Hi, why transitors have 3 legs?

nce :-)

en what it does is going to upset some non-politicians. It's just that poli= ticians seem to be able to ignore their consciences from time to time.

A conscience just tells you the difference between right and wrong. Your mo= rality determines whether you will do the right thing or something that isn= 't entirely morally correct but is perhaps more expedient or looks better u= nder the of superficial inspection administered by the media.

--=20 Bill Sloman, Nijmegen=20

Reply to
Bill Sloman

None that right-wing nitwits can see. Their perceptions are depressingly one-dimen

Right-wing nitwits do have trouble in perceiving subtle ideas. If they don't understand what's going on, they think that the fault is in the stuff they can't understand, rather than in their perception.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

No it isn´t.

This transistor (AF114) is equipped with protective grounded helmet ;-) That is pretty well grounded!

AF114 has 4 inline asymmetrical legs:

Even though they are grounded, some of them contracted some Whisky disease:

Here is a close up of one of the aliens threadening grounding:

The cousins of AF114 are AF115...AF118 - so beware!

-

Here they are selling AF114 for £0. But they are not telling about the threadening grounded aliens inside? ;-) :

Glenn

The transistors AF139, AF239, AF239S also has protective grounded helmet

- with four legs layed out in a squire - but no Whiskey inside...

:o)

Reply to
Glenn

On a sunny day (Sat, 30 Jun 2012 09:52:40 +0200) it happened Glenn wrote in :

AF118 was used in Philips Vidicon camera preamp IIRC. I have played with those, never seen anything like this. Amazing, those tin whiskers.

Do those whiskers only form at certain temperatures?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

--
Not being able to sense, say, infrared doesn't mean it's not there. ;)
Reply to

On 30/06/12 11.30, Jan Panteltje wrote: ...

-

Note that AF118 is not mentioned (not whiskers prone...). It was an error to mention it.

-

I do not know. Apparently the transistor do not need to have been in service. Please read more here:

Transistor Faults, Testing and Replacement:

Quote: "... Early germanium transistors are less reliable, although this should not be regarded as a criticism since the sets were probably only expected to last five years or so, and nobody expected collectors to be repairing them forty years later. ... The type numbers include AF114, AF115, AF116, AF117, OC170 and OC171. They tend to develop internal short-circuits between the can and either the collector or emitter. ... Until fairly recently a newer range of germanium transistors were available - the AF121 and AF125 being useful general-purpose devices that will replace the whole AF117 series. They have smaller cans and the leads are in a different order. This is therefore not an invisible repair, but they are reliable. However the AF121 and AF125 are no longer available, nor are any other high frequency germanium transistors. ... Audio transistors

Audio output and driver transistors can also give problems. They sometimes become intermittent, and the same screwdriver handle tap-test will often reveal the problem.

This seems to affect many audio transistors including OC71, OC78, OC81, AC127, AC128, AC176, AC187 and AC188. The problem is not as universal as with the AF117 series however, and replacement with a similar transistor from a scrap set will often be a permanent solution. ..."

Whiskers form both in the air space and through the jelly [Silicone?]???:

Tin Whiskers Growing Inside ~45 Year Old AF114 Transistors:

Quote: "... [pdf-page 9] Whiskers Grow Readily Within and Through the Jelly-Like Substance. ... EDS Spectra of one whisker ? Confirms whisker is Tin (Sn) ..."

-

Is this correct? Then many lead free solderings will suffer?:

Anybody remember this?:

Quote: "... They're called tin whiskers. There's a reason why they put lead in solder. I guess you can expect every single piece of test equipment with ROHS standard to fail in the next 10 years. ..."

Reply to
Glenn

--
Well, let me put it in a away even you might understand:

Just because you can't discern sense doesn't mean it isn't there.
Reply to
John Fields

On a sunny day (Sat, 30 Jun 2012 12:19:53 +0200) it happened Glenn wrote in :

ESA Cassini space probe went into safe mode because of what is believed to be a whisker growth problem:

Jan Panteltje

a whisker growth problem:

There is more about whiskers here:

The Art of Metal Whisker Appreciation: A Practical Guide for Electronics Professionals

Quote: "... Coatings of Tin, Zinc and Cadmium are especially able to develop whiskers; but, whiskers have been seen on Indium, Gold, Silver, Lead, and other metals too ... Transport Mechanism -> primarily grain boundary diffusion Transformation -> diffusing atoms aggregate at the root (NOT the tip) of the forming whisker ... The Bad News: Current theories and test methods DO NOT have predictive power of the time-dependence of Whisker Density, Length or Thickness Distributions

A useful theory should identify what we must control to make confident predictions. Such a theory has remained elusive ... [Look at pdf-page 10] ...

1950s and 60?s [1] [2]: Bell Labs worked through the periodic table to determine whether addition of some element to a Tin coating would ?quench? whiskering ? Adding 0.5 - 1% (by weight) of lead (Pb) works ? Some additives seem to enhance whiskering

Since 1990s: Most US MIL specs require adding Pb to any tin coatings used around electronics. ? Concentration is usually named as 2% to 3% Pb by weight for ?margin?

What additives quench zinc and cadmium whiskers? ? We don?t know, but certainly NOT chromate conversion finishes! ... ? No material depletion observed around the base of whisker ? No correlation between whisker length and thickness ... [pdf-page 18]

  1. Long-range diffusion of atoms of the surface metal supplies material for whisker growth. ? Normally, no depletion of material observed in vicinity of whisker growth. ? Whiskers demonstrated to be made of atoms supplied from long distances [radioisotope experiments by Kethner and Kadereit in 1970 and Woodrow in
2006].

  1. THEN A MIRACLE OCCURS to initiate whisker growth. 45Volts) ... Spec Required >3% Pb by weight in the Tin Plated Finish; HOWEVER; PURE TIN was Supplied ANYWAY!!! ... Whiskering is dramatically inhibited when 0.5% (or more) lead (Pb) is added to Tin coatings: the shorting rate then approaches zero ? This has been the case for the Hi-Rel community ? But Pb use is being restricted by international legislation, and so the shorting rate may jump to 10% from zero ==> SWATCH GROUP

Reply to
Glenn

--
Umm...

I think he was agreeing with you.
Reply to
John Fields

On a sunny day (Sat, 30 Jun 2012 13:10:49 +0200) it happened Glenn wrote in :

That is an impressive document. One thing strikes me, when I look at those whiskers I cannot help but think they are guided by electrical filed strength, I did not see that mentioned as cause anywhere (have not read all of that pdf yet). Somehow the whiskers always point right to the other conductor?

BTW I think AF118 is not an error,

I have replaced some, but never looked for teh reason why o tfailed. It was in the video input stage.

That does not seem to play in my browser.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Amusing that Jamie sees my situation that way. His criticism of other's people's mental inadequacies regularly look more like an exhibition of his own.

In other words Jamie couldn't understand what was being said, and threw his rattle out of the cot to vent his frustation.

Jamie doesn't react well to stuff he can't understand.

The trouble with lawyers is that they frequently don't understand the reality which the words are intended to represent. Rewriting a patent after a lawyer has made it legally unambiguous can be an entertaining exercise.

But at a level that Jamie can't access.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Droit de Seigneur?

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

yet).

In one or the other document, two unused AF11x was cut open, and they also suffered of whiskers.

The whiskers grow at the base - not at the top.

Maybe it is nanites ;-) :

(
)

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Hi Fred

I thought about writing "on" instead of "in" - but that seem not to matter. Your interpretation and my "spelling" will lead the group way out of topic in a few posts...

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

On 30/06/12 14.08, Jan Panteltje wrote: ...

Try these "direct" links:

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Transistors often make better diodes than diodes (but all three legs are still needed).

Reply to
krw

A tin-foil hat? Nah, the tin-foil hat brigade are hardly well grounded. They're really out there.

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Sat, 30 Jun 2012 15:54:30 +0200) it happened Glenn wrote in :

OK, that works, downloade teh movie. It is like it is freaking alive! Like a plant. In that pdf it says they found it gets its material from far away. and indeed you see no changes at the 'root'. Maybe new life form? Facinatin!

same

Reply to
Jan Panteltje