before any rain :->

The place is in Euston St Rydalmere, just off Victoria Rd, before entry to the new business park. No signs, just look for the open gate and a junk yard.

No prices on anything, but "5 bucks mate" seemed like the going rate for the small stuff.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Pity it's in Sydeney, I really miss places like Wolfe Metals down here in Melbourne that sold anything from multi-kilowatt broadcast band AM transmitters to 44 gallon drums of telecoms uniselectors down here in Melbourne. Anybody seen these sort of places around lately?

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Unbeliever

Pete's Bargain Centre in Maroondah Hwy Ringwood, near Oban Rd, is always worth a browse.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I reckon I might just have a look tomorrow. If he's open.

Reply to
dmm

Was that the place just near RMIT? I went there probably 15+ years ago to pick up some (perfectly working) 5.25" floppy drives for a mere $5 each. This was in the days when high density 5.25" drives were still in the process of gaining acceptance, so it was a useful acquisition. There was a lot of ex-Telecom equipment there too. I noticed some years ago that it had closed down.

Reply to
rowan194

Need a service manual for the Tek 464. Old faithfull is real crook this time. Can't bear to retire this box just yet !

simon

Reply to
soulamp

"rowan194" wrote

Was that the place just near RMIT? I went there probably 15+ years ago to pick up some (perfectly working) 5.25" floppy drives for a mere $5 each. This was in the days when high density 5.25" drives were still in the process of gaining acceptance, so it was a useful acquisition. There was a lot of ex-Telecom equipment there too. I noticed some years ago that it had closed down.

**** Probably HMR,used to be in Cardigan street,moved to Thomastown,and now located in West Heidleberg .They concentrate on PC recycling in a big way.

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith

I was there two hours ago, pity I didn't have longer to browse. If you've never been there, it's probably the closest thing in Melbourne to the junkyard that the Mythbusters crew frequent - fantastic.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Are there any Perthites there that are old enough (like me) to remember Andys in Murray Street? My first several trannies were from there, one or two of them even worked. And I got a couple of huge valves that never even got the filaments lit up. Memories

Reply to
bruce varley

I had a look on Saturday. They've certainly got a lot of stuff, but I didn't see much in the way of electronics. I spotted a large brass telescope with a nicely made brass and timber tripod for a couple of hundred bucks that I should have picked up, but the wife would have killed me.. 8-0 .. An electronic LED sign that didn't have a price on it, some old computers, and racks out the back in the rain. But there's also a LOT of hardware and other gear. If you're renovating your house there's some gear for that too. And boxes and boxes of pop rivets, some nice tool chests, etc...nice.

I'll have to go back when I have more time. Are there any more places like Pete's in Melbourne?

Reply to
dmm

No, true, though they had all the stuff sold them by Truscott when he "went consumer". I guess that's the opposite of groming feral, no?

I always wanted to get to a place in Coburg I heard about that had a lot of aviation stuff, but I don't remember the name or know whether it still exists or has moved/closed.

Clifford.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

"Clifford Heath" wrote

I always wanted to get to a place in Coburg I heard about that had a lot of aviation stuff, but I don't remember the name or know whether it still exists or has moved/closed.

Clifford.

***** Gone some years ago,the whole shebang was offered at the onsite auction.Collectors came from around the world for the enormous amount of "unobtainium" aircraft spares that were offered(there 3as even a complete gun turret from a Lancaster bomber IIRC). Brian Goldsmith.
Reply to
Brian Goldsmith

Hello Simon, I had a little look around the net for you. I found an 82 page operators manual. I know you want the service manual but if you don't already have the operators manual you can download it from here.

Scroll half way down the page to "Download Free Manuals" You have to register but it only takes a minute or two.

There is a 464 manual on CD listed here for $15 US

This is a long shot. Even thought the above site does not list a 464, send an email to Charles the site owner and ask if he has a 464 manual. He might not have listed it yet. You may get lucky, who knows! :-)

Here is a very good group to join for advise on repairing your scope.

Ask on that group about obtaining a manual also. Tell them about the problem with your scope.

Just for interest, what has gone wrong with your 464 scope?

Regards, John Crighton Hornsby

Reply to
John Crighton