Hi, why transitors have 3 legs?

spares.

A high school friend ended up being a watchmaker. He showed me some of the "23 Jewel" movements that were in reality, a cheap, standard, 17-jewel movement with six "jewels" taped to the back cover. Then there're the Rolez watches, sold on some of the best street corners in Manhattan.

Reply to
krw

What's your problem? Little jealous because your mental faculties are no challenge for JK ?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

JF been hanging on the net for to long.

Yup, I think his problem is, he still in hippy land!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

We only referred them as legs in cases that support themselves..

For example:

TO-92, where when solder on the board, they become the supporting member that holds/stands the package. In which case, we may refer to them as legs.

Any other case, where the package does not require the support of the leads as legs, they are then leads or pins.

say it as you may, when some one says legs, I assume a free standing package via it's leads.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

So a DIP or even an SO package has legs? A QFN must, too. By that reasoning all passives have legs, even SMT. Nope, not buying that difference, either.

Reply to
krw

Call them legs if you like, but it IDs you as an amateur.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

What's the sunflower doohickey?

Reply to
bitrex

It was a photo, idiot. The photographer doesn't matter and he did not write the caption either.

I got it from a page about Fairchild semiconductor.

You know... the FIRST IC chip maker.

You lose... again... idiot.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

For him it's "if you like", but me and John are "amateurs", right, Larkin?

You are transparent, boy.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

So you disclaim knowing everybody here that is playing the game.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Delay line, first step experiment for a picosecond arbitrary waveform generator. It evolved into this

and finally this:

The idea is to sum gaussian impulses, timed by delay lines, to make an arbitrary waveform. Brute force.

Fun stuff. It's sort of cheating, taking the tail end of Shannon's Sampling Theorem.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

message=20

message

=20

the

Leads, legs, pins, terminals, dohickies or whatever; the term used don't mean squat so long as clear communication is achieved.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Not always. Depends on the context.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Dang. You are really being a pedantic prunt about this.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Same thing.

Who knows? It's mostly for educational value.

Light meters, otherwise, like I said, probably not much output power from running a low current device in reverse.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Don't you mean valves? :-)

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

--
Straw man.
Reply to

--
They have pins, not leads.

Which of these sounds wrong: "U7 pin 3" or "U7 lead 3" ?
Reply to
John Fields

--
They usually use simple numerical reference designations, i.e. "Q1-1"
"U7-3" etc., so your question is specious.

--
I'm an amateur because, instead of forcing everyone to comply with my
version of what's acceptable wording, I discuss the matter with