Samsung Microwave & GE Microwave oven

I found the following thread using Google but found it difficult to reply so I copied the thread. It follows my message.

My GE microwave oven started acting up about 2 months ago. It has a Samsung microprocessor and this earlier thread seemed close. For seemingly no reason it would start emitting beeps every few seconds. I unplugged it, plugged it back in an it was okay. Then it stopped taking input from the keypad. Unplugging it didn't reset the microprocessor. I took it apart and after removing the circuit board and replacing it, then reassembling it, the oven worked okay for a few days. I thought it might be noise from a bug zapper, the noise having a slope so sharp it might have been mistaken for leaking rf. Wasn't it. I removed all the transistors and capacitors and they tested okay. Whenever I'd take it apart and reassemble it would work for a few days. I didn't want to peel off the keypad because I felt I couldn't return the peeled keypad without it looking pretty bad. I looked at replacement parts and ruled out buying parts. Finally I took the keypad off and exercised it bending it bending it back and forth on each axis. It peeled off nicely and I was surprised! When I returned it there was no visible evidence I had taken it off (but I was careful). The oven has been working flawlessly for weeks now. I suspect maybe I could have bumped into the keypad with something or possible just age, over 6 years old, but it's working perfectly. I'm happy.

Bill

All messages from thread Message 1 in thread From: snipped-for-privacy@bellatlantic.net ( snipped-for-privacy@bellatlantic.net) Subject: samsung microwave

View this article only Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair Date: 1997/07/22

I am looking for a place that sales Samsung microwave oven parts.

The part is a microwave oven door.

The model is Samsung MU3050W.

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction so that I can get cooking again.

Thanks

jlwing

snipped-for-privacy@bellatlantic.net

Search, Read, Post to Usenet Message 2 in thread From: Da Man ( snipped-for-privacy@sprint.ca) Subject: Samsung Microwave

View this article only Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair Date: 2000/04/24

I have a Samsung Microwave (Model #: MW6470W) that the digital control is malfunctioning on. The display Works fine when first powered up (displays all segments, then SIMPLY SAMSUNG. The clock can be set, and numbers can be entered. All functions seem to be normal until a function is entered (at ANY time) which will cause the microwave to turn on, or the start button, at that point the keyboard freezes (can't change size of proportions, restart it after the door switch was activated, or anything with the keyboard). Basically, the microwave's keyboard will not respond to the next input. The relays operate properly and the display will count down properly when in cook mode (provided that the door switch was closed and was not opened), it will stop if the door switch is activated and ask to "press start". The relay(s) will shut down properly. The Magnetron transformer relay will cycle on and off according to duty cycle. What does not happen is that once a button that will cause the microwave to enter a cook cycle is pushed, even with all power wires disconnected and direct power to the control board relay, the keyboard's input does nothing - no beep, no functions, no start up after the door switch was activated and shut it off. Start does nothing (display keeps cycling push start). The beeper will beep reminding that the cycle is over or to push start, just that the key board has no input. The only way to get the keyboard to work properly is to reset the microprocessor by turning the power off or resetting it with the reset pin on the microprocessor.

The Microwave was in a flood, even before the original box was opened. It is possible that the microwave was plugged in before it was fully dried out, as when I acquired it, there was still water inside of the keyboard stickers (which I removed and cleaned). The rest of the microwave works fine. I have never seen the display working properly.

Also note that I do not have the instruction manual, and there may be something simple that I may be missing, but I doubt that ;-)

Thanks in advance for any help in getting this thing to work, as it is in new condition (with a few exceptions!), along with a void warranty,

Jeff Message 3 in thread From: Jerry G. ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) Subject: Re: Samsung Microwave

View this article only Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair Date: 2000/04/23

By your description, this sounds like a fault on the microprocessor board. It can be any of the components in this area that is making it hang up. The most reliable and easiest fix is to change the complete board.

--

Jerry Greenberg

=========================================== Email: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Home Page:

Components:
Products:
Navigation:
Sci/Inst:
Personal:

Electronic Components, And Navigation Compasses

============ Message Separator ===============

"Da Man" wrote in message news:hWOM4.2700$ snipped-for-privacy@newscontent-01.sprint.ca...

I have a Samsung Microwave (Model #: MW6470W) that the digital control is malfunctioning on. The display Works fine when first powered up (displays all segments, then SIMPLY SAMSUNG. The clock can be set, and numbers can be entered. All functions seem to be normal until a function is entered (at ANY time) which will cause the microwave to turn on, or the start button, at that point the keyboard freezes (can't change size of proportions, restart it after the door switch was activated, or anything with the keyboard). Basically, the microwave's keyboard will not respond to the next input. The relays operate properly and the display will count down properly when in cook mode (provided that the door switch was closed and was not opened), it will stop if the door switch is activated and ask to "press start". The relay(s) will shut down properly. The Magnetron transformer relay will cycle Read the rest of this message... (43 more lines)

Message 4 in thread From: Sam Goldwasser ( snipped-for-privacy@stdavids.marconimed.com) Subject: Re: Samsung Microwave

View this article only Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair Date: 2000/04/24

A couple of easy checks would be of the power supply filter caps and for bad connections.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:

In article "Jerry G." writes:

By your description, this sounds like a fault on the microprocessor > board. It can be any of the components in this area that is making it > hang up. The most reliable and easiest fix is to change the complete > board.

"Da Man" wrote in message news:hWOM4.2700$ snipped-for-privacy@newscontent-01.sprint.ca...

I have a Samsung Microwave (Model #: MW6470W) that the digital control is malfunctioning on. The display Works fine when first powered up (displays all segments, then SIMPLY SAMSUNG. The clock can be set, and numbers can be entered. All functions seem to be normal until a function is entered (at ANY time) which will cause the microwave to turn on, or the start button, at that point the keyboard freezes (can't change size of proportions, restart it after the door switch was activated, or anything with the keyboard). Basically, the microwave's keyboard will not respond to the next input. The relays operate properly and the display will count down properly when in cook mode (provided that the door switch was closed and was not opened), it will stop if the door switch is activated and ask to "press start". The relay(s) will shut down properly. The Magnetron transformer relay will cycle on and off according to duty cycle. What does not happen is that once a button that will cause the microwave to enter a cook cycle is pushed, even with all power wires disconnected and direct power to the control board relay, the keyboard's input does nothing - no beep, no functions, no start up after the door switch was activated and shut it off. Start Read the rest of this message... (36 more lines)

Message 5 in thread From: Da Man ( snipped-for-privacy@sprint.ca) Subject: Re: Samsung Microwave

View this article only Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair Date: 2000/04/27

Thanks,

But I resoldered half the board in hopes of a bad connection already.

Jeff

writes:

> > By your description, this sounds like a fault on the microprocessor > > board. It can be any of the components in this area that is making it > > hang up. The most reliable and easiest fix is to change the complete > > board. > > "Da Man" wrote in message > news:hWOM4.2700$ snipped-for-privacy@newscontent-01.sprint.ca... > > I have a Samsung Microwave (Model #: MW6470W) that the digital control > is > malfunctioning on. The display Works fine when first powered up > (displays > all segments, then SIMPLY SAMSUNG. The clock can be set, and numbers > can > be entered. All functions seem to be normal until a function is > entered > (at ANY time) which will cause the microwave to turn on, or the start > button, at that point the keyboard freezes (can't change size of > proportions, restart it after the door switch was activated, or > anything > with the keyboard). Basically, the microwave's keyboard will not > respond > to the next input. The relays operate properly and the display will > count > down properly when in cook mode (provided that the door switch was > closed > and was not opened), it will stop if the door switch is activated and

Read the rest of this message... (50 more lines)

Message 6 in thread From: Da Man ( snipped-for-privacy@sprint.ca) Subject: Re: Samsung Microwave

View this article only Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair Date: 2000/04/27

Thanks,

But I was hoping that I could get around replacing that board, since I would think that it is expensive and may not be worth while :-( - sorta like having to replace a bad magnetron, being it's almost cheaper to buy a whole new microwave. Oh well, I will price a new one any way, or maybe I might get lucky and find another microwave with a good board.

The interesting thing is that the microprocessor does not freeze up - it just fails to respond to the keyboard. I find it hard to believe that the microprocessor lost some of it's programming or is damaged in one particular address, etc. Especially since every other feature works properly (unless it came from the factory that way!). I thought of a pulse/noise entering back through the circuitry from the relays cutting in, but the keyboard freezes before they click on.

I may just do some extensive component testing on it when I am really bored, since I don't care if reliability is a big issue because it is my microwave. I also noticed that there are some weird transistor setups driving mostly outputs on the board - probably about 10 to 12 of them that I may pop out and test individually

Jeff

By your description, this sounds like a fault on the microprocessor board. It can be any of the components in this area that is making it hang up. The most reliable and easiest fix is to change the complete board.

--

Jerry Greenberg

=========================================== Email: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Home Page:

Components:
Products:
Navigation:
Sci/Inst:
Personal:

Electronic Components, And Navigation Compasses Read the rest of this message... (75 more lines)

Message 7 in thread From: Bonita Lee Geniac ( snipped-for-privacy@wdl.net) Subject: Re: Samsung Microwave

View this article only Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair Date: 2000/04/27

Before you go any further, completely disconnect the keypad and locate the matrix diagram for the keypad functions. Then manually program the unit without the keypad by following the matrix. I have never seen a keypad that had been wet or one that someone took apart that would ever work properly again. It sounds much more like a keypad problem than a citcuit board problem. The keypads on recent models are high failure parts anyway.

Da Man wrote:

[...]

I also noticed that there are some weird transistor setups driving mostly > outputs on the board - probably about 10 to 12 of them that I may pop out > and test individually > > Jeff > > By your description, this sounds like a fault on the microprocessor > board. It can be any of the components in this area that is making it > hang up. The most reliable and easiest fix is to change the complete > board. > > -- > > Jerry Greenberg > > =========================================== > Email: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com > Home Page:
> Components:
> Products:
> Navigation:
> Sci/Inst:

Read the rest of this message... (69 more lines)

Message 8 in thread From: Da Man ( snipped-for-privacy@sprint.ca) Subject: Re: Samsung Microwave

View this article only Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair Date: 2000/05/01

Thanks everybody.

I found the problem - a diode that was going to the keyboard matrix decided to have a reverse voltage break down of 0.8 volts, fooling the computer, and causing the keypad to stop responding. It probably became shorted when the keypad was wet, from an increase in current, since the part of the matrix that the diode was supplying was for all the functions that cause the microwave to enter a cook mode.

P. S. if your very careful when peeling the keypad buttons back, and the sticky stuff does not peel off, then there may be a chance that will work fine afterwards - I had mine off 3 times and it works fine.

Thanks,

Jeff

"Bonita Lee Geniac" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@wdl.net...

Before you go any further, completely disconnect the keypad and locate the > matrix diagram for the keypad functions. Then manually program the unit

without

the keypad by following the matrix. I have never seen a keypad that had

been

wet or one that someone took apart that would ever work properly again. It > sounds much more like a keypad problem than a citcuit board problem. The

keypads

on recent models are high failure parts anyway. > > Da Man wrote: > > > Thanks, > > > > But I was hoping that I could get around replacing that board, since I

would

> think that it is expensive and may not be worth while :-( - sorta like > > having to replace a bad magnetron, being it's almost cheaper to buy a

whole

> new microwave. Oh well, I will price a new one any way, or maybe I might

get

> lucky and find another microwave with a good board. > > > > The interesting thing is that the microprocessor does not freeze up - it > > just fails to respond to the keyboard. I find it hard to believe that

the

> microprocessor lost some of it's programming or is damaged in one

Read the rest of this message... (108 more lines)

Message 9 in thread From: Trevor Mooney ( snipped-for-privacy@winshop.com.au) Subject: samsung microwave

View this article only Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair Date: 2002-05-04 06:26:07 PST

Hi, I have a prob with my Samsung MB245 microwave. some time a go when I plug it in it the touch pad locked up when I set the clock. Then a series of beeps started and wouldn't stop. Now after a long spell sitting in garage when I plug it in the whole display lights up but no response from touch pad. I have my suspicions but would like some Ideas before I toss it. Thanks Trevor

Reply to
Soyrunner

There may be a cold solder or cracked trace on the board. If it is a multi layered board, the fault may be between the layers. It is also possible that there is a defective part, in such a way that when it is disturbed it works for a while longer, and then fails again.

As for how they service these, the service centre will change the complete board to service these types of intermittent faults. There would be too much of a loss of time to try to service these at the component level, especially for intermittent faults.

--

Jerry G. ==========================

writes:

[...]

Da Man wrote:

would

whole

get

particular

it

bored,

microwave.

[...]

Jerry G.

It worked for maybe a month then I slammed the door and it stopped. Peeled it again, replaced it and it works. A new touchpad is something like $55 while a new microwave is near $80. Peeling and resticking is free.

What I found that's worked for over 2 months now is when I replaced the touchpad I offset upwards just a little. The top edge is not off just a little bit. It seems fine and works well. I no longer slam the door either.

that

works

much

especially

so

Samsung

and

the

keypad

It

been

into

out,

stickers

have

bad

it

complete

control

would

whole

get

particular

it

bored,

microwave.

It

the

(unless

back

freezes

mostly

out

decided

and

the

It

like

might

it

Reply to
William T. Johnston

I have a Samsung mw6470w microwave the problem with it is that it ha

stopped to heat.

One morning when operated it was doing everything but just not heatin the things.

Its working normally, all its functions are normal but its not jus heating.

it has worked very well all these years. No problem at all.....is i all over for it now?

Will it be cheaper to buy a new one....Will it worth repairing what i actually wrong with it?

I live in Surrey Canada

--
kinni420
Reply to

It could be as simple as a bad connection - or almost anything else.

Testing will be needed.

Given the cost of new microwave ovens, unless it is special in some way, may not be worth fixing.

However, you can't do anything about it yourself unless you are experieced in high voltage high power electronics. The inside of a microwave oven can be lethal.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser