Microwave Question

When heating up small amounts of cooked vegetables (i.e. 10-20 peas or

10-20 kernels of corn, small pieces of carrots, broccoli), I almost always notice "sparking" in the food after about 5 sec. And if I continue heating, it will actually produce flames usually in 10-13 seconds.

I have an 1100watt Emerson microwave. It seems to do about the same thing on all 10 power levels (although it may happen quicker on higher power levels). I have only noticed it with vegetables.

Is this occurring just because there is such a small amount of food being heated? Is it just getting so hot that it causes fire? When I take it out, it doesn't feel that hot. Could the microwave have something wrong with it?

Thanks, JBreits

Reply to
JBreits

You have powdered metal in your food? Tried adding water?

Add a separate cup of water - not to the food.

NSM

ya, could be hard water...have seen old iron pipes that run underground make the water hard because the rust gets into the water.

Reply to
Cobalt

make

And slamming 1100 W into 10 kernels of dry corn isn't going to work either!

NSM

my first thought is that is normal, I take it all is fine with a regular amount of ?

on side note, why you nuking 20 kernals of corn ?

Reply to
darren

When you say it does it on all 10 power levels, you are not seeing the operation from the right viewpoint. You cannot control the output power of a magnetron. It's either producing microwaves at full chat, or not at all. The power setting is controlled by interupting the amount of time that the mag is turned on for, so at 100% power, it's running all the time, at 50% power, it's only running for half the time and so on. You will probably have heard the transformer going KAWOMM as the mag cuts in and out.

This means that you are hitting those poor peas with 1100 watts of RF each time the mag cuts in. Even if you are down on 10% power and you set the timer for 1 minute, the 6 seconds that the mag would be on during that time ( probably three bursts of 2 seconds ), will probably be enough to make the poor peas explode ...

The cup of water is a sound idea, as it provides a better load for the magnetron. Very small quantities of food represent very little load, and this can lead to rapid demise of the mag.

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thank you for all the replies. I should clarify a little I guess. I have a one-year old that eats cooked veggies (only the small ones). I usually cook up enough to last a week and we put them in the fridge. When it comes time for her to eat we put a little in the microwave just to warm them up. This could be ~20 Kernels of corn and ~20 peas and a couple pieces of carrots. We don't usually heat up a whole bunch in case she is feeling like being a picky eater that day.

In response to other messages, we do have slightly hard water, but I see no sparking or anything when heating the tap water. The vegetables are boiled in a non-stick pan. Could that be a problem? Other things that I have cooked in the pan microwave fine.

Last night I tried putting a small bowl of water in with the food and there was no sparking or fire or anything. So perhaps it really is just the fact that there was a small amount of food.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks, JBreits

Reply to
JBreits

Absolutely.

It has nothing to do with hard water.

Probably, simply the fact that you have a very small amount of material that absorbs the microwaves creating a very high field strength in that area and that its dimensions are similar to a fraction of a wavelength at 2.45 GHz.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Hi...

May I offer a non-technical suggestion? :)

(I raised one of the world's most picky eaters)

How about doing up a reasonable helping of veggies - perhaps a half cup or so - and then having some with her? I found it helpful to join mine, each with our own plate, and as each of us had a "bite" I'd comment on mine. (smile, say "good", "ummm", "hurray" and so on.) Didn't take long before we were sort of taking turns, and each praising it)

And just another thought; with no disrespect intended. She may enjoy it more if she had them not previously cooked but rather micro'd from frozen. I'm old now, but still use the frozen in a bag ones. A half cup in a cereal bowl, add a tablespoon or two of water, then zap on high for 90 seconds is just right. (Of course I'd feel them first before offering them to a baby)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel