Microwave Croaked

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:06:43 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

It is usually the HV diode. But at that age, it could be anything from that to the control circuits, etc. No tellin'

Reply to
JoeBloe

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:53:28 -0800, "Chuck Olson" Gave us:

Hahahaha.... a top posting twit AND a techno-tard all in one!

In other words... BULLSHIT!

Reply to
JoeBloe

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 23:33:46 GMT, Rich Grise Gave us:

I always knew you were the garbage picker type. Most of us lose that urge at 15.

Reply to
JoeBloe

Put the controls on the door (which is full-width like a fridge) and make them wireless. eg: display through a window, buttons switch inductively coupled circuits. leave the controls at the right side, just make the hinges and latch/handle user-reversable...

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

If Jim has money, it's because he made things that saved other people money and made their lives better, and there was some left over after the government took their share to sustain a nation that can tolerate and support even the likes of you. What have you done to pay for your personal thermodynamic processes? Because continually spouting crazy nonsense here certainly isn't it.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

That's bureaucracy for you - probably better not to tell them and just get on with it :-).

I took some convincing about the Sharp, but went to a catalog returns auction late last year and picked up two identical Sharp convection / microwaves in the boxes for 6 uk pounds. One had a display fault (nasty display drivers epoxied onto the pcb, thermal cycled every time it was switched on) and the other had accessories missing. So now have a new microwave and another in store with nearly a full set of spares + higher authority happy. Internal can is stainless, rather than steel I think, but the overall build quality isn't a patch on the original.

Tend to repair everything here - the idea of throw it away when it breaks really irritates, but much of modern consumer electronics is so cheap and nasty and labour charges so high that it's often more economic to just buy another if you can't fix it yourself...

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQuayle

Usually, a microwave's blown fuse isn't the problem, but rather a symptom of a problem. The fuse holders on these devices don't have enough spring pressure to make good contact with a 15A fuse running 12A over the long term. The poor contact resistance heats up the ends of the fuse cartridge, which lowers its effective amperage rating... it blows.

When you find a blown fuse in an otherwise good microwave, fix, or replace the fuse holder.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

I've bought the soap. I just know that when I use it I'm going to develop multiple puss producing things in my crotch.... :-( Haven't had those for a year, perhaps I'll just wash my feet and head.

It's not envy. Perhaps I got hold of the wrong end of the stick but it came across as Jim, who pretends to cook, trying to fix his microwave, being a skinflint but knowing how to nuke beans, being worried about his wife wanting to install some 'new fangled stuff', which he won't know how to use, which will let her produce 'nice' food instead.

I hate it when 'management' pulls shit like that........ and then goes and spends the rest of the budget on a jolly.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

"Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@doubleclick.net...

Hinge the door at the bottom........

DNA

Reply to
Genome

I will buy that, but don't bother making it wireless. The water/ice controls on a refrigerator door are wired, with the wire passing through the middle of a hinge, and then plug in to the frige.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

You could also double hinge it. move the handle to the other side. Latch on handle determines which side opens. Requires extra hinge plate, with wire passing through both sets of hinges.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

And I'm far closer to being a Libertarian than Richard is ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Actually, Daewoo make a microwave with a left hand door. The only company I know of, who do, but well worth knowing!. The problem of course, is that the safety interlock is part of the door latch, so making the door reversible, would probably not be practical to meet the safety legislation regarding microwaves.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Back in those days the seller was obligated to tell authorities to whom it was sold. So no dodging there.

I repair as well, even a $9.95 clock radio that we bought and found it had a faulty display right out of the box. Took 10mins to fix, less than the drive to the store for an exchange. Plus less gasoline :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

So... you accept that hinging the top might cause user problems.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

The local Home Depot is selling 600 watt microwave ovens for $19.95. How can they *do* that?

John

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:49:26 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

Lindows (now Linspire) (POS) sold $200 PCs. If that's what one would call them. At WalMart no less.

Reply to
JoeBloe

maybe

Not when there are flea markets around.

Reply to
Chuck Olson

For the "move up" do you do enough entertaining to justify double ovens? Otherwise, go with a combination microwave / convection oven.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

If a Chinese electronics worker can live on half a bowl of rice every other week, so can you. OR DIE!

Reply to
<tapwater