microwave

I turned an empty microwave on for about 30 seconds. What is the potential damage I have caused?

Reply to
Robert

you've wasted several micro-cents worth or electricity.

AIUI the first thing to overheat is the glass platter.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Extremely unlikely to have caused any damage.

Reply to
Clocky

** Potentially, it can cause arcing in the wave guide leading to the oven enclosure. Then a fuse blows.

However, most microwave ovens are immune from the effect, but makers still advise never to do it. I happen to own one that isn't immune, a Samsung MB245.

I cannot use it to thaw a frozen bottle of lemonade, or it arcs up.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Its highly likely that any food spatter on the dielectric window that covers the end of the waveguide will carbonise and evolve a lot of heat and start arcing.

I've never bought a microwave new - I won plenty with arcing dielectric window - I just remove that and throw it away.

If you do that; don't do the exploding egg trick - a chunk of egg landed in the waveguide and the overload killed the mains transformer.

Reply to
Ian Field

.97 cents for 1 or 2.57 for 5 mica cut to size replacement waveguide window material. It ain't mica, some kind of composite that works just as well. snagged a 900 watt unit last week tossed. Replace window - free microwave. Ebay also sell the stuff.

Reply to
Wayne Chirnside

Its not free if you have to buy a dielectric window.

The last one got retired because the bottom rusted through where a wonky dish scraped through the paint, it was still going strong - which made it a leakage hazard.

I'm willing the current microwave to turn its toes up because there's a rather nice LG grill combo waiting to take its place.

Reply to
Ian Field

Mine is a new Samsung ME73M.

What do you mean by 'arc up' ?

Reply to
Robert

en

ill

** A few seconds after the oven is switched on, a visible and audible arc s tarts up at the top of the wave guide - just behind the mica window. It qui ckly burns the paint in that area and the oven must be switched off immedia tely.

ing on my doorstep when Samsung refused to replace it under warranty.

Powering up a microwave with nothing inside is an everyday event in busy ca fes.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I did hear a loud sound as soon as I switched the oven on while empty, which is the first time I switched it on. I wouldn't be surprised if the oven is damaged from what I did.

It seems crazy that just having the oven for a few seconds could damage it.

Reply to
Robert

I did hear a loud sound as soon as I switched the oven on while empty, which is the first time I switched it on. I wouldn't be surprised if the oven is damaged from what I did.

It seems crazy that just having the oven for a few seconds could damage it.

Reply to
Robert

Yeah I know what you mean, though I do like Mythbusters (which is ending after

2016, by the way). Wikipedia says that Braiacs was shown on Go! in Australia, apparantly I decided not to watch it. If it's the one I'm thinking of (it might not be), it was a bit too hyped up for my tastes.

You'd think YouTube would be a good platform for more "substantial" material, but I've had limited luck finding it.

Have you seen "The Secret Life of Machines"? That's my favourite. I've wondered why he never did microwaves though.

__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#
Reply to
Computer Nerd Kev

It's main purpose seems to be to showcase science to teenagers. in the form of 30? minute packages of of "Don't try this at home".

+1 from me.
--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

I've only watched parts of an episode or two of mythbusters (usually until an ad break) and only by accident. I thought that, instead of just busting myths they were too muvch into 'the show'.

There is some good stuff but it does take some finding.

I hadn't seen it but have just started a torrent downloading [some of] the first season. I'll give it a look - thanks. :)

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

Meh.

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

>> That said if both you and Trevor watch it I might grab a few shows
>> from somewhere and check it out - I could likely put up with that
>> presentation style if I'm learning stuff.
>
> +1 from me.
Reply to
~misfit~

I haven't seen the 2015 episodes yet but they dropped Grant, Tori and Kari for those and they went back to the original format of just the two of them. I don't think it worked.

Wikipedia says that Braiacs was shown on Go! in Australia,

Yep, watched a few episodes but soon got annoyed at the presentation style which is all hype and noise but very little substance IMO.

Not seen that one, will take a look.

Reply to
Clocky

There are some short postscripts for the episodes to cover more recent developments on the host's website:

Reply to
Computer Nerd Kev

Thanks. As soon as I started watching episode one I was taken back 40 years. I remember watching all the episodes (in series one at least) in my 20s and wishing I had a job like Tims. I've downloaded all the shows made and will watch them - and check out that site. Thanks again. :)