Jet streams could carry radioactivity from Japan to the US

the US.

Where they could also continue on to your nation and fall onto and into your house.

One could hope that 'some' actually make it.

Right past us and all over you.

You're not a news caster. Don't give up your day job. I'll keep current via other sources, thanks.

Reply to
FatBytestard

"Elevated levels?" How elevated? Last night on ABC news, of all places, they had a segment where some guy was standing in Central Park or whatever, and his Geiger-Muller counter was showing five millisieverts of background. He walked over to some granite and metal monument, and the level increased to about 10 or 15. he walked into Grand Central Station, and the meter pegged.

We need numbers here, not hysteria!

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

owards the US.

-b...

Yes, I heard it was equivalent to about 20 CAT scans. I've had about

  1. But every time they x-ray my teeth, they run for cover before pushing the button.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

ards the US.

The good thing (as if there is a good thing!) is that the atomic numbers of the nasty stuff are all high, which makes dispersal difficult. I'm sure whatever hits the US will be detectable, but the problem is we are damn good at detecting radioactivity.

Hopefully this fiasco will kill nuclear development in the US. Note we really do need to get the nuclear waste to a safe location such as Texas.

Reply to
miso

The sievert is a unit of dose, not rate. Radiation levels are measured in sieverts per unit time. Normal background radiation is single-digits millisieverts per year, or a few tenths of a microsievert per hour.

5mSv/year would be reasonable for background.

Fukushima had a spike of 400mSv/hr a couple of days ago. When it's not spiking, it's a few mSv/hr (the Japanese legal limit for nuclear industry workers is 100mSv/yr but that's just been raised to 250mSv/yr because most of the workers at Fukushima have already exceeded their 100mSv for this year).

Reply to
Nobody

the US.

I'm worried about radiation leaking upwards and making the sun radioactive. Then it would radiate everyone.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

the US.

Arizona, surely?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

towards the US.

"A medium sized banana contains about 450 g of Potassium. 0.0117%, or about 53 mg "

What gigantic bananas are they talking about???

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

If it gets as high as the black sand beaches they ought to worry

Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

On a sunny day (Thu, 17 Mar 2011 06:52:57 +0000) it happened Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote in :

towards the US.

2 retarts communicating? LOL :-) :-) :-)
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Mar 2011 22:29:35 -0700 (PDT)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com" wrote in :

In an other newsgruoup I wrote that more people are killed in coal mining every year then evenr heve been killed in nuclear power. Many were burned in gas fires caused by this earthquake, nobody demonstrates againts using gas. Get the perspective right. More radiaton, more mutations, maybe a exceptionally clever person will result, and we will all benefit. I mean we have enough zombies as is, one clever mutation can save them all. Was that not a movie some time ago? The guy is put to sleep for hundreds of years and awakes in a world where Americans have become cola drinking zombies.. he becomes president eventually, because he is the only one with an IQ above 10. Was a fun movie.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 17 Mar 2011 06:55:44 +0000) it happened Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote in :

The one from AlwaysWrong?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 17 Mar 2011 01:19:11 -0800) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

the US.

gm_pic is standalone (9V battery), but the probe is on a wire and interchangable.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

the US.

No "stand-alone"?

Reply to
Robert Baer

towards the US.

..in the Red Light district.

Reply to
Robert Baer

More people have been killed in Teddy Kennedy's car than by civilian nuclear power plants in the free world.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

How about that abandoned salt mine at 2000 feet depth in New Mexico where they've been dumping the stuff since the Manhattan Project?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Apparently people are missing that this reactor is a totally different design, with a viable containment system, as compared to Chernobyl, which had, for all intents and purposes, no containment system.

If this was an old Russian designed reactor, I'd panic too, but it is not.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

If we weren't so good a measuring low levels of almost everything, society would have a lot less to fear and we would be just as safe. We used to worry about parts per million, now it's parts per billion, won't be long and it will be parts per trillion. At that point all water will be contaminated and not fit for human consumption. And while I'm on the subject of, not fit for human consumption, please be aware of the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

This deal is three orders of magnitude less than the mess that was Chernobyl, minimum. Hell it could be even less than that.

We would see a quarter of a chest x-ray exposure.

That mess could still be gurgling. All they did essentially was cap it off in concrete after killing a huge number of men getting some of it doused and removed.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle