Japan S.Korea Feud

"One of those chemicals, known as photoresist, is critical for top-of-the-line products produced by Samsung Electronics, the giant South Korean maker of chips and gadgets, among others. Japan controls around 90 percent of the world's supply."

Japan and South Korea Feud, but Breaking Up Is Hard New York Times - August 28, 2019

mogulah

Wow, they know how to hit them where it hurts! Photoresist! Yikes!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

You gotta wonder how Japan got such a corner on that stuff. A lot like China has a lock on the rare-earths, I guess.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

Was that Japan or another country that had some special epoxie (whatever) that was the covering for IC memory chips way back in the 1 K per chip days ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

China doesn't have a lock on rare earths. The ores are available in many countries, including Australia. What China does more than anyone else does is *process* the ore, because the processes are incredibly polluting and they don't care about pissing in their own pool. If they ever tried to really restrict trade in rare earths you'd find plenty of countries ramping up their processing programs.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

supposedly also HF(acid). arirang TV has been reporting on it..

Reply to
Johann Klammer

Vile stuff.

Cursitor Doom

They should have traveled to Philly:

[news story]

Toxic chemical at PES refinery mostly cleared, aiding probe of June blaze .... About 340,000 pounds of hydrofluoric acid (HF) stored at Philadelphia Energy Solutions' refinery was chemically neutralized ======

		     dannyb@panix.com
danny burstein

idUSKCN1VK24U

"HF can burn the skin"

ROTFLMFAO! :-D

Cursitor Doom

Yeah, I love how some stuff is understated. Like when all those lithium batteries in laptops were catching on fire. I read a report where the burning batteries were described as "venting with flame".

Reply to
etpm

The batteries, or the Usenet trolls? :)

Reply to